Spring Break Texas Run 2017 - Tools and Such

Started by MiniDave, February 08, 2017, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Maybe we should list who's bringing what?

I can never decide just how much I should bring and usually tend to overdo it, but as we'll be out in the boonies I thought maybe a little extra stuff would be smart? Also we have a number of tow vehicles so we can carry a lot of stuff - my thought is the more we have the less chance we'll need it - you always need what you don't have and can't get!

My thoughts....I plan to bring in the tow car.....

Floor jack and 2 stands. (My jack is REALLY heavy, I know Don has an aluminum one so we'll bring his)
Tool box with hand tools
Oil drain pan
Extra fuel cans
Shop rags
Wheel chocks
Towels and car wash up stuff
Waterless Hand Cleaner
Drill and Bits
Gasket paper and sealer
RTV
Electrical stuff - wire, connectors, tools
Fuses
Small electric tire pump
Carpets
Oil filter tool
Duct tape

Parts:
Oil and filter
Hydraulics - wheel cylinders and slave - I have both styles of slave
Brake Fluid
Coolant
Clear water
Valve cover gasket
Grease
Radiator hoses
Clamps
Wheel bearings
CV boot kits
Spark plugs
Coil
Ball joint kits

Anything we should add to either list?

We should all have on our runs:
Spare tire (with air in it!  ;D )
jack
correct lug nuts

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

In the mini I will have a tire plug kit and compressor & basic hand tools.

In the truck I will bring a 10x10 shade type tent, carpet for the ground, a few spares (I will look at the pile and make a list).

MPlayle

I usually have a small amount of stuff: scissor jack, lug tool, small (basic) tool kit, spare & lugs, air compressor.  I will have extra fuel, nitrile gloves, towels and such as well.

I'll have to look for fuses and maybe get a spare electric fuel pump (Mr. Gasket 42S worked great on the SPI-to-carb conversion).

I'm not sure about getting a canister type oil filter for the Moke - had planned on converting to spin-on and have that kit.

I like some bits for the minor "emergency" sort of thing, but figure a tow home for anything "major".

Oh, I also carry a basic first aid kit.

MiniDave

I have actual Lucas style glass fuses in 15 and 25A

Shade is a great idea, especially if something breaks and it's raining or hot. I have some small carpet scraps (18 X 24") that I use to lay on.

The only reason I'm bringing an extra oil filter is in case one leaks - shouldn't be a problem with a canister style.

Electric fuel pump is a good idea, although those are readily available at most auto parts stores....I'm thinking more the Mini specific stuff that you can't get.

Maybe a small battery charger?

Fan belts? (Again, I get mine at the local autozone tho)

Water pump?

Hoses and hose clamps?

We still have time to order some stuff in if we need it.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Aren't most of you guys already bringing spare cars?  Lol

MiniDave

Yes, but if the Mini won't roll.....and on some runs we'll be more than a hundred miles away from the tow vehicles.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Classic Mini's United trips = 3 days = 75-140 Miles each day of driving.  Without a doubt, the single 'CONSUMED, broken item that goes bad while motoring  in the twisties are Wheel bearings.  Mostly Fronts.

Replaced Fronts for one guy in the  Bristol Motor speedway lot. Between all the attendees = there were enough parts to get it done right there in under an hour. ( breaking loose ball joints + large Castle axle nut socket were the most necessary tools. Of course a Drift and hammer got the job done.

Second friend.  started hearing the rumble half way thru the second day = got it back to home base = towed on home the next day.

other random things happen but in a group of like minded dudes= every one is ready to get er fixed!

Another moke = had issues when pulling hills= just absolutly lost fuel... falls on face= slow down. runs agian..
  had to get a tow home - singe part he changed was the  fuel float needle.  The thought is, ethanol fuel has caused swelling or sticking to the original needle..  New float needle = motored without question for 3 more days.

WD-40 Drives out water from distributor caps (very nice to have on hand)
  also  = if raining.  splash shields in the grill are worth the effort.

2 clutch Slave cyl's went out on a drive=  Limpable home = but diffiuclt in traffic areas - Spare Slave = 2 hour back at home base= Fixed. (with brake fluid)

I was driving on the 3rd day = and my steering was feeling funny.. turn= wait= car shifts and finally turns.
Got home = jacked her up =  Two bolts from the steering rods to the nuckles wer VERY LOOSE. !!! absolutely my fault for not checking= torquing = tabbing on the last rebuild 2 years ago.

Things will happen with cars that sit 80% of their days. but the simplicity means things can be fixed.

Rears would be simpler but same.

MPlayle

I believe I have some new front roller bearing (disk brake style) I can toss in as well as some of the tools for that type of job.  I got the bearings for the green Van I had a while back and did not need to use them.

MiniDave

I have new front and rear bearing kits in boxes I can bring.

We had to change a wheel bearing on the front of Bruce's Mini on the way home from Sandy Eggo to Dallas, fortunately my son lives in Phoenix and we did it at his house/shop.

I had a slave cylinder fail on an Ozarks run, Dooder had a spare and I was back on the road in a couple of hours....these two experiences are why I'm asking what all to bring, it's almost guaranteed someone will have a failure of some sort, and while I don't want to rebuild a car on the side of the road, sometimes having the right bit can get you going again and save the day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

With all this talk about front wheel bearings, would anyone by any chance have a pair of (used) plastic protective shields that normally come with a bearing kit?  Or, does anyone know where to get these without buying a new bearing set?

I managed to break one somehow last summer when re-greasing the bearings and hadn't really thought much of it until now.  It's a shame these aren't available as a separate item.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

It's just to keep water out, and I doubt it does much...unless you're fording streams or launching boats, you can get by without it.

I'll dig around, I may have a used one I can mail you but really, it'll be fine without it. After all, the rears don't have those and they seal up just fine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Quote from: MiniDave on February 08, 2017, 04:56:12 PM
It's just to keep water out, and I doubt it does much...unless you're fording streams or launching boats, you can get by without it.

I'll dig around, I may have a used one I can mail you but really, it'll be fine without it. After all, the rears don't have those and they seal up just fine.

That's why I left it out at the time, but the car wasn't my daily driver at that time.  I guess that if I clean and repack every year or two, I'll probably be fine.  I figured I'd ask though, as it seems as though it 'should' be there if one were to do the job right.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

As well as you service your cars, I would not worry about it. I'll still have a dig around and see if I have an extra tho.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Just went thru the pile of spares to bring.

front and rear roller wheel bearings
steering tie rod end
pot joint complete and spare boot
rear wheel cylinders, .5 & .75
mech fuel pump
A+ dist, coil & plug wires
waterpump, non-bypass, 2 belts
upper and lower hoses
clutch and single line brake masters
knuckle joint
gaskets and other small bits

tools for any of these jobs

MiniDave

Did we talk about walkie talkies?

I know Don has a pair, and I have a pair I can bring.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Do you mean the FRS style. I have a pair also. The main problem is hearing it while driving. More so if the windows are down. As long as we have cell phone coverage maybe just a list of phone numbers for everyone.

MiniDave

I agree it can be difficult to hear them, I clip mine to my seat belt so I don't have go reaching for it and so I can hear it better.

Cell coverage can be iffy out there in the hills but I agree we need to exchange a cell numbers list. I think I have most everyone's already now that Mike Playle and I spoke the other day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

We can definitely exchange cell phone numbers.  Although, being in an open Moke, I would be the most disadvantaged at hearing a FRS radio and probably even my cell phone while driving.  When leading drives, I do try to be diligent about scanning rear view mirrors to check on the group being together.

MiniDave

On the last event I ran around Eureka Springs, the last car in the line had a particularly bright set of small running lights mounted low under his bumper - they weren't obnoxious but I could easily see them and it made it really easy to keep tabs on everyone in between....if I could see him it meant we were all together.

I have a feeling on these wide open hilly roads we may get a bit of separation from time to time, but as long as we have a meet up point, we should all gather up again ok.

I expect another good thing to bring will be lots of cold drinks.......a small cooler would probably do nicely.

Michael, what's your expectation of traffic on these roads this time of year? Will we be dodging motorhomes or motorcycle groups?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Traffic on most of the roads is usually light.  We are not likely to be dodging motorhomes.  We are more likely to have ranch vehicles dodging us.  Possibly some motorcycle groups, but being mid-week, less likely even though it will be in the "Spring Break" season.

I usually run with a small cooler with  few bottles of water.  I have a mid-to-large size cooler I could bring to put quite a bit more bottles of water for the whole group.  Since I'm "solo" in the Moke, I can belt/strap it in the rear seats.

John Gervais

For walking around at the vintage races, I bring a document carrier tube or fishing rod case filled with water bottles, though canned beverages also fit.  The heavy cardboard liner keeps the water cool and the shoulder strap makes it easy to carry.  It's also easily stowed, as it can lay across the car on the rear seat, on the floor behind the front seat or across the boot.
- Pave the Bay -