Remove driveshaft from CV

Started by stan360, November 06, 2016, 09:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

I watched a guy on you tube just whack the end of the driveshaft with a hammer and it came out.  What the hell am I doing wrong trying to remove old driveshafts from CV.  The driveshafts are stuck stuck stuck . 

MPlayle

I have used a broad bladed chisel (about 1.5" to 2" wide blade) held at the base of the CV joint.

I clamp the shaft vertically to something with the CV a few inches off the floor, hold the chisel in place and whack it on first one side of the shaft the try the other.  Usually, it will pop the CV off after a few hard whacks.  The chisel focuses the impact to the inner rim of the CV to pop it free from the retaining circlip.

MiniDave

What hammer are you using? You can't do it with a claw hammer or a small ball peen.......you need about a 3 pounder so you have enough mass and inertia to overcome the sticktion of the internal clip, and you can't be shy about how hard you hit it either.

I usually just hold the shaft with the CV just off the floor a few inches and whack it good - they pop right off.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Agreed, you need something more along the lines of a sledge and hit the hell out of it.

stan360

Well, I have a chisel and a broad flat head screw driver to try at the base but  I just need to get a bigger hammer and give it a go.