Fuel level sender ............... Any info would help

Started by towjoe, November 29, 2016, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towjoe

I replaced my old sender. Pretty easy. Before I installed new one  I connected the old one with jumpers . Then I moved the float arm up  and down. I could see the fuel gage through the rear window. The old sender did not register higher than 1/4 fuel with the arm in full position.
The new one registered correctly. Bingo , it works.
Not so fast. I installed the new sender and added 5 gal. of fuel. I turned the key in the ignition .
The fuel gauge now registers 1/3 full, no higher.
I'm at a loss, so I drained the tank again.
That's where I am now.
Any suggestions would help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
towjoe 11.gif

94touring

towjoe

I'll take the sender out and see if the float floats.
To be continued..........................

Ugh
towjoe 11.gif

MPlayle

Could you have the new sender partially rotated such that it does not achieve full travel?

If so, it should read empty even with significant fuel in the tank.  It will mean draining again to correct, but you could add fuel back in in 1/2 gallon increments and see when how much goes in before the change starts registering on the gauge.

towjoe

MiniDave

Sometimes the arm can hang up tho, check to make sure it can move freely thru the whole travel - most guys just use a coathanger wire thru the filler hole to move the arm up and down.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Well I'm pretty sure this tank needs the one with a zig zag arm.  I looked at the one at Mini Spares

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Fuel/Tanks,%20fittings/XNB100380.aspx?1304&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/fuel%20sender.aspx|Back%20to%20search

I ordered the other one that is straight. That's what came out of my car.
So this morning I bent the arm to mimic the photo.
It appears to be working fine now.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes that is the one you should have Joe but as long as yours is working and as inaccurate as they in general just stay with what you have. Who the hell sold you that car with a miss matched sender unit anyway LOL.

towjoe