HELP!! Oil on valve cover.

Started by towjoe, November 12, 2016, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towjoe

Yesterday after a drive I pulled into the garage and checked the engine.
I have the cast aluminum valve cover , it was coated with oil. Oil is coming from the oil filler/ cap area. I have vents on clutch side and timing cover side.The oil cap is vented.
I have removed the crankcase vent at the old fuel pump location.
Any suggestions as to why this blow by is occurring??

Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Were you at redline for 100 miles?   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Where are the existing vents going?  Are they fed back to the carb/manifold or venting to atmosphere through filters or hoses to under the car?

The existing vents may also need cleaning?  (Clogged with trapped oil and/or deteriorated old stuffing?)

Kermy

They say you can never have too many vents on a A-series or put another way, if you think you have enough vents add another one. If you weren't doing what MiniDave says I would be inclined to put on a non-vented cap to see what happens. Otherwise it might be time for a ring job.

towjoe

Dave : No 100 miles, Did go to 7000 rpm twice. Usually shift around 6500 rpm. Ring and pinion 2.95.  Mostly 3rd gear around town.

MPayle : The stuffing in the timing chain cover was replaced 2013. Both clutch housing vent and timing cover vent are vented through filters to the air. Both areas cleaned within last year.

Thanks for all the replies.
I have sealed the oil cap. I'll let you know what transpires.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

towjoe

The sealed cap was the ticket!!
Thanks all.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif