Sound deadener products

Started by stan360, October 30, 2016, 09:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

Does anyone have some experience using sound deadener products in their mini ?  They make so many ( dynamat , hushmat, raammat )

Just wanted to see if someone actually used this type of  butyl/ aluminum sound damper in stick on sheets .  I thought about doing the interior with it.

MPlayle

I used Dynamat in the green Panel Van I had a couple years ago.

I did the interior - toe-board, front doors, floors, roof, and rear sides.  The interior was fully trimmed out, so it all got covered.  It made a very significant difference in the panel van as it normally becomes an echo chamber.  It also gave the side and roof panels a very "solid" sound when tapping them.

stan360

Good to hear....these areas were what I was thinking to cover as well. Do you recall how many sheets of the dynamat or the square ft. you ended up using on your panel van.. .  I could get by using a bit less in the saloon  but I was thinking dynamat sold the 36 sq ft kits ( the others sell similar kits)  and I may be in need of 2 of those

MiniDave

Take a look here, lots of different types of products for different uses.....

http://www.deadening.co.uk/collections/cld-sound-deadening-mats

Buzz had Dynamat everywhere - every surface - and I don't think that's the proper use of the stuff - rather I think that's for use in the middle of a large panel to stop resonance and vibration, the high end car mfrs use a dense foam product for noise suppression.

Like this stuff...

http://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-pro-barrier-mlv
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I want to say I managed the panel van with just one of the 36 sqft kits.

jeff10049

I used hushmat I think all the products work evercoat q pads are great for floors and cheap.

Dave Is correct you don't need to cover the whole panel dynamatt recommends 30% but says more is better the first 30% makes the biggest difference extream audio guys often cover everything. In a mini in my experience, it just adds  weight and cost for no reason. I have done both and you can hardly tell the difference from a few strips vs full coverage in a mini. minis have to many other causes of noise if your coating it to stop heat then full coverage may make more sense.
I think I did three strips on my doors they sound solid if tapped on.

stan360

Sounds like a little goes a long ways here.  I am just wanting to take the edge off the cabin noise.  I figure with new carpet/insulation padding and new rubber door/window seals all around the addition of some sound damper mats should put things over the top , or make it as comfy a ride as it can be.  I have a newton commercial carpet replacement and their deluxe carpet is not very thick or padded compared to my old factory set that has maybe 3/8" rubber backing on the floor parts.

I will pick a damper kit for sure....just trying to look at the dynamat / hushamat / raammat comparisons and maybe pick one of those.  Thanks for the link Dave....I see there are another manufacturers in there also ......the mat foam products I have seen also on the raammat site and they sell them in a kit or by themselves for dampening. That may be good to bolster up the floor pans to make up for that thinner carpet.   Lots of options.

Richard1

Rather than just refer to brand names, I like to distinguish between two very different types of products for very different purposes.
First: an Aluminized cover Butyl rubber product. I used Fatmat on my Mini and a friend's. Will use it on my Renault as well since I still have a roll. I used a similar product for my Corvair. This type is for resonance elimination and some sound proofing. It does a lot to quite road noise that is transferred through out the body. I've read you don't need 100% coverage, but I do it anyway on the floors and the roof of the Mini pickup before gluing fabric. It generally runs about $1.25 a sq ft. in bulk rolls. There are sites dedicated to finding the difference between the various brands of these, but I think they are splitting hairs.

Here you can see it on the roof as I add glue for the fabric

Here it is on the floor

Then there is the open type foam that is also covered with the aluminized plastic. I use Dynamat Hoodliner. "Hoodliner" is the key word here, as it is designed to absorb engine noises. It quieted my diesel 4Runner, and with it on the firewall of my Corvair, you can't hear the engine without rolling down the windows. I also put it on the hood of my Mini and it killed the little noises. I may put the remaining piece on the upper portion of the interior firewall, as there isn't enough clearance of the exhaust to put anything plastic there. Just the piece on the hood made a huge difference. It is about 1/2" thick or maybe 3/4" and extremely light. Depending on sales, it runs about $50 for the full piece (enough for a truck hood) (amazon.com). I used the aluminized tape to cover the edges.

Never used asphalt based products. Yes, they are cheaper, but they will smell in hot weather.