Coolant Level

Started by Flyinace2000, December 23, 2016, 06:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyinace2000

Been doing a lot of post restoration fixes.  Car needs an oil change and while I was assessing the other fluids i took a look in the radiator.  Here is what i saw.

https://goo.gl/photos/aXdY5KmFW1zq24Ht5

That doesn't look good.  Should there be that much mud/rust?  Can I simply top off or do i need to pull a hose and drain the entire system for a flush?

94touring

That's about how 9 out of 10 look like that I get my hands on.  Give it a good flush, it's probably due.  I like to flush mine about once a year. These dumb engines make mud for whatever reason.

MiniDave

Dan's right, every one of these seem to make mud over time - most of it winds up either in the heater or the bottom of the radiator, blocking a lot of the tubes.

Flush it out well with clear water, I would advise against using those flush chemicals, they're pretty harsh.

I take the lower hose off and run the garden hose in it till it comes out clean, let it drain down, then do it again. Then I put the hose back on and open the drain on the back of the block, if it has one - A+ engines don't. Then I fill it up, turn on the heater, start the engine and let it run a bit then open the block drain again and let it run (with the garden hose replenishing the radiator) till it all runs clear - this may or may not flush all the crap out, but it's a good start.

If an A+ with no block drain about all you can do is take the top hose off and let it run while adding water to the radiator as you go......heater open of course.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

Thanks everyone.  Can i just top it off for the winter, i won't be driving much (if at all) and then do the proper flush come spring. 

John Gervais

I'd like to add that I only use distilled water in my cooling system fluid mix, and a long medium sized cable tie makes a nice probe for the engine block's rear drain - which is oftentimes blocked with muddy crud.  I tend to probe the rear drain while I've got the garden hose slipped over the open heater valve nipple.
- Pave the Bay -

Flyinace2000

Also the engine is a 99HE20.  I believe my radiator lacks of drain plug so need to use the hose to drain/flush.

94touring

Flush out the heater core too.

Flyinace2000

Quote from: 94touring on December 23, 2016, 07:07:27 PM
Flush out the heater core too.

Can i do that from the hoses on the passenger side (right side) of the engine or do it as part of the system?

94touring

I unplug the line that goes into the heater valve on the head, and run the hose into that line. 

Flyinace2000

Quick update: topped her off a few days ago.  Took very little fluid.  Maybe 2 fluid cups.

Armycook

do you guys use a bottle of water wetter and distilled water?

94touring

I've used water wetter in the past.  Not sure how effective it really is.  Never solved any problems.  Otherwise 50/50 coolant and if you feel the need to dilute it use distilled water.

MiniDave

I agree, it didn't make one whit of difference in my car - but what fixed it was one of those inexpensive chinesium aluminum radiators. $60 shipped and problem over.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Armycook

No way! i heard George M (gtamini) mentioned that to me last year. He bought one of those ebay aluminum rads and never seen it overheat ever again.

94touring

All my cars get the ebay aluminum rad.  Cheap and effective.

MiniDave

Yep, I've run one in the Racing Green car for almost a year now with no issues.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I use distilled water and a splash o'Water Wetter and the MSC supercool 3-core.  No problems so far...
- Pave the Bay -