KAD crankshaft damper?

Started by John Gervais, January 21, 2017, 07:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

As with any maintenance project, things can quickly get out of hand.

I'm planning on fixing a timing seal oil leak, don't really know which seal is leaking at the moment, so I'll be buying pretty much all of the gaskets and seals associated with the crank and camshaft.

While the engine is out, I'm thinking it'd be a good time to install a cross-pin diff and the associated fiber washers and gaskets and seals.

My current rubber crank damper is the thick standard 'S'-type, and I know it to be 'old', cracked and not in the best shape.

So, since it'll be a good opportunity to replace and upgrade, might as well install a better damper, but really can't seem to find a cost-effective alternative to the KAD Viscous Crank Damper Pulley unit.

Does anyone know of an less expensive alternative and or if there are any fitment issues with the KAD?
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

I called KAD and it sounds like a very well made crankshaft damper, and when comparing to the ATI - (scroll down a bit), SH Engineering or BHJ Dynamics units, it's actually not too badly priced.  Jason (or was it Justin?) told me that it's filled with a silicone gel, well sealed and should outlast the engine, and was also told that fan belt changing shouldn't be an issue.

It even comes with a new bolt.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I can't imagine anything from KAD being "reasonably priced"!  ;D

Why are you changing it, is the old one damaged? The rubber torn?

Unless replacing a bad one, I've never seen any difference in the engine's smoothness or performance using these modern dampers. The main use in my experience is in replacing a failed OEM damper - they probably will never fail again in the owner's life.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I'm changing it because I'm planning and collecting bits to fix a pesky timing seal oil leak.
My current damper is the thick 'S'-type, and it was old when I put it on 15 years ago.  The rubber was a bit aged and cracked, so I can only imagine what it's like now.  It's still holding together and is better than nothing, but should be replaced.

My options were limited, as MSC didn't have one in stock of the same type I'm currently using.  That left a new damper ring for the bolt-on type - I have a pulley - in a box - , but this would require balancing after assembly.  Who in Denmark does that???  I haven't any idea, and 99.9% of the locals wouldn't know either - even if they did.  It's a cultural thing.

So, that leaves me (on my own) to find suitable alternatives - either a built-up & balanced unit from the UK, or another 1-piece from somewhere. 

And then I started thinking of longevity...  The rubber type will outlive me, as will the viscous, but the viscous will ensure dampening at all frequencies...

Since I was now thinking longevity, I figured I'd replace the timing chain while it's all opened up.  I've a cast duplex setup already, so I figured that I'd get one of those nifty German IWIS chains and simply forget about it.  Then started looking at steel gears...  Then found a nice, Rollmaster CS 8000 (at an extraordinary low price) like this one that's currently on sale at 7ent:  cs8000 and figured it'd be somehow better. 

It comes with the IWIS chain...
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Project creep strikes again!   ;D ;D ;D

I follow your reasoning 100%, and have fallen victim to it myself.   ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Project creep indeed!

It gets worse - I'm thinking that since my original plan was to buy a cross-pin diff, I just might add pushrods and followers to the gaskets, diff bearings & shims, thrust washers, locktabs, 'triangle plate', woodruff keys (0° & 1° offset), timing disk, crankshaft timing gear shims, gear linkage roll pin etc.  I'll order these later this week - possibly tomorrow, depending upon if I've forgotten something.

Earlier today I ordered a magnetic base and a dial indicator, as well as a light/medium-range torque wrench for the timing cover.

Just remembered - I need to get some oil.

It never stops...
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Indeed it doesn't stop.  I hate to think how far the creep on my Moke has gotten already in the "to do" list for it.  It is going to become quite the restoration and modification project once I get started doing actual work.

MiniDave

....and an oil filter, and a drain plug copper washer.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

CraigD

Heck, while you're in there why not go for it all and do a K1100 head conversion? I started by selling my '56 Ford F100 pickup for the cash to do it and ended up blowing that before I had the lump back into the car!

It's a disease, I know how it works.

John Gervais

- gasp -  :D

They haven't sent it yet because I said I wanted a free sticker to go with it, maybe next week.  Yes, it's a rather Trumponian approach to buying parts, but who's getting the free sticker! 

I win!   62.gif
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

After an intense battle with the project creep monster, I consulted my guru friend KC and then cancelled my KAD damper order.  He's going to get a MSC 2-piece 'S' damper assembled and balanced for me (I haven't found a semi-local machine shop who can balance things - I really need to work on this, someone does this work, need to find out 'who'.).  Additionally, I'll be getting a pair of simplex gears and one of his super-strong big-pin JWIS simplex chains.  I won't be getting a KAD sticker either.   :-X

I was also talked out of a new camshaft, as what I've got really is quite ok, as well as the pushrods and quality rocker adjustment screws I'd planned on.  The diff bearings won't be ordered, nor will a handful of other stuff as it's no longer needed. 

So, I got " " for bothering him at work and for being somewhat stupid. 

Well deserved.  50.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

A cold slap and you've been brought back to your senses!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I have a simplex chain setup from KC. A few other item also. Very pleased with the performance of the parts and the people.

John Gervais

Yep - and I needed it.   ::)

He's been an invaluable help over many years, and I agree, the quality of his work and merchandise is fantastic.  The simplex chain he carries is actually derived from the Holden Minaro timing chain, with extra beefy pins.  Without guys like him and the few in his network who take the initiative to source better quality parts for numpties like us, well, we'd be at the mercy of the mass-production merchants.

When I called him, he had 3 engines to be pushed towards the door for pickup - literally.  Of course I apologized for calling outside is normal office hours; I'm grateful that he took pity on me.  Great guy, busy guy, wonder why...   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I've emailed him a couple of times with questions of theory on how to make certain combinations work, he's always given thoughtful and appropriate replies....good guy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I'm soon switching from my duplex to the simplex, and will probably be talking to him relatively soon to ask about offset woodruff keys.  My camshaft has full intake valve lift at 110° ATDC, so who knows how far off the dots will be.  At around $10 each, it seems a lot to have 9 different offset keys on hand, so maybe I can borrow a handful if he's got bucketloads from all the engines he's dismantled.

I do remember that if the dots are more than 9° off, then I can move the chain 1 tooth and then use whatever key works.
- Pave the Bay -