Disappointing Quality in new EBC rear drums

Started by John Gervais, November 06, 2016, 05:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Having sold my daily driver as a consequence of not being able to find a job, I've been tinkering with the mini in preparation for year-round use. 

Some might remember that I'd bought some new EBC rear drums (p/n DM016) a while back for winter use.  As they're from EBC, I assumed they'd be round, so I gave them a bit of POR16, then primed and painted them nice and shiny and put them back in their boxes.

I mounted my winter tires today, taking the alloys and SuperFin drums off until next spring.  As I installed the EBC drums, I spun the RH hub and found out that the new drums aren't round.  Not by a long shot.  I could see the edge wobble as if off-center, and it was impossible to even get close to adjusting them.  I didn't put a dial indicator on it, but the runout appeared to be over 1/32".  I didn't try the other drum.

So now I'm in a bit of a bind - I can try to find someplace to turn them, but who knows how much metal that'd remove, or I can try to order a new set and hope that they're better. 

Either way, made worse by not having an income, it's disappointing that it's money wasted on crap that should have been good crap...   
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

And since you've painted them they won't take them back? They can clearly see they've never been used .....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I wouldn't think so, I ordered them from Demon Tweeks.  I'll call them tomorrow, but I honestly think it'll cost as much to ship them as ordering a new pair from MiniSpares. 

Just checked MSC and they're on sale, so I'll probably order them if I can't find a shop who can turn them. 

Grrrr...
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Over here auto parts stores can turn them for you, or a shop that does brake jobs.....drum brakes aren't used much any more so it might be tough to find someone who can do them..... another problem is the size, most automotive brake lathes don't go that small. I turned the rear drums on Buzz on our brake lathe and it took a bit of finagling to get the machine set up properly, but it did work. Getting someone to spend the time on them means you might be right, new ones are pretty cheap.

I don't understand how they could be that off when brand new.

I think I'd contact EBC directly and see what they would do for you too......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

There aren't many small, independent garages anymore, most of the cars on our roads are new, so the stealerships just change factory parts.  Heck, it's hard to even buy a battery.

Good idea, though, I'll try to call EBC and see what they say.  If not, I've got one shop in mind that might be able to do something - if the price is right of course. 
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

Contacted EBC and Demon Tweeks last week; was asked if I'd ordred the right part number.  They didn't understand that the drums were 'oval' where the shoes contact the linings, nothing to do...  Order placed to MiniSpares shortly afterwards...

I installed the new MiniSpares drums today.  They arrived within 3 days, casting surface is a bit rough, but otherwise look just like brake drums.  They received a bit o'paint (which crackled between top-coats, very annoying and will be dealt with next Spring), they cost half what the brand-name EBC drums cost, are perfectly round - just like my summer-season SuperFins and I took the mini for a much needed drive. 
- Pave the Bay -

Kermy

From the box it looks like a no-name brand generic part. There's no prize for figuring out where it was made.

John Gervais

I got that impression too when I first receive them, but had hoped the best.  The castings were very smooth, certainly looked nice and my expectations were pretty high; heck, EBC after all...  But probably not the 'good' stuff.

The MiniSpares drums are definitely more agricultural in their finish, but this latest pair is definitely top-shelf where it matters.
- Pave the Bay -