Quick Clip Rollpin

Started by BruceK, December 14, 2016, 03:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

In my opinion, there are some repair/maintenance jobs on a classic Mini that are no fun.  And for me, drifting out the rollpin that joins the rod change gearbox to the remote shifter is one of them.  (I did this back in the Spring to put a new oil seal in).  I hate trying to swing a hammer and hit a punch to drive out the little rollpin while on my back underneath the car. I got a nice ugly bruise under my thumbnail from a hammer swing that landed squarely on my left thumb rather than on the punch.  Curse words echoed for several minutes around my garage, and I had a black thumbnail for about 3 months before it grew out. (note to self: next time drill through the top of the nail - carefully - and let the blood out before it coagulates there)

My hatred for the rollpin prompted me to throw money at the problem and go for a quick fix.  I purchased a coupling link with easy-to-remove spring clips instead of roll pins. Yes, this device cost a whole lot more than a $2 rollpin, but it is so much easier to deal with.   

But, ever skeptical, I decided to use safety wire to ensure no road debris could force the clip off. (I really don't think that would happen, the clips feel very secure, so it is sort of overkill).

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think you just wanted an excuse to use your fancy schmancy safety wire pliers!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 14, 2016, 06:00:42 PM
I think you just wanted an excuse to use your fancy schmancy safety wire pliers!   ;D
I really do like how they spin quickly! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

I wish mine were candy apple red, mine are just plain old black...... ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I suffer from plier envy, but it doesn't make me bad.

Indeed, that's a nice modification.  What are the chances of it falling off without the safety wire - is the clip a tight fit?

(Some of us don't have fancy-shmancy pliers, not even the budget black ones.)
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Actually, I'm just glad to see Bruce back in the garage giving Emma some love and attention - do those bearings yet, Bruce?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Bruce, I just spent some time today trying to get that pin out....said to hell with it and will try another day.  I was going to put one of those gearbox bias barrel things on .  Also good to see that quick release install.  I think I am going to spring for one of those as well, and save a lot of grief when that is all connected to the car and if I ever need to remove it.

John Gervais

So, how about a link with the part number and where to get such an item?
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 15, 2016, 05:57:16 PM
Actually, I'm just glad to see Bruce back in the garage giving Emma some love and attention - do those bearings yet, Bruce?  ;D
Actually, I worked on that coupling back in the springtime, but just thought I'd share it. 

No, I haven't done the bearings yet.  I had the driver's door taken apart to deal with a bad latch mechanism.  I fixed that last weekend when the temperatures got back into the 60s.  I might try to work on the car a little this weekend.  Saturday should be 70 degrees here, and Sunday should be 18 degrees. (yes, seriously) I wonder which day I'll pick?   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on December 15, 2016, 05:50:01 PM
I suffer from plier envy, but it doesn't make me bad.

Indeed, that's a nice modification.  What are the chances of it falling off without the safety wire - is the clip a tight fit?

(Some of us don't have fancy-shmancy pliers, not even the budget black ones.)

The clips are spring steel and they seem to fit very tightly.  Use of safety wire is not needed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

Wow, thanks for the link - I've added it to my saved basket for someday...
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: stan360 on December 15, 2016, 06:22:43 PM
Bruce, I just spent some time today trying to get that pin out....said to hell with it and will try another day.  I was going to put one of those gearbox bias barrel things on .  Also good to see that quick release install.  I think I am going to spring for one of those as well, and save a lot of grief when that is all connected to the car and if I ever need to remove it.
The trick is, once you spend a lot of money to buy it, you will never need to access it at all.   :)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Merlin

What is written on the side of the clop? do you see a manufacture?
Engineering the Impossible

BruceK

Sorry, I installed that new coupler and clips about 7 months ago - I can't remember what markings it had.   The coupler was made of alloy (painted) and the clips were made of steel, but I don't know who manufactured it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S