Converting to Halogen from sealed beam

Started by stan360, December 13, 2016, 05:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I think you may be right.....John McGee tried some of these in his Suburban, he says they will just fit in a Mini headlight bucket but he's not sure about the heat and the plastic either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-10000LM-H4-LED-Headlight-Kit-9003-Bulb-Hi-Lo-Beam-Bulbs-HB2-Lamp-6000k/302291013337?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I've done quite a few headlight conversions. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Looks like you're on the right track and doing research. It's important to get a LED that emulates a halogen filament as closely as possible so that the reflector design still works in your advantage and doesn't just scatter light everywhere. You're on the right track. I'll be watching this one.

BruceK

Just noticed these full LED headlamps are on sale on Amazon.  Not cheap, but prices are coming down. 

GE Lighting 69821 Nighthawk LED 7-Inch Round Replacement Headlamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQX2BT8/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_96.jAbAJ80JAP
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 06, 2017, 08:50:00 AM
That's for one, right? so $300 the set?

Yup.  They sell the singly to include motorcycle market. 

Yeah.  Expensive.  But less expensive than they used to be from a named manufacturer.    There are of course no-name Chinese clone LED headlights that cost a lot less.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Bahowe1

How do these compare to the truck lites? Or as someone said, are they the same ones rebranded??  I'm very interested in trying them. I've been watching this topic for a while. Thanks!

MtyMous

I thought I had posted this in here earlier, but I guess I didn't.

If you want off-the-chelf solutions for LED headlights, you really should look at these guys' videos. They do detailed and unbiased analysis of headlights. The one you've posted is most similar to the TruckLite model. I believe it's a licensed version. Is uses nearly an identical reflector to the truck-lite and the same heatsink. I just think the Trucklite's "unbranded" look is way nicer looking.

Watch the whole video below before you buy anything. If you aren't happy with these, stay tuned to my build. I'm going to make my own LED projector headlights for Tink.