66 cooper S full restoration

Started by 94touring, November 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Finally, a light at the end of that tunnel?

94touring

94touring

Still have to color sand and buff once it's really done, but this is pretty much it.

MiniDave

Cheeky offset on those wheels!   77.gif

Car looks fab!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 29, 2019, 01:39:32 PM
Cheeky offset on those wheels!   77.gif

Car looks fab!

The wood and pickets go better with 10x6 wheels. 

gr8kornholio

Yea, thinking I may need some of those wood and pickett flares for mine.  Odd thing is, they used to have a website, now it seems all there stuff is on ebay.uk
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on October 30, 2019, 08:59:01 AM
Yea, thinking I may need some of those wood and pickett flares for mine.  Odd thing is, they used to have a website, now it seems all there stuff is on ebay.uk

I would be so sure that comes from the official source.  Wood & Pickett  seems to be a brand name that is used generically like xerox or Kleenex. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Quote from: gr8kornholio on October 30, 2019, 08:59:01 AM

Mini Sport sells a W&P flare copy, i have not seen a set but was told they are good quality.

94touring

I have used knockoffs with no issues.

MiniDave

Is that what's on the Inno? They look fine to me....

Have you done the alignment on the 66 yet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The inno has the standard factory flare like are on this 66.  They seem to look fine with the abarth wheels though.  Haven't done an alignment yet.

94touring

Loaded up and ready for the journey.

MiniDave

We're looking for a pre 76 hand brake handle, if anyone has one they can get rid of?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

95% finished.  I have some things to do to it when it gets back from Dave's.

I should add I gave it an alignment today.  1/16 toe out on the front, negative 1.25° front camber and negative 0.75° rear camber.  Ride height set on all 4 corners, half inch higher in the rear. 

MiniDave

Traded the Red one for a Green one!

While I'm doing some wiring and dash work on the 66 for Dan he'll try and get a little interior work done on the Inno, carpets, door cards and the like.

The green engine block in the foreground is a 1275 bored out to 1310 (? - 30 over) that's going into a Bugeye.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

First thing I did was pop the twin fuel tanks out, the owner wants them powder coated. Then I sat down and ordered all the tiny bits needed to finish up my part of the project.....mostly just some little bits and bobs, I also need to get a battery for the car. Since I need to run some parts up to the cranky guy for a Sprite engine I'm building, I'll try and do all of the driving today - looks like about 120 miles of driving to do all these errands! Then another 120 to pick it all up again.....

This afternoon it's supposed to be in the 60's so I need to take advantage of the temps and paint the last parts for the Sprite engine - it will be about 2 more weeks before I see the crank and parts I need to put the head together, so that will give the paint plenty of time to cure out before I start handling parts and getting oil on things. The block is already painted and ready to be assembled, I think the only major parts left are the head and the oil pan, and a few small bits.

Update: So I got the tanks delivered ($50 total for both to be blasted and coated - not bad!) and ran the rest of the Sprite rotating parts up to the cranky guy so they could balance them along with the crankshaft, if I'm lucky I'll see them in another 2 weeks. The head was supposed to be done yesterday too, but when I called the shop they said they had to send it out to another shop as they didn't have the right size hone for the guides nor the right pilot to do the valve job, and the guy at that shop who does this work is on vacation this week - so maybe next Tuesday. Its hard to get machine work done in a timely manner anymore - you just have to wait....I don't mind so much as long as I get quality work at a reasonable price.....but dammit I want it NOW!

sorry   ;D

I also got the rally lights mounted on the 66, and have started working on a front detachable harness for the flip/removable front end.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I didn't get a lot done on the 66 today, I planned out the wiring for the front end, and found a "build it yourself" 6 connector plug to make the disconnect for when he wants to pull the front end off - if ever.  ;D

Now I have to try and remember how it all goes together to make it work.....they're surprisingly complicated!  ::)

I also pulled the front end off so that I can get to all the connections easily.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I popped the front end over and set it up on a table so I could plan the wiring setup I'm going to use, and I sorted out all the remaining loose wires in the harness at the bottom front of the car. I sure makes it easier to work on these things when there's no front end sheetmetal in the way.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I got a good start on the wiring harness for the front end, all I have to do now is connect a few more wires then terminate them into one end of the disconnect. Then do the same on the car end.....

But before I can do that I'm going to change the turn signal switch and do up all the dash, switches, gauges and so on. By then the tanks should be back and I can install them, wire up the sender and rear license plate light and that should do it for the back. Tanks should be done early next week, and I can pick up a battery that day too. Then I can plug it in and see what lights up....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Aren't you glad I dropped the car off 77.gif

MiniDave

I hope I get the front end back on by Sunday night, I won't get to work on it on Sat as we have a wedding to go to but if things go well I should have it together Sunday night.

It's supposed to get wicked cold mon night - down to single digits - so I need to get as much done as I can while it's tolerable in the shop.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the front end mounted back on the car, all the wiring turned out well and has been tested and it all works as it should....I won't get to test anything with it on the car just yet as there are too many loose wires hanging under the dash that need to be located first. The two white wires in the second pic - white/purple is for an oil pressure switch that this car doesn't have - it has a gauge - and the second white wire is the supply to the rally lights, both have been tidied up now. I also made some ground connections - both to locate ground wires in the harness but also to ground the subframe to the engine - Dan already had  nice braided ground between the engine and body, this ties it all together.

Does anyone on the forum with a Mark 1 have the foot dimmer switch? If so, where does it mount? A pic would be helpful....

I had a Mk 1 Cooper S but I really don't remember there being a foot mounted dimmer switch in that car - it was a German export model so maybe it was set up differently?

I also put in an order to bolt depot - in addition to just replenishing my stocks I needed some allen head screws to attach the steering wheel to the hub and they came thru - there were exactly the right length and size - 6mmX1.0, not 1/4 -28.....must be a European made wheel. Racemark? I still need to figure out how to make the horn button work, there are a few bits missing that I'll have to fabricate.

Next up, I need to mount his air horns, the compressor seems to be locked up so I'll be sourcing a new one.

I mounted the wiper motor and wired it up, I also bench tested it to make sure it ran - I should have done this on the Inno but neglected to,

Next up, I'll straighten out the under dash wiring, ignition switch and wiper and headlight switches, then I need to wire the license plate light and I should be ready to test it all out.

I also expect the tanks back this week so I can mount them - but I'm waiting on a sending unit as the one in the car was no good. All in all, coming together nicely - as soon as some parts get here I can button up a few things, till then there's still plenty to do.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Here is a left hand drive, you can see the dip switch in the background.
Should be screw holes in the floor board. Same place for right hand drive, almost on the gear extension tunnel.