bonnet prop rod

Started by stan360, November 06, 2016, 09:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

Does anyone have a picture of how that mickey mouse clip looks fixing their prop rod to bonnet. Mine did not have one and I am not quite sure how the clip is supposed to sit now that I should add this part. ....looks like it may be sloppy or slip around  ?  Don't want to clobber up the paint guessing.
What if you put a grommet in this bonnet area and the clip ?!?

94touring

I'll snag a pic in a couple days for you if no one beats me to it.

stan360

Yeah, thanks Dan,   I am looking at this clip and it is square and the attachment point at bonnet front is round and I am having trouble wondering why the clip wouldnt just flop around.  Either I understand it and jut don't like how it was engineered or I am confused all together... :o.

94touring

It pretty much is crap, but we'll see if the pic helps.

MiniDave

They do rattle around once in place, don't they? But when the rod is clipped in they don't, right?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

I am imagining it rattles around....just need to see what it looks like to be sure though.  I am trying to think of a way to incorporate a grommet and rethink it a bit if it is loose.

Jimini II

The clip fits around the locating tab on the bonnet and then you install the prop rod going from the outside edge in pushing towards the center of the bonnet (if that makes sense). The clip has a small part that keeps it tight on the tab so there should be no rattles.

stan360

So I believe that makes sense but am not sure what is to hold the clip stationary on the locating tabl. Its a square edge  and the locating tab is round...so is it just that small inner piece that holds it tight. I may need to pinch  this with pliers to gap it closer.... or just that pushing the rod through the clip tightens it all up ??

94touring

Crap I forgot to get you a picture. 

jeff10049

interesting my 60 has two washers a spring and a cotter pin I wonder if thats correct for a early car or if its a long ago repair.

My hood bracket looks just like yours and the rod does wobble around in the hole I was also thinking about a grommet.

Kermy

My Mini City parts catalog shows a grommet, plain washer, and a split pin for the early MkI setup.

MiniDave

That's the way I remember them.....but that's on the pivot end, I think this clip is the retaining clip.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

I like your  idea. I may have to borrow it from you and  go with something like that instead of the clip....i think I would be happier improving this area in that way.   Thanks for posting the pic.