73 Mini

Started by MiniDave, November 03, 2016, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I tend to worry about having the tow bar too far out from the front panel. 

If the bolts to the subframe are too long, they flex and you get a failure.  I have first hand experience with those bending/breaking (they were grade-8 as well).  Of note is that I did not have the steel cross piece, just the tow bar mounts to the Mini.  Fortunately it failed as I was stopping in an empty parking lot to recheck and had already gotten to under 5 mph.

I've since been told the cross piece makes all the difference, but still recommended to keep it as close to the towed car as possible.

MiniDave

The cross piece does make all the difference, plus I weld the spacer tubes to the cross bar, that way the bolts only have to perform the task they are designed for - to clamp the bar to the subframe, not in shear - then the bar and subframe act as one piece to steer and pull the car.

I've done a lot of miles with mine with no problems (made it to SA, Texas and back in March!  ;D) , I feel confident it will do the job.

The spacers are only just long enough that the bar clears the sheet metal of the body (LP brackets) and that bracket for the light bar, each by about 1/4".

I doubt he'll be towing his car for thousands of miles, this is more of a convenience to allow him to move it between my shop and his, or to his house without having to arrange rides or extra drivers, I doubt he'll ever do a cross country run with it, but who knows?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Bruce's tow bar is an example of too long on the bolts.  It puts too much leverage on the subframe and things actually started bending. 

MPlayle

When I did the one for the current Moke, I did the cross piece ('L' facing forward where the one Dave just made faces backward) and had the spacers and tow bar brackets welded to the cross piece.  The Moke being a flat front, I have it up close - maybe 1/8" - to the front panel.  It will get transferred to the new shell when all of that finally takes place.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on July 14, 2017, 07:13:16 AM
Bruce's tow bar is an example of too long on the bolts.  It puts too much leverage on the subframe and things actually started bending.

True. But, on the other hand, I have  literally towed over 10,000 miles with that towbar and nothing broke.  I think it bent during a very tight U-turn maneuver in a tight hotel parking lot coming back from Mini Meet West last year.  I should have unhooked the Mini instead of trying to U-turn, but it was late and we were tired.   

Anyway, Dan is going to shorten it and reinforce it so it's more like the one Dave built. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Speaking of tight turns - this '73's turning circle is tighter than any Mini I remember driving before, it literally turns on a dime! I know why my green car doesn't, it's those enormous wide 13" tires.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You likely have the reduced rate steering rack.

MiniDave

You mean the quick rack? Yes, I think it does, but that shouldn't affect the turning radius.....should it? Seems like even tho the ratio is quicker the amount of stroke between the two racks should be the same or similar.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Big difference in turning radius between the mpi I owned and my pickup when I was driving both.  The mpi rack just didn't turn as far. 

MiniDave

Yes, but wasn't that because they used stops so the tires wouldn't rub on full lock due to the 13" wheels?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Exactly.....now I remember, they sell blocks for the regular rack when you use 13" wheels so they won't rub on full lock.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, I'm in the last round with this car now (I hope) and in addition to the mods and repairs we'd already planned for he's come up with a few more....

First up was to finish the Broadspeed dash installation....it's taken a bit of engineering to get it to work as he sourced a bulkhead plate for the later model cars (with the gauges off to one side) that he wanted me to use, making it work on this car will require some modifications and work.....but I finally got it all to fit and it's ready to install...I also found the problem with the tach - one of Smith's wires came apart, thank dog it wasn't anything I did. I also am replacing his temp gauge as it always ran really high and I already installed a mechanical gauge to prove that the engine isn't running the temps the gauge said it is - I hope that sorts that out, but before I can do that......

........the car has a radio and he complained of lousy reception so we bought an antenna that mounts inside the car so we wouldn't have to cut a hole in the fender, so I need to figure out where to mount that, plus there's a substantial voltage draw when the engine's off that will flatten the battery in three days time, I think that's going to be the radio too, but I need to sort that out first.

While we were discussing the car he noticed that there was a big old chunk out of the rear windscreen rubber and the chrome inserts were discolored, so he ordered new seals and chrome and oh what the hell lets get a new windshield too while we're at it!

Oh and there are pits in the chrome on the taillights, so lets get a set of those too - which means I have to pull the gas tank yet again (third time now) to replace the left side T/L assembly.

I also have a few bits to do on the towbar, shorten the safety chains and a bit of this and that - but it works great now and he absolutely loves having it.

Oh, and those vinyl cards on either side of the instrument cluster are looking a bit tatty, lets change those too.....

The car has been hard to start when hot, so as a pre-emptive measure we're replacing the old Lucas electronic ignition with a modern electronic distributor.

I also had him order an adjustable engine steady as this is not the original engine or carb setup, and the K&N filter just touches the new bulkhead plate - tipping the engine forward just a bit will give about 1/4" of clearance, that should do the trick.

Lets see.....what else?

It's developed an oil leak that looks like it's the seal inside the right side pot joint, so I may have to tear into that yet......

Oh, and he bought a set of pads and rotors too.

Whew! it's been a bit of a journey with this car, that's for sure, but it drives really nicely now with the new suspension and it's always run well so I think in the long run he's going to  be happy with it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The windshields (I ordered one for my car too) came in in perfect shape, MiniSpares did an excellent job of packaging them, now I just have to wait for the rubbers from Phoenix Trim and I can call the glass guy to do the install.

I may do the one on my car myself, but no way I'm going to do a "customer" car!

I had to pull the fuel tank (again!) to install the left tail light assembly - what a PITA - but it's done now.....so on to the next thing. I put up a pic of my puller setup - worked perfectly just like before.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Glad they showed up unharmed.  They do pack them very well.

Eventually pulling tanks and installing glass becomes easy.  Do you have the beefy filet tool?

MiniDave

No, I have the cheapy wire one, I don't have the one with the roller - that looks like the way to do it right......

Pulling the tank is no biggy other than having to drain it and get gas all down my arm,  and use the puller to remove the Monza adaptor.

The glass guy is going to charge $115 to R&R each windshield, front or rear - haven't decided to let him do mine or not.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Oh see when I move a tank off to the side like you have it, I don't disconnect the line.

MiniDave

I tried but could not get it out of the sleeve around the neck until I disconnected the line....so I had to drain it.

Finishing up the bulkhead plate today, I may have to install the speedo cable before I bolt it up - which may mean unhooking the transmission end first, plus I have to find a tiny opening for the oil pressure pipe. Once in it should work fine but it's going to be a PITA the first time I install it. I made a grommet for the main cables out of some windshield squirter hose and RTV'd that to the plate, it's curing now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Oh, and the latest wrinkle? He wants me to pull the head and see if it has the hardened seats for unleaded gas. Yes, it's a good idea but..............I'm never gonna be done with this car!   ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The Broadspeed dash is now installed - doesn't look like it but it was a LOT of work - but that was because I was building a bulkhead plate to cover the opening, I was trying to modify one used on the later cars with the instruments to either side, but it did not work, between the main wiring harness, speedo cable and oil pressure line, plus all the wiring in the instrument cluster, plus the non-original carb on the engine side, I just could not make it fit. I still have to make the right side dash card fit, and the tach interferes with the defroster down tube on the right side, so that will take some modification yet......these defrost vents are really cheap, just a thin molded plastic folded over and stapled together to make the assembly.

I was able to get the hidden antenna to fit and it definitely made a difference in the radio performance. BTW, it was the radio causing the battery to go flat in 3 days - it had a 1.6 amp draw even when turned off - so either a bad radio or something going on there. I re-wired it so  that it only comes on with the ignition, the alternator should be able to handle a 2 amp radio - now the draw is more like .02 amps - which is the memory draw.

Still to do, modify the right side dash card to fit the new opening, fix the tach wiring harness and install it, then install the new electronic dizzy, new pads and rotors and change the brake fluid, cut the safety chains for the hitch to the right size and a few other bits on the tow bar and that's about it!

Except pull the head for hardened seats.

The glass guy is scheduled for Wed morning to install the new windshield and new rubbers front and rear.

The owner is anxious to get the car back, I think he's had it for more than six months and hasn't driven it hardly at all, but we're in the home stretch now....hopefully.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have set of the offset metal defrost vents.  They need cleaned up a bit.  I got them a while back to use - possibly on the Moke - but am not going to use them after all.

Make an offer plus postage?

MiniDave

I'll let the owner know and get right back to you....what are you thinking? $10 each or something?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

$10 each plus postage will work for me if he wants them.  They will fit in a USPS medium flat rate box which lists as 13.60 postage.

They have the top plate and screws as well.

gr8kornholio

Well, if he's not interested I would be.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes, I'll take them, can I send the money via Paypal?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad