Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yep, it's pretty slick too.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That is indeed the tool to drive the roll pins out on the rod change coupling.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

towjoe

I have that tool also. Very easy to use. Can loan it out.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 27, 2017, 07:36:26 PM
So I sent Simon an email on Thursday and haven't heard a peep, even allowing for the weekend and so on seems I should have at least gotten an email saying they were looking into it. So Ima give him a couple more days and then I'll go back on TMF, as he seems to monitor that forum and respond to it.

Don't know why they can't at least email me and let me know they're doing something.......
Why don't you call Simon and tell him you're not too thrilled with his lack of responsiveness (in a nice way).  Even if you don't have a international calling plan, it's not going to cost more than a couple of bucks for a brief call.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, as usual - posting on the TMF got results, not an hour after I posted that I could not get a response from anyone at MS, I got a note from Simon that it was being handled.

I had even sent Simon a PM from TMF and gotten no response......

Seems either a personal phone call like Bruce suggested or a posting on TMF is how you get results with MiniSpares. The good news is, in 3 or 4 weeks I'll have my tool!    ::)

And - not that I needed it - but a nice roll pin tool too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Armycook

No problem so far with Minispares except for one time i caught a dude in my yard holding my package about to steal it. i beat the shit out of him and let my rottweiler chase him. He dropped the package with my new Smiths tachometer in it and it didn't work after I installed it. just not lucky but no problems so far.

MiniDave

Well, I have to say I'm disappointed in my MiniSpares rear wheel cylinder circlip tool. I used it today for the first time and as I tightened the nut that pushes the clip down over the tool's cone to spread it, the ends of the clip just dug into the cone to the point that it locked up, when I took it apart the tips had dug some pretty good divots into the cone......I don't know if the cone's material is just too soft or if I misued it somehow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have one of those as well.  When I last used it (two or three Minis ago), it worked just fine.

The clip has a slight dish to it.  I don't remember for certain, but I think the direction of the dish of the clip matters for smooth use of the tool.

MiniDave

I had the dish facing upwards, thinking the ends wouldn't dig in that way, but they did.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I thought I remembered an article on the 7Ent site on how to use the tool.  Here is the link:

http://www.7ent.com/pages/wheel-cylinder-circlip-installation.html

MiniDave

Yep, that's what I did, except for the grease......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 19, 2017, 01:20:44 PM
I had the dish facing upwards, thinking the ends wouldn't dig in that way, but they did.......

Okay. I bought one of those tools too a while back.   I used it this week to install two wheel cylinders on backplates this week.   

My verdict is in: it officially sucks monkey balls. 

The cone portion is made of such soft metal that, even with a good coat of grease, the circlip gouged huge divots in it.   And the metal from the divots made dents in the flange of the last wheel cylinder top too.  I think it is a good idea, but it is very poorly made.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I was successful in my second attempt, but I think the way I usually do it works as well and is quicker. I bend one end of the clip up, engage the other two tabs in the slot on the wheel cylinder, then take a drift and smack the bent up end - and it pops right into place.

If you're doing it on the car rather than on the bench you have to wedge the wheel cylinder so it won't move when you pop the circlip on, where with the MiniSpares tool you don't.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

You guys are making me glad I got the whole assembly at a really good sale price.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Tim

I had the same problem with that tool.  The cone material was way too soft.  I got it done the old fashioned way as well.