66 cooper S full restoration

Started by 94touring, November 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Perfect! Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.....now all I have to do is find the wires....funny how I don't remember that in my old car.

I can't see it in your pic, does your car use the old push style windshield washer pump, and if so where is it mounted? Where does the washer bottle mount then? This car has a square bracket under the left fender, so I could actually mount a more modern electric pump and bottle there and just run a push button under the dash.

The air horn compressor that the car's owner sent me doesn't work so he instructed me to get some regular horns and use them, so I went up to Vicky Brits and got some - in the middle of today's snowstorm!  ::)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Not sure if I have any before pictures of the washer pump, we went electric.
The dip/dim uses a 30-40 inch three wire harness and I cannot remember where it connects to either the main harness or the rear harness.

Found one, but you can barely make the washer pump out in this picture.
The bottle was on the fire wall, but we moved it to the fender well.

MPlayle

I'll have to check my stuff, but I may have a set of the wires for the floor switch left over from past projects.  If I have a set and you need them, let me know.

Edit:
I have three of the pig-tails, all different lengths: 19", 21", and 35".  Let me know if you need one, what length, and where to send it.

MiniDave

Thanks Michael, lemme see if they're already in the harness in the car....

Thanks for that pic, it looks like it's in its own little bracket under the dash?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

MiniDave

Well, no indication that a dimmer switch was ever mounted in this car that I can find, no holes, no captive nuts no nuttin.....Also no unaccounted for wires, and the turn signal switch definitely did not do high/low beams. So I guess it's up to me to figure out how to mount and wire it......

There really is no place to mount it other than the way it shows in tmsmini's pic that I can see.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Was it ever converted from RHD to LHD?

94touring

As far as I know it was always left hand drive.

tmsmini

Just thinking outloud to myself, wondering if the screw holes exist on the other side.

MiniDave

I found them! I thought there would be captive nuts but it turns out they're just sheet metal screw holes. They don't look like they were ever used either. They were buried under the carpet and sound insulation.

Next I sent Michael a note about those leads I'll need, the other ends are there in the harness, but I will need the connecting wires - I can make them but if he has the right ones that will make things easier.....and more accurate.

I also sorted out the ignition switch leads, two of them were reversed..... and I've pretty much got a handle on the rest of the wiring.

I need to install the accelerator pedal assembly and cable and hook them up to the carb.

Then install all the gauges and wood dash once things are wired up.

I'm still working out the horn button as there are a few bits missing there too but I have a lead on them from one of the LABCC members (Susan) left over from when I fixed her horn on her 63 Mini.

The front end is on and wired up but I have to sort out how to tie down the wires so they don't rub since this is a flip front car, and I'm working out how and where to mount some stop cables like the boot lid uses to take the weight of the bonnet when tipped open.....

I also need to sort out the heater, and I sure hope it doesn't leak when I put the hoses on and fill it with coolant.

The tanks are back from the powder coaters, but I won't install them till I get the new sending unit and the cross pipe - all that is supposed to be here on Thursday,, just in time for our weather to warm up too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Last thing I did tonight was put these three rubbers in - they're to mount the windshield motor to the bulkhead and boy howdy are they one bitch kitty to get in place! They're just as thick on the other side of the bulkhead and stiff as can be, and the wiper motor has three long studs that pass thru these.

I put them in a glass of water in the microwave for a minute to try and soften them up - it didn't really help but I got them in the end.

Oh and the tanks are back too....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Oh yay, cause I have to replace those on mine too. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

You talking about those rubbers? good luck!

I get them from Victoria British here in town, they are their part number 0-010 $2.25 ea They also show a kit with rubbers, washers, studs and nuts for $7 ea but they don't have them and can't say when they ever will, so don't bother with that. The nuts are 10-32 and I bought small fender washers for the inside.

Mini Spares has those complete kits for £2.50 ea - you need three of course - if you're going to order parts from them anyway. Their part number is 17H5431

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Thanks, pretty sure I ordered them from spares already so they are somewhere.  Lol. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Turns out there are some special brackets missing that I need to install the dash and gauges, Dan is looking for them when he gets home again, but I still have plenty of other things I can do. Got a few more things checked off the list in the meantime.....first I made some support cables for the bonnet when it's open, I didn't like that it was just hanging off the hinges. Now as long as it doesn't get slammed open or someone leans on it too hard, these should work fine - they're the same cables used to hold the boot lid.

I also engineered and built a bracket to hold the washer pump bottle and wired/plumbed it all in, tho I still have to wire the button, you can see it in the pic - the red button.

And I got the wiper motor bolted down in those three bushings I had so much trouble with, so it's done.

I installed the new turn signal switch  and sure enough as I expected there was a bit missing on the old switch - the small copper pad that rides on the steering shaft and grounds the horn was completely gone off the old switch - it never would have worked

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

You should also have the high/low beam wiring pig-tail in your mailbox.

77.gif

MiniDave

Yep, they just walked up to the door - thanks again Michael!

I had to run up to Vicky Brits to get a bunch of the Lucas bullet connector sleeves to hook these various bits together.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Dave di you already get the sleeves? I have a bagful of each (single and Double) that I won't need.

MiniDave

Yes, thanks.....the local Brit parts place has them pretty cheap. But if you have no use for them I'd be happy to have them as I know I will use them at some point.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

MiniDave

Thanks! You sure you don't need them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Todays work....

The tanks came back from the powder coaters and I noticed some gritty dust in the neck of the tank (I assume from being sandblasted) so I decided to rinse them out with some clean parts washing solvent. The pic shows what I got out of the tanks....I rinsed them twice and the second time they seemed pretty clean so I went ahead and installed them in the car. Bucket pic is what came out on the first rinse, second one was pretty much clean.

I got a new sender as the one from the car had no reading on the ohm meter at all when I moved the arm, I put in a new seal and clip too as I didn't get any of those parts with the car. Once both tanks were in I plumbed them up and wired up the fuel pump too. Still need to make up some vent lines but I'll need to go buy some hose from the auto parts store.

Last jobs n the back end were to install the second cable stay for the bootlid and wire the license plate light.

Back end is pretty much done. Monday I'll run down and see about a battery for it, then I can start testing some of the wiring. Dan found all the missing brackets and parts I need for the dash and he'll send them up so I can carry on with that part too

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Dave I've got a bag of about 70. Don't know why i ended up with some many. I am short the  bullets themselve so if you could drop a few ( less than 10) the mail that would be good. I'm about done with the 60 mini and don't plan any other mini activity so don't need any stash.

MiniDave

Happy to do so, PM me the address and I'll get on that.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So I noticed that the center panel that holds the switches had some rusty looking spots and since it was out I decided to go ahead and paint it up - talk about going down a rabbit hole! First I had to clean all the rust off and rather than sand it I just took it to the bench grinder's wire brush - that got most of it but there was still some paint around where the switches mount, so I got out the drill and a small wire brush to get in those places, then I took some 500 grit paper and gave it a nice "tooth" so the pain would stick.

Next up a coat of self etch, then  topcoat of.....wait a minute, I don't have any light grey paint. 

OK, I need to run to the parts store anyway. Nope they don't have it either. OK< Home Depot is just a mile down the road. OK, it's only $4 for can of Rusty Oleum so that will do it.

Back home and I give it a nice squirt - looks fine.....maybe a little light but it will do.

Now I just need to leave it cure out a few days, in the meantime I need to order a new heater cable (this one is rusted solid) and a choke cable as this one is missing. Oh and a speedo cable and, and, and........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad