Chrome/plastic wheel trim troubles

Started by stan360, November 14, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

I started on this cheap chrome finish plastic wheel and base trim.   I used a heat gun went slow and ruined 2 strips anyways. Pretty pissed about how this stuff goes on.....any pointers?   

They are about $8 a strip on minispares so I  am going to get a few extra for trial and error.   I thought maybe next go round I would just try to straighten the entire strip and then  fix it to the base/ bottom and then work over the wheel wells.  It comes spiraled up and as soon as I hit it with the heat gun  starting to curve off the wheel well to base it would twist and  crimp in places . 

94touring

I probably should have put that stuff on for you  :(

John Gervais

Good luck! 

Been there, done that - I gave up after having tried several times with the heat gun on 'low', on 'high' and even tried warm water.  I tried cutting slots and trimmed through both resulting layers when going around curves.

I now have short strips on the wheel arch lips, and I'm actually surprised that they're still there; they're not fastened by anything other than their own clamping force.
- Pave the Bay -

jedduh01

I havnt done this job exactly but i have dealt with spiraled plastic type trim before...

I remember once putting in the oven (low temp)  200  - 250 =  and watching closely.
  As the temp comes up the plastic gets softer.  and will sort of uncoil more..  there is  a sweet spot  = where you  will grab the coil out= and Straighten it.  while warmed... and lay out to re cool and re set itself once chilled.

Starting with a straighter piece would be much more helpful.

Goodluck

Jimini II

I have tried a lot of the usual ways to install it over the years. The best way i found to install it was to lay it out in the Sun for 4 or so hours to make it pliable then install it onto a long piece of roof flashing or anything straight and long enough then leave it there for a few days. When removed it is much easier to work with and just apply the minimum of heat with lots of patience.

jeff10049

yea I messed up my first set as well heat is bad forget the heat gun.

Warming it up in the house or sun first is fine. Then I put it on the long straight first next is the tight curve at the bottom of the fender what I do is position the trim angled away from the body of the car slot facing the lip and roll it up onto the lip don't try to bend it and push it straight in but roll up onto the lip while moving along the radiuses if that makes any sense at all. I will try to take a short video or pictures tomorrow.

stan360

I think I understand what you mean  Jeff, and I was thinking the same way Jimini, on straightening this out first.     Minispares is pretty fast and looks like I will have some more trim here tomorrow.  So I will give it another go this week. 

Nicholasupton

I use an upholstery steamer as to aid in installation and it work perfect, as it is easy to control the heat, and you can't hurt the paint with it.

jeff10049

steamer is a great idea if you don't have one soaking the roll in a bucket of hot water also helps if it's cold out I did one side that way and the other right outta the box as it was a warm day.

stan360

So I unfurled a couple rolls of the trim and let them relax for the last few days, running the length of the pieces a couple times a day between finger and thumb and sort of massaging them into straighter lengths.  This time I started from the front of the car as the curve is less severe, pushing the trim  on and using a  hair dryer instead of the heat gun to keep it warm.  When entering the bend at each wheel well bottom, I grabbed the trim stip at the bottom with a paint can opener tool to hook into the slot and help open up the trim piece while working into position.   

No issues at all this round.  I will do the other side sometime this week.

94touring

MiniDave

Stan sorry I didn't call yesterday, I've been buried lately with this 73, trying to finish it up. I'll contact you after the holiday.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

It's alright Dave, no worries.  I will have more time also after the thanksgiving holiday.

I was excited about this round Dan.  I really anticipated buring through a few strips to get this figured out.  Hopefully the other side will go smoothas well  and I will have some spare strips for the future.

94touring

Spare strips for the next restoration...

stan360