'70 Mini - Rust repairs to Daily Driver (hopefully)

Started by Bahowe1, January 04, 2017, 12:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bahowe1

Thanks Dave, slight goof there, a compressor, not pump. Still, like mplayle said.  It makes me think about what I'll do.
Compressor is on now. I did have to clearance the front lip some, but I have a good gap now. Now, on to fitting the inside unit. Gotta buy one first.

MiniDave

You could cut that strap out completely for more room, I doubt it's structural enough to worry about.....in fact Don's has some of the lower valance right at that brace cut away for clearance for the compressor.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

Dave, I use those grill buttons to secure the grill, so that was my drive in keeping that strap.  It's got enough room now, so I think I am all set there.

Bahowe1

Time to take a break from all the work and have some fun.  We live relatively close to 'Christmas Town USA' so last night we took a trip over to see the lights.  If you've never heard of it, back in the day the local mill would give a power discount to those who decorated their house with Christmas lights.  The town became a local attraction at Christmas time.  Since then though, the town has changed a lot, and they've actually built a bunch of 'fancy homes' in there.  Basically everyone who lives in the town decorates now and people come from all over to see the lights.  We got a ton of comments and laughter, my favorite of which being, 'It's a classic mini cooper... BEAUUUUTIFUL!'  (obviously, it was VERY dark)

Bahowe1

I need a bit of help here... I just started thinking about that compressor from the Suzuki swift is what Minitec uses and I built a bracket for. However, that is a sanden 7b10 compressor with a clockwise rotation. These d series are ccw, right? How in the world does this work unless I were to flip the compressor backward (minitec doesn't)? What am I not thinking about?

MiniDave

Are you sure CCW? viewed from the crankshaft end? maybe it's CCW from the flywheel end?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

I just got home and cranked mine. When looking face on at the crank pulley, it is turning ccw. .. which means the compresser will also be turning ccw, but it's a clockwise compresser. So, what am I missing? Why does Minitec's work??

MiniDave

Check with Sanden, maybe it doesn't care?  Like a 2 stroke motor will run either direction......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

Supposedly (online responses), the 508 compresser runs either direction, but the 7b10 is cw. Tomorrow I plan to call them and see for sure. I don't understand. I feel like I must be thinking about something wrong.

Bahowe1

There is no such thing as calling Sanden.  They really want to respond to an email - 2 days later.  So, I eventually found a phone number as well and left a message.  In the meantime, I called Minitec and got on the phone with their AC guy.  He said it can turn either direction, it is the same compressor they have been using for 10 years and never had a problem. 
Hmmm... what should I do?  Minitec really doesn't do many AC's.  Sanden info says only their 508 series compressor turns either direction.  So it makes me wonder... it works, but does it work well??

MiniDave

My brother worked for Sanden for a number of years in their refrigeration dept, let me send him a note, he lives in England so it may be tomorrow before I hear from him.

Edit : note sent to my brother, I should hear from him tomorrow morning. He still knows plenty of people at Sanden, so if he doesn't know I'm sure he can find out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK, here's the skinny.....the 5 series (5 piston) can run either direction, the 7 series (7 piston wobble plate style) are designed to only run one direction (CW) according to the applications engineer at Sanden.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

Dave, thank you very much!! So isn't that crazy. All those minitec kits are spinning the compressor backwards! I guess I will re-start the whole compressor thing then. I hope I can return mine and the 5 series aren't too big.

MiniDave

Wonder if that has something to do with the poor efficiency at higher speeds?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

So I decided to do it right, if I'm going to try to put in AC.  I sent the Suzuki Swift compressor back because it really is not supposed to turn CCW (a big thank you to Dave!!).
I went to Pull a part and snagged a compressor off a 99Civic, and the condenser and fan.  Honestly, I was planning to just use the compressor as a 'fitup' component, but when I cracked open the system, it was clearly still charged and seemed in really good shape.  So, I will try it out for more than just a fit up component.
This weekend I got the brackets re-made to fit it all up and even though I had to restart it all, I really like the mounting on this new one better.  But... the compressor is certainly larger, so I had to do some more body clearance -ing.  Thankfully, we have grills, so it'll all look good.
The one piece hanging down there, I cut out the old strap and welded in a thicker piece of metal, this eventually will be drilled and hold the 'grill button' to mount the grill. 
I also got in a 'mock up' Vintage Air, inside unit - neat concept where they sell you a case and then once you are done using it for fit up, you send it back and they refund you.  Nice!  Anyways, that will also take some creative placement, but we are moving at least.

The next steps are to figure out how to finish fit the mock up unit (which means moving all my ECU and fuse boxes), fab up something to put tension on the compressor belt, and then do some research on potentially a different radiator, so hopefully I can fit both radiator, and condenser in the area where the radiator now sits.

MiniDave

Modern A/C systems are truly amazing, it used to be common that you had to go have your A/C recharged every year, our Audi is 14 and never been cracked, the MINI is 9 and the same....pretty wonderful stuff!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Bahowe1

Thanks Joakwin - I've been watching your build too.  It's amazing how quickly you are moving along.  You are doing a great job.

So this weekend I became sick of making 'custom' brackets.  I made a custom bracket to fit an idler in to tension the AC belt, and thankfully, autozone had a belt that was near the perfect length, so I didn't need to have a lot of movement in the tensioner.  The tensioner works by just pulling it tight and tightening the nut.  Works well.  The compressor I bought at pull a part had a stuck bolt in it that I can't get out, so maybe this week I will swap with another.  The condenser doesn't fit because the fittings on it, but it is the right size.  So, hopefully Ebay can help me out.
In the meantime, I worked on the inside trying to fit the Vintage air inside unit.  Years ago when I mounted all the electrical components, I put them the only place I thought they fit.  Well... none of them were in the right spot for where the vintage air unit needs to be.  So, I took them all out, moved them toward the middle of the dash and that Vintage air unit now (with some work) fits great!  So, I remounted all my electrical stuff and my dash will need to be completely reworked. I actually like it much better now, the fuses will be hidden, but will be super easy to access now. 
The weather hit mid 60's yesterday... have to take advantage of that!  So, I did some driving (about 60 miles) and then decided to make a custom bracket for a 3rd brake light.  No doors, no hood, no boot lid (no plate), and only a front windshield for glass... but I need a 3rd brake light.  Because that is safe!! 

I should explain pictures...
First one, after unbolting fuse blocks and relays which were mounted under dash on the far left side
2 Realizing the Vintage Air unit, although small, is huge
3 Finding the right spot for the vintage air unit, (tucks awesome!) now have to move ECU, fuse blocks, relays, everything
4 Nice picture of unit, with everything mounted except fuse blocks, relays
5  Fuse blocks and relays mounted-ish
Next post will have the idler, and 3rd brake light

Bahowe1

I guess I should also apologize for the dark and light difficult to see pictures.  Pretty much all my work on the car is done at night... while everyone else sleeps...

Bahowe1

Got a lot done this weekend.  I got the condenser in the mail... smallest one I could find to try to get to fit.  It's a 12x14, which should be sufficient to cool this puppy.  However, the headlight buckets will not fit in the hole anymore with the condenser behind it.  The condenser is only like 5/8ths thick.  Oh well.  Guess I will have look at different headlight options... like the Truck Lites.  I really hate that. *sarcasm*
I bought one, just to see what it does, man, the light quality is phenomenal!  And it is shallow enough that I can fit the condenser.  I did a lot of headlight research (including on this forum) and I do believe these lights are where it's at.  I'm a fan.  Now, I just need to sell my second born to get the left side one.
Funny story... when I bought my first one, I told the guy at the counter I would be trading him my first born for it.  She wasn't paying any attention (so I thought)... and then she asked me if I would really do that.  Ha!  Oops.
Also, the turn signals would no longer fit because the housing is so deep, it fouled on the condenser.  So, I bought some LED trailer markers and modified them to get them down to a size to fit in the turn signals.  Nice!  No more bulbs to change and the light signal is also very nice.
I also de-skinned a boot lid... only to find the frame is also junk.  And, re-skinned a door.  Still need to put a bit of weld at the top edges, but it's almost done.
My buddy Jedduh rolled over to the house Saturday night and lent a hand.  So much fun working on a car with a buddy!  He worked on the seat bracket, got it a little lower and better position for getting in and out and generally was a fresh set of eyes to key me in to what else I should modify of the things that I have started to just 'deal with'.  All good ideas.  Sharp and very capable dude - who also works on other people's stuff in the local area.  Fun times.  Some pictures below...

94touring

Well you're coming along and we'll get you squared away on that boot lid.  Any tentative plans when paint goes on?

Bahowe1

I'm hoping for paint right after the CMU event in April. You guys are all coming, right?
I don't have time to do all the modifications I still need to do, get it torn down, painted, and rebuilt before the event.   I'd like to be all done (sorta) in the summer. The sorta part is because Im not ready to spend on the interior yet.

MiniDave

I'm planning to be there at the CMU event for sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

Got a good bit done this weekend.  I got my order in the mail from MiniSpares, so I had been waiting on a fuel tank mount bracket.  I got that welded in, so the tank is now secure.  I am convinced each time a tank comes out of a mini, it never goes back in the exact same spot. 
Also, got new rear cones, and rear shocks and installed them.
Modified the shifter to be close to the driver. 
Finished the mounting bracketry for the AC condenser, and got it all clearanced.
Got both of my new headlights installed.
Got the door that I re-skinned welded up, so all that is left on it is seam sealing.
Got the Vintage Air real inside unit (not the mock up) installed.  Man, that little unit looks factory.  I'll have to get some more pictures of it - pictures came out terrible (dark).
I spent hours figuring out the fittings and hoses I need for the heat and cool portion of the system, so I need to make that order now so hopefully I can wrap up buying components for the AC/heat/defrost portion of this project and concentrate on getting them in and looking right.
Next steps - lots.  Connect up all the components of the AC/heat/defrost with hoses and wires, and mounting control panel and heater shutoff valve. 
Make brackets for radio install, cut speaker holes, make speaker enclosures, antenna positioning.
Install a bigger radiator/condenser fan.   

MiniDave

Where will you get your A/C fittings and such, Vintage air or somewhere else?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad