66 cooper S full restoration

Started by 94touring, November 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Let me start with an apology for sticking my head into a conversation where I wasn't invited. 

Of course every owner gets to personalize his Mini as he sees fit, but metallic paint on a classic Mk. I Mini, especially a Cooper S?   

In my (quite unsolicited) opinion, I think that will just look 'wrong'.   Expectations of Mini enthusiasts worldwide would be for one of the original period colors from the 1960s for a Mk. I Mini.   And, with a genuine Cooper S, the expectation would further be the original color as it left factory.  I think straying from that would hurt the value of the car. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Ah yes pics!  I don't have color on it yet but the main body is ready.  I put together a new and improved flip front though.  Replaced the old bonnet and put in a new skin.  Have made a few tweaks to it.  Made a dummy move and put the z clip too low so a flare would cover it.  Luckily only did that to one side.  Suspension is torn apart too.

Regarding coilovers, Dave from KC hasn't been too fond of his.  I suppose mid month I'll get to test them.  May be looking into smootharide cones instead.

94touring

Bruce don't say that, I already bought the paint, and it's not cheap!

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on March 02, 2017, 02:49:19 PM
Bruce don't say that, I already bought the paint, and it's not cheap!

Perhaps you could find a 2014 MINI that needs a paint job?  :)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I assume WFAULKN is the owner?

If so, glad to hear from you!

My '89 Mini has metallic green paint and I really like it, although it's not a MKI
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Since the car needed a full front-end job and the owner requested a flip-front, it is already into "custom" and the "purists" would be squawking no matter.

I see no reason the owner should not go with a paint color he really likes.  It may just turn out quite beautiful and be slightly different.  There are lots of "customized" MK-Is out there.

I say "go for it" with regard to the new color.

Merlin

Cool thing about old cars is that you can change the paint color if you don't like it. I'm all for any wild color. Of course I have no respect for classics.

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Very nice!  Looks like it is still wet. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Did the final touches to the flip front. Shaved the wing lip and utilized full length seam covers so you will barely notice it's a flip front. Scuttles match up great and I went with one zues fastener halfway up per side.  I can now continue on with paint.

94touring

After a very hectic couple weeks, I managed to finally get some RBG on this thing.  Head out of town tomorrow, once back I can mask this off and get the interior knocked out.

MiniDave

Nice, what's he planning to do for an engine/trans?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You'll be building a 1275 with some fast road parts...

MiniDave

I didn't know if anything had changed there....looks like you're moving right along.

Does this car have an interior or will you be doing a new one?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It has interior that I'll be reupholstering. 

94touring

94touring

Should have the main body painted this week. One last coat of filler primer to feather.

BruceK

Hard to believe I was just there 2 days ago.  You finished your RX7, did all the work on my car, and on this one too.  Dan, when you're working, you get some stuff done! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Lol, I fixed my neighbors lawn mower too. 

flipstah

Whoa, that's awesome! Looking forward for the engine

94touring

94touring

All this painting lately has my shooting skills fine tuned.

94touring

BruceK

Man that is pretty.  Looks like deep liquid.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S