73 Mini

Started by MiniDave, November 03, 2016, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

No, it was OK, and it fit nicely on the thru bolt. Good idea tho......

The other problem is the rears aren't made that way, and that's where the worst noise is....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I put the suspension noise aside for now to concentrate on other work, the choke cable was frayed so I ordered a new one - but I somehow ordered the wrong one so I sent him a link to the right one on MM, it was only $15.

I pulled the intake and carb off and discovered it has an HS4, I thought it felt like it was running out of breath above 5K, now I know why. It really needs an HS6 or Hif44 1 3/4" carb.......if anyone has one they'd like to sell I'll pass it along to him. HS6 that is, to use an Hif44 he'll need a different intake manifold.

I also finally got the header off and out so I can wrap it.....took my neighbor working on the bottom and me on the top to get one of the header pipes out of the Y pipe, but it finally came. Going back in is easier as I can bump the pipe with my rubber or dead blow hammers.....

I think I may have solved the hot running, the fan belt was fairly loose and when I tried to tighten it I found I was at the end of the travel, so down to Autozone for a slightly smaller belt, and now it's nice and tight. No matter, we're still installing the chinesium aluminum radiator.

I did pull the left rear drum as someone on TMF suggested my suspension noise could be in the brakes - but everything was new and exactly as it was supposed to be....it looked like they'd bought the complete backing plates loaded with wheel cylinders, shoes and all. No joy there for the rattle......there's really not much else it can be.

I got my new tires and rear spacers for the Racing Green car but I probably won't get to install them till Friday, when I can get into school between shop classes and use the tire machines. Surprisingly, Mini Spares was about £20 a tire cheaper, shipped, than JBW.

More as it happens.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the header wrapped and reinstalled - it was a whole lot easier going back in than coming out! To get it out I had to remove all the studs so I could swing it left and right to get it out of the Y pipe. 2 of the thermostat housing studs came also out when I took the nuts off so I pulled the last one too, cleaned them all up and lock-tited them in again - having the studs out meant it was easier to clean off the old gasket too. The thermostat was the correct one temp wise and looked new, but it didn't have the air bypass hole in it, so I drilled a 1/8" hole in the plate.

Getting the old radiator out was a chore, I think they must have installed the engine with it on as there was no friggen way  they did it in place. I originally was going to just change the fan belt, but it wouldn't come out with the radiator in place (more on that in a sec) in order to get the radiator itself out I had to remove the electric fan mounted on the outside of the radiator, it was held in place with some plastic straps that went thru the matrix and were held with a clip on the inside. To get to THEM I had to remove the four screws that held the radiator support in place so I could swing it forward to get to the clips, especially the ones at the bottom. It was a PITA to say the least. The new aluminum radiator went in easily because I'm not putting the electric fan back in.

Turns out the reason the fan belt wouldn't come out is the rubber bushings and spacer in the bottom of the radiator support were not there, so it had moved out of place - I think this was done on purpose to allow room for the electric fan as it was right up against the inner fender...so now those parts are on the way too.

I'm on a first name basis with the local DHL delivery driver, I see him several times a week now!   ;D

The car's owner and I have been discussing carburetors, this one has a 1 1/2" rather than the 1 3/4" I usually see on a 1275, and it shows when you get it up above 5K it just runs out of breath. I thought he would have to get a different manifold to accommodate the 4 bolt larger carbs ( the one on the car is a 2 bolt) but it turns out this Oselli manifold will work with either...

He only just got the car so I think I'll let him drive it for a while before he spends the money, he's not a hard driver and the car runs really well right now - it may suit him fine the way it is.

I still have to replace a stripped wheel stud on the left front, and flush the brake and clutch with new fluid, then I'm pretty much done except for that damn rattle.

Oh, I still need to install the new choke cable when it comes and a few other bits and bobs. He's also asked me to engineer something so his turn signals will self cancel. THEN I'm done.....unless he wants to change the carb......it's always sumthin with these little cars, isn't it?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the choke cable in and reattached the heater into place, everything was cooking along fine till......

Houston, we have a problem.......

I was pulling the steering wheel to find a way to get the turn signals to cancel, and when I removed the horn button I went uh-oh......there was a substantial smear of epoxy over the top of the nut. Then when I removed the nut I saw why.....no threads left in the nut or on the end of the shaft.

so, anyone have an early model steering shaft, nut and washer they don't need and would like to sell? I can get all the parts from 7Ent or Minispares, but they only sell the later shaft and I might need to modify it to work on this early car - which I can do of course. This is a right drive MkIII (73?) with the steering column lock.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ironically my steering column was bodged in similar fashion.  I recently put a new wheel on to discover that the threads were cut clear off, the center drilled out and tapped for a bolt.  Drastically reduces strength of the column depending how much metal is not compromised. 

MiniDave

Yeah, a new steering shaft is only about $100, not worth bodging it for no more than that. The problem is these aftermarket steering wheels don't fit down on the shaft as far as the originals, so the nut only engages the last 5 or so threads. I may cut the boss down a bit under the nut or open up the taper on the back so the wheel fits further down on the shaft, that will give the nut full purchase on the shaft.

Can't believe someone would epoxy on a steering wheel nut, especially with no threads.......jeez louise.  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

What a total boob did that!

Epoxy on the steering column? 

I woulda used chewing gum. 

Seriously, I really wonder some times how stupid people can be .
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It's especially discouraging since I've been complementing this car on how well it's been done, then I find things like this....and stripped wheel studs. Makes you wonder what else is hiding in there somewhere that could kill somebody?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I used one of the refurbished ones from 7 Ent and it seemed to be Ok with no modifications required for our 64 and 65 cars.

MiniDave

Refurbished? Wonder what they do to it?

He's ordering a new one along with the bushings and nut and washer from Mini Spares, I get really terrific service from them...if I order over the weekend the parts are in my hands by Wed - takes longer than that from 7Ent, as they don't ship on Mondays, and it's 4 days via ground from Ca.

Plus too and also, the $120 part from 7Ent is £35 from Mini Spares.....even with shipping it will be half price.

I looked at this one online and compared it to the one out of the car and you're right, the one they sell will work with no modifications.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, he wound up buying the steering parts from 7Ent and they came today - pretty quick. However, this replacement shaft matches perfectly to the old one save for one thing, on the older shafts they use a felt bushing, the newer one uses a plastic bushing which I did not order..... so we're down till Monday when Jack can get me the right inner lower bush.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Interesting - I replaced the felt on mine around 3 years ago and have thought about having an extra shaft on hand, as I don't really like the broached wheel boss area on my column - it doesn't appreciate the steering wheel boss being removed and re-installed.  It's almost like it tries to cut new teeth in the boss, doesn't readily re-align.  Another component for 'one day'...
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Interesting....this steering wheel is just an inexpensive Mountney but it fits the splines perfectly. I think I'll machine about 1/4" off the outer boss to allow the nut to get more threads, as it is the nut is just flat with the end of the shaft. Of course, if you didn't apply gorilla strength to tightening the nut, that would probably save the threads too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

My threads are OK, it's the splines - not always receptive to revisiting their previous locations.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Well, as it turns out the owner has access to a lathe and had the hub machined this morning and will drop it off this evening along with the new tires mounted and balanced on his wheels. All I need now is the lower bushing on it's way from 7Ent....

He brought up an interesting point tho......he took the tires to be installed, and after they balanced them he challenged them to check one of them again....this time it came up needing more weight even tho it checked fine when h balanced it. The guy said it was fine and just to put them on the car and see how they drove. But that got me to thinking, shouldn't the results be repeatable?

He did come up with some more little things he wanted done on the car, he's really tall and these seats don't recline so his head rubs the headliner, I've never seen this style of seat before but the back leg is a single pipe on each side, so I'm going to lop off an inch and see if it helps, if it's not acceptable he'll have his guys make up some legs to bring it back up again - his concern is that since the backrests aren't adjustable he'll be leaning back too far when I shorten the legs.

There are some loose wires going who knows where directly attached to the battery and he wants me to sort them out too.

I'll put up some pics in a minute....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've seen those kind of seats in a Mini before.  I know that doesn't makes sense for a supposed 1973 Mini, but that's what the original seat legs looked like on early Mini 850s.  Typically they have little rubber caps on the end of the feet.

look here:  http://1959miniregister.com/variations-seats/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

I was going to add what Bruce did already, very early seats. Some people in the UK pay crazy money for those kinds of things, if all the pieces are there and it looks like they are.

MiniDave

I know Dan has some newer seats he'd like to get rid of, wonder if he'd prefer them?

I already cut an inch off the ends of the legs, I think that did help his headroom as long as he doesn't feel like he's leaning back too far he'll probably be OK with them as they are.

Working on this wiring, what a mess! They ran wires thru multiple holes in the sheet metal with no grommets, there were two switches mounted to the vertical support leg in the middle of the back seat, one for the radiator fan and the other I'm guessing is for the radio amplifier mounted up under the dash. No fuses either.....jeez louise......I'm also going to have to reroute the wire for the electric fuel pump and the radio speakers on the rear deck.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Wow, no protective sleeving either.  Makes one wonder...   :-\
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Is that careless wiring, or scary wiring?

Both.    I don't understand how people can be so sloppy and just think it is okay.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I have newer seats?  I think the one's you're thinking of go to your car.

MiniDave

I thought at one time you said you had a bunch of seats you wanted to rid of, like 20 or so? I must have misunderstood......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

At this point I'm into a major re-wiring job, the basic car wiring is fine, it's the add-ons that are a mess, like the stereo amp, fog/driving lights and fuel pump.

I've never seen so many wire color changes, scotch locks, wire nuts and multiple add-ins in one car before....none of it fused.

They did use relays for the lights at least......one relay hanging from the firewall on the left side of the car and one nicely mounted on the right, switches on the opposite side from the driver......cheese louise what a mess.

And the radio wiring? Nothing but hodge podge and wire nuts.....I hope he can find a wiring diagram for it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

At least it'll be well-sorted and safe when you give it back, and I'm sure the owner will appreciate it; though it'll take a bit o'time, not to mention proper wiring supplies to get it done right.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I do have a plethora of seats but I'm probably going to keep them, cause you just never know!