Author Topic: Hey Dan how much paint for a mini inside and out with base/clear?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline bikewiz

Title says it all primer/base/clear how much do you need to do a shell inside/outside/underside?

Offline 94touring

Re: Hey Dan how much paint for a mini inside and out with base/clear?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
Primer varies.  Let's say you have a bare metal shell, you'll want to spray an epoxy sealer on it first.  I only buy it a gallon at a time and it mixes 1 to 1.  I'd guess it takes a quart of primer and quart of the activator.  Then I spray a filler primer.  Again I buy it a gallon at a time but it mixes 4 to 1.  I probably go through half a gallon give or take at a time depending on condition of the shell. Then finally is a urethane sealer primer which also mixes 4 to 1. Probably a half a gallon there by time it's said and done.  The base coat I use mixes 1 to 1 and I buy 3 quarts and have some left over.  The reducer is bought a gallon at a time.  2 quarts of paint never cuts it.  The roof if it's a different color takes about a pint.  Clear coat I buy a gallon at a time and mixes 4 to 1. I'd guess it takes about 3 quarts of it. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:16:27 PM by 94touring »

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
Cool thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a new shell with the GBP so low.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »
Basically plan on spending a thousand bucks in materials to do a shell, if not more.  You could spend much much more if you bought the most expensive line of paint in the reddest of reds.  Then there's sand paper and compounds.  Do you have equipment?

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
I have equipment, space, and a friend who until 2 years ago was in the business (married a rich woman and retired) The last few years he worked, he was just the paint guy. We just got done a set of wheels for my truck, I learn every time I paint with him.
One suggestion he had was to paint the inside with single stage any thoughts?

Offline 94touring

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
Often times when I buy samples of paint off the intranets to match, it's in a single stage. So I end up with enough to do the interior or underside. I usually use it under the car but that's just me.

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:38:26 PM »
I asked Dan the same when I did my car it's all single stage.  4-1 ratio and sprays on about like your clear will. Keep in mind if you do parts in steps you waste more I ended up using a gallon and one more pint.

I did the under side and engine bay one day the interior another. doors and boot lid another. and then the shell. Then a bunch of little parts I forgot.  Single stage is good on the inside just because you're in and out less times. But if you do a metallic color use base clear it'll come out better.

Dan was right on with the primer I used 1 quart of epoxy with 1 quart of activator then half a gallon of high build. Block sanded sprayed the remaining half gallon sanded and painted.