You guys getting spam?

Started by 94touring, February 05, 2017, 10:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I keep getting cloan type spam messages that cloak my email. Are any of you getting them too?

Willie_B

MiniDave

Yes, I get them in bunches, in my email provider I can report them as spam and eventually they stop. PITA.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on February 05, 2017, 11:10:53 AM
Yes, I get them in bunches, in my email provider I can report them as spam and eventually they stop. PITA.

You're getting them with my email attached?

MPlayle

MiniDave

No, I used to....remember when I asked you about that? It's been a while tho.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

I have received a few of those clone emails from you. Not actually you , but mirroring your info.   Just a spam link in them and the actual email addy is giberish.  Last one I received was probably a month ago and have received a few this past year....maybe 5 or 6.

jeff10049

had about 6 that I saw I rarely check that email so who knows.

MiniDave

I've been getting them from my son's email address lately....when you look at the sender's complete address it usually ends in .ru, that's the tipoff.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A few years ago I had the same problem but then it just stopped.  Not sure why it's back again  8.gif

94touring

Changed a few settings today as myself and Jim are definitely getting hit with these spam mails daily.  Hopefully I figure out something to get it to stop.

MPlayle

They may not even be coming from the forum.  They may be coming from somewhere else and spoofing the sender address to appear to be coming from the forum.  If your name has been on someone's contact list or in a retailer's system that got hacked, they will scavenge the name for spoofing/covering the actual sender.

For a while my mom's old email was getting slammed by 50-60 spam's per day.  Several of which "appeared" to be sent by her own name.  A check of the header source showed her name was being spoofed in place for some mass marketing email addresses.

It definitely was not her computer as I would check her account remotely while her computer was turned off and she would receive new ones while I was logged in remotely on her provider's webmail server.

MtyMous

94touring

BruceK

I guess a side benefit of not receiving the newsletter, is that I don't get the spam?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on February 07, 2017, 12:02:45 PM
I guess a side benefit of not receiving the newsletter, is that I don't get the spam?

Probably unrelated to the newsletter.  One way is for spammers to view profiles and snatch your email address.  So I've made that private to outside guest.

jeff10049

These spammers are real assholes I have been getting emails from Beth a real person at the USFS that we do work for that look like they are from the USFS. So I open them and it's some BS company that wants to charge you 60 a month to get you more government bids. What assholes that alone would make me NEVER EVER do business with them why don't they just say who they are? Sons a bitches anyway.

94touring

Since changing a few privacy settings I haven't received any more spam.  You guys/gals?

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

OK Dan, you have gone too far, this just showed up at my office.  As if the relentless email was not enough?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

I wondered how long before someone posted such a picture.

John Gervais

Mmmm - Spam, eggs, bacon and spam...   77.gif

- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

That is the other post I was waiting for.

94touring