Hub swivel - how to tell if bad?

Started by ADRay, December 05, 2016, 06:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Pulled off my hub, finding that the swivels (ball joints) are acting differently from each other - one moves very tightly, one moves very loosely.

pretty sure it's supposed to be tight, but just want to make sure.

thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

They will loosen up over time, but the issue isn't the hub.  You may simple need to reshim if very loose.  They are supposed to be firm to move with the palm of your hand.

Kermy

That's the way its supposed to be. The lower one is tight because it has a spring in it.

MiniDave

When you take them apart and clean them if you see flat spots on the ball, or grooves or other wear, replace them, otherwise you won't be able to shim them correctly - if you shim in the worn place they'll be too tight when it moves and it could break, if you shim the non worn spot as it moves it will hit the worn area and be loose..

The "official" test is if you can't move it with a bare hand but you can with a gloved one - it's right. You set the bottom one up without the spring, then once it's set you take it apart again and add the spring.

You can buy packets of shims and new locktabs (which you should replace)

BTW, there is a discussion over on TMF about the locktabs, they insist that you should knock down every side of the nut with the locktab, I've only ever bent over two tabs, one on either side of the nut....bending it up all around seems like overkill and not necessary if you've shimmed and tightened the nut properly. What do you guys think? Remember, the locktab is only held in place by the grease zerk.......

Oh, and OP you need a deepwell 1 1/2" socket to tighten the nut properly.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

To hell with bending all sides of the locktab.  Totally overkill.

ADRay

thanks everyone. new parts are on the way and I will return if I have more questions.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998