68 Cooper S . = Refurbish and Keep "Patina" project

Started by jedduh01, November 17, 2016, 01:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Are the new hydro lines SS? or some other non-rusting material?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on February 17, 2017, 08:14:33 AM
Are the new hydro lines SS? or some other non-rusting material?

Certainly not Steel

Not as pliable as the 'replacement' brake lines we can get for our cars.  But seem the same type of material.  But without a doubt Stiffer , Firm er   Will bend but takes effort.

They only needed minimal persuasion to fit  very well.

Not a project i would want to have to do without these pre bents' I was suprised how far UP the reach into the engine bay. And how much they bend behind the subframe under the floor.

About to be ready to put on wheels (refurbished cooper S LP88's) and Dunlop 10's

Then to pump up hydro!

jedduh01

Yum =  Cooper S Thin Flange. Original Crank+ original Head ,  Original block.

Replacement main caps were machined to fit. (originals lost in the time the car was apart).

Bores required bore +.040 over (block was already .020 (but with the rust from sitting needed cleaning up))

MiniDave

Should run well!

What do you use to pump it up? I have a local car that needs one bag fixed, so I'll need to drain and refill it at some point.......the owner bought a small pump gun off Ebay, I haven't seen it yet.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

For the hydro = Jeff the owner went ahead with the Ebay link you sent a few months ago = The seller  was a great help....     BUTTT!

IN the end after waiting for shipping the item never delivered.... returned to seller... seller is not helping or cooperating.. Seller messed up the shipping details or address or SOMETHING and returned to sender.  Refund on just the Item happened,. and the seller wants $$ to re ship again.. Royal mail. Thant is also not successful all the time.

Moving on.
I reached out to a Mini Mania member = from a post he made his own hydro tool out of a Bean Can master + some adapters.  He is politely renting it to me..   More to learn for ACTUALLY getting it pumped up. there are lots of ' how to's online + hope to try in a few weeks.

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on January 04, 2017, 02:14:51 PM
I have A wheel, I'll have to see if I can determine the size - it's in decent shape too.....

Dave. I just noticed this post. Is the Single Wheel  A Cooper S Wheel? LP88? or such?   (Round Circle)cut outs?

If so = Jeff would be VERY VERY Interested in it.  He needs 1 more for a spare in the boot.

Thanks for your thoughts!

MiniDave

No, it's a generic 70's steel wheel....21A2744

Some pics attached

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

One step Forward = Few steps back.  Its been a few weeks.

Received a great box from a MM member with his Hydro pump on loan.  I couldn't wait = Time to inflate a hydro suspension!   got to work . His tool was Perfect. Followed a few advise . Lower the front . leave the rear raised= start pumping.  His tool is a Master cyl = adapted to a hydrolic line to a Fitting to fit the shrader valve. Importantly it has a proper one way valve and a pressure gauge.

Started inflating..  (pumping in fluid  1 , 2, 3 ,4 resivors) of fluid Going somewhere!   and not on the ground ... Front starts to lift .. Rear starts to press down -   all at about 100 PSI... Pump to 180... and stop there for now.   Few peopel speak to run the system a few times= pressure and deflate to try to get the air out .  when you dont have a Vacc pump available.

On to the Drivers side.   ==   Pump pump=  start to see movement and pressure=== OH NO ++ Fluid coming out of the sub frame!

Disassemble, remove rear displacer  ==  to find the repaired bag has a leak ) where they Soldered /welded the hydro fitting on :     Must be returned for repair!

Waiting currently for the "fixed" bag to return.

jedduh01

Also  made a weekend trip home  to my dad.   Who had the engine complete!
Haul finished engine + many sourced parts back to NC for starting to assemble critical engine components!  to the transmission!  Finally

My garage is now Packed !    everything needs to start to go oN a car !   not just around it!

Refurbished Cooper S wheels with very classic dunlops  are here + Jethot Manifold + MANY little this's and thats to continue on!  Time to get some free time and put things together!

For this =started laying out needs to mate the engine to the transmission = A-OK
  gears = Primary gear Uh OH!     

Thelump that was ON the transmission was a 998.... small crank- that of course had small primary gear.. No way fitting the replacement 1275

On to the sourcing boards.    We fortunatly know a local guy named Barry   He's an old racer, Has parts .  Call him up.. "yea, i got 3"    SWEET!

Visit Barry,  Having 3..... I wanted one, for a future spare, Jeff needed one,. 
   But -  Barry only wanted to sell 1.  Oh well , Jeff got the Gear that was needed. Fit feels perfect on the crank, Condition looks perfect for the 'used" and it was a great finding save for an important part.

jedduh01

Ahh, Solid Progress

Replacement 1275 primary gear + resized thrust washer.  Turned into needing Idler gear thrust washers changed too to fit all nicely!  Got the lump all together :)

Tidy'ed in the engine bay and put that baby in!

Had  a headache (of coure) with an axle , hardy Spicer being too long and not mating up = After dissassembing axless= found the splines were disgusting and not alloiwng full slide on the axle...

Oh yea= forgot to install the speedo cable before going in

Fought with the MK1 rubber seal from the rad shroud to the fan.

Managed to fit in the original cooper S Exhaust manifold 

WHEW!

For sure finding more pieces here and there needed here and there (trying to keep most "period" authentic) as possible (wire hose clamps or such).

jedduh01

Electrical pre testing before engine went in! .
NO Starter  but made the starter solenoid click.
  Used a 10-15 Amp fuse jumper to run test functions

So far the regulator box is doing what its' supposed to" to distribute power.

Suprisingly !   Dome light worked without any touching, Cluster lights worked fine

grounds + fuse box needed cleaning .

Horn Honked

Woke up a Lazy flasher relay = I assume will get better with time and use.

Electrical had to be traced in the slam panel to re connect wires + for headlights /markers and turns . One flasher bulb burned out.

OTHERWISE EL:ELECTRICALLY she's alive!

MiniDave

Solid progress......did you get it to crank over on the starter yet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Great progress, quite inspirational!   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

jedduh01

progress..  while quiet. there still is an attempt at making progress.. While i wanted my garage space back, Outside influencers DID NOT help the progress of getting the car back together.

Hydro = What a headache.... from the previously posted leaking displacer. was sent back for "warranty"   = 6 weeks passed before they' re= shipped the repaired unit == YES very disappointing.... USPS Tracking =  Texas , Alaska , Charlotte.... NEVER DELVIERED>  LOST......

Ok 1 week more no displacer no info no update no word = USPS doesn't know... lost.  (it might be return to sender they say...)
Finally decide = take other actions...  Find 2 more ' displacers for a different fix.. Easy job to do = but also depends on the quality of the displacer you have.   We had 1 = very rotten one/ UN-saveable.  2nd. Fixed  Re Pipe Plumbed + Held Good PSI Pressure.. OK Ready to install.

Installed and th enext day =  I get a  call =  your 1st displacer returned= we will send it back to you again... ...  wait for the 'match" to arrive back.  Arrived back. Repair shop forgot to send 'adapter" needed for the hydro lines to the car..  = another 3 days USPS...

Arrived back = installed and guess what == same displacer  LEAKS AGAIN! ---  worse this time . Where the rubber meets the metal .. Simply dead.

back install the 5th' fixed displacer == Pump Hydro hold breath . Say a prayer

YAY Car on 4 wheels.!!!

Then time lets make some progress. Lets make this engine run.   Put some Fuel in tank ... SU Pumps . fuel to carbs = Starts right up VROOM>. SMELL OF FUEL However is concerning... YEP fuel pipe had a pinhole  + sprays all over + BIG MESS!  of course= leaks right betweent he subframe and body.

UGH + next job = very soon = re run the fuel pipe from engine to tank.. Not fun.. annoying...

BruceK

Sorry to hear about your displacer problems, but very cool to see the cross section of a displacer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

Big Positive progress!!

Not many pictures to post... of course a headache or two .. but the first target has been reached. 
67 - 68 Cooper S has moved back to the owners Jeff's garage.. we took a delightful  long = cross town drive to deliver her home yesterday.

Of course sorting a car back on the road is a timely process. fix this and tweak that = we finally ended with a drive-able cooper!
  While i'm not complaining a few oversights on both our parts lead to some further re assembly headaches... Use these as reminders for your own rebuilds. Noting Here....

Once first back on 4 wheels Few weeks ago  I found the passenger side steering rack bushing was WRECKED, destroyed. non existent.  >. should have been renewed before sub frames went back in.. oh well.  Now an In car repair...

I was lucky with fixing.. found the later mk3 on nylon bushing can be modified to fix the Cork Bushing that is originally in a Mk 1 rack.

Please see details here = documented on Mini Mania =  https://www.minimania.com/msgThread/121649/1/1/Mk1__Steering_rack_Bushing_repair_-_it_can_be_done

After a few test engine starts. . MAN this place smells like fuel = next morning. LOTS Of fuel on the ground....
  HUMM == Oh = there it is = broken Original fuel line =Pinhole rust leak...  right behind the crook in the front sub frame.. We wanted to use as many original parts as possible, but here = we failed by a seemingly innocent part. ... metal fuel line had a pinhole rust thru spot= fuel would spray out of the line..   HAD to be replaced.
  Another fun operation to re install a new metal fuel pipe= front to back.. with the sub frames in place

OH boy= Time to drive.!!
  First drive was great= down the road straight =!   up to temp= good oil pressure all seems happy.. A little darty on the steering.  (oh yea) lets check the alignment  !  2 inches TOED OUT!   Looked good = But on measuring I was second guessing my tape measures!  could there really be 2 inches of toe out!  dialed that in to a 1/8th toe!  MUCH More civilized around the neighborhood! WHEW!

after 2 drives== water on the ground == whats that.. = Freeze plugs..
  Bummer= who knows why = or how. or what === weeping freze plugs== had sealer from the engine build but just didn't do it.
  Replaced two and took a new test drive = engine up to temp== other 2 are leaking :(   used another type of sealer=  replaced the other two.. again.
Test drive= up to temp = Leaking 2 AGAIN!  oh no make that 3 leaking AGAIN!!!!
   Reach out = ask for suggestion = go that route.  Sand all edges for more bite= + jB Weld..   Did that operation for one more time!   
  let dry for 36 hours=  water in= test drive = good temps = good tune. HOLDING WATER.

Jeff just took the car out today and reported success = Holding water!    Just one of those annoying things!

Happy to report Jeff is Happy Happy to have this car headed towards interior re assembly + show around town time = Cars and Coffee next weekend! is his goal !
I was genuinely happy with how this car rode + drove = Hydro is SOO Soft / floaty and comfortable!
   The driving position with the Remote shift gear lever has such an unique direction  along with the big original steering wheel adds to the character.  Upright seating position . sliding windows. Jeff couldn't believe how hot it was + no air flow!   (yes welcome to summer mini driving! )

Now Thru the healey club, jeff picked up a mk1 Sprite.. = might be working on that with him next! DOnt we all love new projects!

Bahowe1

Awesome!  Well done my friend.  Enjoy the garage space...
Good lessons learned to keep in the back pocket.

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )