Back in the Game!!!!!!!!!

Started by MiniGene, December 08, 2016, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

Welp, I'm back in the Mini Game!

A couple of weeks ago, a guy posted this Mini on a local used car sales facebook group over here.  He said it had no compression on cylinders 3 and 4 and he was done with it.  I replied and asked if he'd be interested in trading for it.  Long story short, I traded a running Honda Civic for it!  The Civic was a car I needed to sell anyway, but had been procrastinating for quite some time.  This is the one time where my procrastination has paid off. 

Work is absolutely nuts right now so I don't have time to dig in and work on the problem myself.  This pic was from Tuesday when a tow truck picked it up to take to a classic Mini garage about 30 mins away. 

BTW, it's a 1986 Mini Piccadilly 998.

94touring

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

That looks great! what part of the world are you in?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That's the same color mine once was!  They marketed it locally as a limited edition 'Mini Disco' - it had a radio.  There's a family that usually parks theirs near to mine at the Copenhagen Grand Prix, theirs is still original and as there's not too many left 'round here, they're quite proud of it.

Beer with a caramel interior, or when Hyacinth was nearby, champagne with a cognac interieur.
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Hi!  Cool Mini you have there.   Looks to be a 1987 or so?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

YAY!!

The plate/tag says it all.  So fitting.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniGene

Thanks guys.  I'm anxious to hear from the mechanic and hear what his diagnosis is. 

From the paperwork I received, it looks like it had a "restoration" about ten years back.  It has some rough spots in some areas now.  The guy who I got it from lived in the dorms on base and was using it as his daily driver for a year and a half.  So that meant it wasn't in a garage and it was driven around here in the worst possible weather.  Minis don't last long here in those conditions.  Most of the times, you only see classic Minis out and about on nice, warm, sunny days.  But, it didn't have any problems that made me think twice about trading my not-being-used Honda.  It seemed like a no-brainer to me!!   71.gif

Once I get it back to the house I'll take some better pics of it and post them up.

Jim, my wife said the same thing about the plate-haha!

Bruce, it's a 1986 so importable back to the states.   77.gif

Dave, I'm currently in Northamptonshire, UK.

Kermy

The clear (almost) tail light lenses look cool.

MiniGene

That's one of the first things I can't wait to change.

MiniGene

94touring

You sold your mini?  What's next?

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 28, 2020, 10:56:21 PM
You sold your mini?  What's next?

I saw his post on IG the other day, wondered what the story was, seems he was having a hell of a time registering it. I am guessing he is in California?

MiniGene

Yeah, I sold it to Nate of Wild Child in Arizona.  It had been sitting in my driveway since August of 2018 as I had put it on the far back burner when getting out of the Air Force and starting my civilian life and career.  Finally, I decided I just didn't have time to scheme a way into getting it titled and registered here that wasn't either shady or a mega pain in the ass.  Time to move it along so somebody could enjoy it. 

I will say I was surprised that after charging the battery it was pretty easy to start after sitting for about 18 months.  I did give it a good ignition tune up right before we left England.  That probably played a factor in its ease to start. 

Not sure what's next.  I'd love to pick up a Mini that was legal here in CA, but cars of that vintage are expensive.  I'm not in a hurry to spend the money from the sale with the state of everything.  Luckily, my wife and I are still working but you never know until this Covid BA stuff is way behind us.

I do still have my 1977 project stored at my in-law's place in Arkansas.  I'll eventually have to figure out what to do with that one.  The good thing is that it at least has a stateside title in my name.