Christmas I did not spend at home.

Started by towjoe, December 28, 2016, 09:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Wait, you are a marine Vet. 

First, thank you for your service.

Second, cancer picked the wrong person to mess with, never fuck with a Marine.

Kick its ass!

Good luck to you sir, sounds like you are well on your way.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

towjoe

towjoe

As of this past Tuesday I have 2 weeks left with Radiation. My Chemo will carry on for a few more days past the  Radiation.
I still feel good ,a bit more tired. A bit less hair mainly on my left side.
Thats all for now.
Regards
Joe 77.gif

BruceK

Glad to hear you are doing well. 

By the way, having hair on your head is vastly overrated!  I should know. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

Kick its ass seabass!!  You are on the end of it, hope to hear you celebrate you life day when you PET scan comes back clean.

We celebrate it with my friend Kevin and his wife after she kicked cancers ass a few years ago.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

towjoe

I finished my Radiation on Monday & my Chemo will finish on Thursday the 6th of April.
I have lost some hair on my left side of head.
Still feel OK..
Pix 1 : The ringing of the bell , ending my radiation.
Pix 2 : Lost hair
Pix 3 : Family & friends
Pix 4 : My radiation team celebrating with me
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

4 Attachments

MiniDave

Hey Joe, the good news is you're still with us and will be motoring again soon, so keep the faith baby!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

towjoe

Hi Everyone,
I'm planning on attending MME in Ohio this year.
Assuming my MRI is ok.
Will let you all know for sure that I am riding up with a friend uf mine.
Regards
towjoe  77.gif

94touring

Glad to hear you're doing well and in good spirits.

Jims5543

Congrats Joe!!  Excuse my ignorance, what are you holding, I am guessing you wear that and it puts a target where the radiation is to be applied?

Hope you are feeling well sir.  Finger crossed for a clear PET scan.... or are they just doing an MRI?

towjoe

Hi All,
The item I'm holding is called a helmet. It allows the nurses to lock your head down at the correct direction.
Not hard to use at all. I enjoyed all the nurses. The other photo are my best friend, my son and my youngest daughter,and her daughters.
Take care everybody. I hope i'll make it to MME.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

towjoe

Hello everyone,
On 4/11/17 I had my MRI.
Today 4/17/17 we got my results. in spite of  6 weeks of brain radiation and oral chemo therapy.
The brain tumor has spread to several areas of my brain.  These areas cannot be radiated or surgically resected due to potential damage to brain tissue.
The plan is to go to National Cancer Institute to see if I qualify for any clinical trials.
There are some other options available to me locally also, if it turns out there are no trials that I qualify for.
My doctor feels  that the NCI doctors need to see how well I'm doing in person , instead of just sending paper records. Sometimes it would make a difference in
acceptance into a trial.
That is where I am now.
Although we are disappointed , I am staying positive that there are treatments available for me that will slow progression of the cancer.
After my next Doctors appointment in 3 weeks I should have more information.
Regards
Semper Fi
towjoe (Joe)  77.gif

MiniDave

I'm sure that was tough to hear......

I'm hopeful they can help you - best of luck going forward, and let us know what happens, please.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope there is something they can do to stop the spreading. 

Willie_B

Staying positive is the biggest thing. After all, we do drive clown cars for the happy thoughts and smiles we get from others. That must be why it is hard not to smile when driving a mini.

BruceK

Joe, I'm wishing you all the best with the NCI.   Keep on keeping on.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Gutted to read this Joe.

If it is any consolation, I have a good friend in Quebec, his GF (basically wife) has a large brain tumor. They cannot operate on it due to it location and it has caused her a lot of problems. They have reduced its size and are managing it through meds to the point that she functions pretty normal in life.  Keep in mind, they have universal health care there, she has to wait months to get treatment and when she finally gets in, they work very fast to turn her out and move to the next patient. My friend has expressed frustration to me over this many times.

I am fairly confident you will get much better care and a comprehensive plan that will result in quality of life from hereon out.

Keep positive you are in my constant thoughts good man.

Jimini II

Sure not the words you wanted to hear Joe. Your positive outlook and the possibility of the NCI doctors taking you as a patient is a big plus. Keep the spirits up and when they see you and how well you have come along so far i am sure you will be accepted.

John Gervais

Good luck Joe, stay positive and strong.  77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

towjoe

There is something  I've forgotten to mention. I will be selling my mini. Very soon because I'm unable to drive anymore.
I will be taking photos and post to you guys.
I'll want your opinion on where to sell and what price. I was considering Mini Maina and BAT ,also Malcolm  may be able to help.
Anyway , I need to do a few things to get it ready,
If you would  like the build and update info, send your email and I'll forward.  My email is : towjoe.js@gmail.com
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

94touring

towjoe

I'm doing OK . Just finished welding some bracing (24 gauge square tube) for a neighbor. Easy to blow through. 
So just waiting to hear from National Cancer institution in DC. They will tell me to come up there for review of
my cancer at this point.  The center has info from all over the USA. Hopefully they will come up with something to slowdown
my tumors growth.
I will let everyone know whats going on after I see my Chemo Dr., on 5/11/17.
Regards
Joe 77.gif

towjoe

Hello All.
I was in the hospital Tuesday through Thursday as I lost all vision in my right eye and they gave me IV steroids to see if it would help. It did not help my right eye, but they are hoping to save the partial vision I have left in my left eye. Thus, My wife, Karen is typing this message. The tumor has grown and is pushing on the optic nerve causing the blindness. I was discharged Thursday evening on oral steroids. Plan is to go to NIH early in June for their medical workup to see if I am a candidate for their Glioblastoma clinical trial. We were there a few weeks ago and it is an impressive place.Day one will be the medical workup, day 2 they will meet with us to let us know if I qualify. If I qualify, I go up once a month for 4 months, then every 2 months. my local neuro oncologist will follow along with me on my treatment. he has been a colleague of  the NIH DR for 20 years. Will let you know the outcome later in June.
Regards
Joe
Towjoe  Semper Fi