Supplementary Strap on the Starter Motor?

Started by John Gervais, December 02, 2016, 07:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I just received a new inertia starter motor from MiniSpares - GXE4404.

Has anyone seen one of these before?  What do you recon the strap is for, and would you remove it?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Interesting.  I've never seen one like this.

My current starter, as well as the one on the spare engine that I've yet to rebuild, doesn't have the strap, only the cylindrical body as in the linked product photo.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Slip it off and take a peek inside!   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Erm, no thanks.  If I had an old one, then sure, why not.  I generally don't disassemble new parts in fear that I might mess them up. 
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Nah, it's just a cover - you won't hurt it. Besides, where's your sense of curiosity and adventure?   ;D

£44 is a pretty good price for a new starter like that, BTW.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That's why I bought it, it's always good to have a spare.  I'll take the clamp off and give it a lick of paint before I install it.  My minis original starter (9 tooth) has always made a weird sound when it comes off the flywheel, I can't really describe it, so even though it works fine, I'll send it off to be rebuilt, bubble wrap it and store it for future use.  I've no idea what condition the spare engine's starter is in, other than it looks nice.

This is probably something for another thread; I also bought a 70A alternator and will likely install it in place of the current 45A; the price was right (and a pair of steering rack gaiters, might as well fill the box).  I'm just not sure if my starter solenoid can accept another lead mounted on the B+ post. 
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 04, 2016, 06:05:45 AM
You had me at strap on.

Came into thread excited over strapon speak and possible pegging tips... left disappointed.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 04, 2016, 12:58:31 PM
Quote from: 94touring on December 04, 2016, 06:05:45 AM
You had me at strap on.

Came into thread excited over strapon speak and possible pegging tips... left disappointed.

Lol  :D

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

The starter for the AH-Sprite/MG-Midget has that same extra strap.  I pulled the attached picture from the listing for the starter on the 7Ent.com website.

John Gervais

This is what I expected to receive. (GXE4404) - I believe I counted the teeth to be '9', but now I'll have to check it again and write it down.

Here's the product description, including humorous spelling atrocities.

"Brand new Inertia starter with the correct 9 tooth pinion for all minis up to the fitment of the pre engaged type in 1984/5. Do not fit the 10 tooth starter sold by many as it can ruin the ringear or the bendix. Other leyland cars used 10 teeth such as Sprite,Spitfire and Mini Metro and often get fitted ass they are cheaper but 9 teeth is rarer to buy but is maent for Mini 107 teeth ringears

Brand new units these are sold on an outright basis without having to return your old unit. Perfect for overseas customers or classic car owners wishing to retain their original for rebuild at some stage as the donor units are now becoming very rare as they have not been fitted to production cars for over 20 years. These are closer to the later 35J type. Early cars had 35G starter which had different internals and the body usually had stamping numbers 25071-25075 or 25083 which used GSB102 brush sets."
- Pave the Bay -