Which engine stabilizer bushes?

Started by John Gervais, November 18, 2016, 07:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Wow, what a choice available.

Fearing that my engine stabilizers are the cause of the 'clunk' I hear when lifting off of the throttle in all but the most delicate manner, I suspect that my engine stabilizer bushes may already be worn.  I'll be removing them this weekend to check them, and using my on-hand stock of poly bushes until I get additional or substitute bush kits ordered. 

My mini currently has C-STR630 & C-STR630RACE bushes fitted to the engine stabilizers, but now I see that there are many other options, including one-piece bushes.

My aim is to secure the engine, and hopefully gain some longevity in the process.  Therefore, I'm considering KKF101320 & KKF101320EVO one-piece bushes for the upper engine dogbone stabilizer.

Has anyone used either of these one-piece options and if so, how do they compare or perform with respect to the 2-piece poly bushes that I'm currently using?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Well, that was the latest and greatest Rover part used on the final series of cars - I'd give them a try. They're bound to be better in NVH than poly bushes......looks like the EVO version is stiffer but still rubber
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

No, but I would the next time I need a set - which may be soon, my car is clunking too and I'm sure it just has the original rubber 2 piece bushes.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Super, just hope it's not too serious.  Order now placed at MSC -
- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

I have them in all my cars at this point, except maybe one location that I changed when I first got the car as it had a crumbly poly. They seem to work fine. Push them out with a socket in a vice and away you go.

Not sure that the last batch I got was regular or evo.

Nicholasupton

I prefer the regular as the EVO seems firmer and transfers more vibration. Always use them on the cars going through the shop, and get complements on smooth the car is running afterward, as they are not being shaken by the engine at idle.

John Gervais

Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot.  I thought about ordering a set of standard and the harder EVO bushes, especially after I ordered the EVO - the car transmits a bit o'noise and vibration (aluminum subframe tower & teardrop mounts, 4 x engine stabilizers) which doesn't really bother me, but there's no need to introduce a whole lot o'noise for nothing.

I will call MSC tomorrow morning and ask if they can include a pair of the standard  bushes to the package, as I've never felt how hard these EVO bushes are.

Oh, I forgot to add - I popped up to the garage yesterday and removed the upper dog-bone.  The C-STR630 bushes had already ovalled slightly around the steel sleeves.  I think they had around 50 - 75 miles on them, and the sleeves were replaced with the bushes, still have their anodizing and look as new.  I replaced them with a new set of the same, from my caché o'maintenance bits, but won't be keeping them long, replacing them with the one-piece bushes when they arrive.
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

The KKF101320EVO bushes along with a couple of clutch slave cylinder spring anchors (one will be fitted to the alternator bracket and used as an attachment point for a twin-carb linkage spring for the oil dipstick) arrived today!  Royal Mail, very quick indeed.

I'd called MSC on Monday, but the order had already been processed and wasn't able to add the standard compound bushes to the order. 

That said, I really like the feel of the hard bushes, still slightly pliable, but very firm in the hand.  I won't be able to install them for a while, though, as I need to finish sorting my front alignment issues.  I should have left good enough alone, but I changed the caster angle when I replaced the tie-rod bushes, now it's a bit of a mess. 

Tomorrow looks to be a day in the garage, pushing too and fro...
- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

On one of our cars, I added both the left and right lower stabilizer arms, I used the bushings that came with those and I wonder if the one piece fit in those locations as well. I seems to remember getting a set of bushes that did not fit properly in those lower arms.

stan360

I am sure you can make the one piece fit in those with some modification....I have some of the the one piece rovers that I got for that purpose ( in addition to the one I put in the dog bone)  and will eventually try to install them on the lowers as well....when I get to that point in the rebuild.