66 cooper S full restoration

Started by 94touring, November 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I spent a lot of time sanding this one.  It's flat as glass down the side.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on June 08, 2017, 03:39:36 PM
I spent a lot of time sanding this one.  It's flat as glass down the side.

It's like a mirror - I see a familiar face  ;D  being reflected. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Wow, he has got to be happy with that! Send him some pics?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Tried calling so he can drive out and see it.

94touring

Been awhile since any updates.  Finally up to speed on everything at the shop. Have boxes of suspension parts for this car.  Yesterday I was able to clean up and derust subframes to paint to begin the assembly this coming week.  Pics soon...

94touring

Had planned on painting some subframes today but needed the hose to clean up the front one a bit more.  Unfortunately the cold weather froze my water lines from the water valve out in the yard.  So onto rear arms instead.  Since we're going from wet to dry suspension, I had a set of old dry arms to use but in need of cleanup.  Awhile ago I bought a slide bearing puller in hopes it would make pulling bearings easier.  Well it didn't do a thing.  So after some bad luck and wasted time with it, resorted back to the old method of slicing the needle bearing side with a dremel, yanking it and the plastic sleave out, then using my press to press out the opposite bearing.  Then it was just a matter of pressing new stuff back in and reaming it up.  The brass bushing Dave made for my ream worked great.  A few pics...

94touring

One arm down.  The old hub on this side spun a bearing, so in the trash it went.  Pulled out a used one from the side garage and continued on.

MiniDave

Slick, Minifins and all! Gotta love having a press in the shop. Most of the time they just sit there next to the wall taking up space, but then when you need one.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The press is very handy.  Takes 30 seconds to push in the bearings as opposed to 5 minutes of fiddling with a hammer and punch.

jedduh01

I  really enjoy assembling rear arms too!
    It's just satisfying to put all together.  Pieces and parts! 

Note =   it looks like the bottom bushing shock sleeve is still on the stud on the back of the 'completed LH / Finished  arm by the pic.   Look at the pic of the rough rusty RH one  and just the stud is present  5/8ths stud simply sticking out.

Don't want to get it all hung= be wrestling it in place and fight getting the shock on because an old bushing sleeve is still hanging on there.

94touring

Finished the other rear arm and moved onto the front hubs.  Rebuilt caliper, ball joints, bearings, new disc, and new cv joint.  The pistons in the calipers had too many pits for my liking and one had a groove wore on the face, so in the trash they went and in with a set of new ones I had.  Lots of sludge behind the pistons not shown when I redid all the rubber seals.

94touring

Good eye Jeddah! I'm looking at it in person right now.

94touring

Organized and ready to assemble once the subframes dry.

Willie_B

94touring

Rear subby ready to slap on  77.gif

Armycook

I envy these restorations.. I wish I was involved with mine when the previous owner decided to buy later panels for my mk1. I have 6 flute vents and 4 flute vents on both sides. sad...

94touring

Rear is on and done. Time to get to the front.

94touring

The taller smootha ride cones on the front made this a challenge.

MiniDave

Yeah, you have to be careful with those, they say you only want to tighten them 7 turns or you might crush them.....I couldn't get the rubber bump stops under the control arms in till I had the weight of the car on the wheels.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Other side was easier after knowing what to expect.  Took exactly 7 firm turns to get things fitted.  Well everything is bolted up, rolling, and steering.  Hopefully the owner has an idea of interior so I can get that ordered. Engine is probably 2 months out as well.  I believe he sent it to 7 for the build.

94touring

Interior is slowly trickling in.   In the meantime the yellow engine is his, fresh from 7ent.

94touring

MiniDave

SO much easier to do with no sheet metal in the way!   77.gif

Car is coming along fast now, have you gotten all the interior bits yet?

Are you going to have to make a box for the Webers to fit into?

Nov of 16 start date......full resto's do take a while, don't they? I really like the metallic green on this car.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Very easy with no front end!
Still waiting on a portion of the interior but I have plenty of other things to tackle on the car in the meantime.

MiniDave

Like getting it running, shifting, driving and the brakes working?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad