Hylomar and thread tape Q's

Started by stan360, October 24, 2016, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

I am going to put a few bits on the engine. ( thermostat housing, heater valve, oil filter housing, clutch breather )  I have all my paper gaskets.  I planned on using Hylomar on these areas with the gaskets....is that the best direction to go using Hylomar or perhaps a permatex of some other type ?  Also I have a tapered thread adapter for oil pressure gauge line to block....I think I may pickup a paralel thread bit instead as I dont like the fit of this thing.
Also, I have seen some engines with teflon thread tape on parts like this and the oil filter housing to block pipe, temp gauge bit, etc.  Is that a good idea to use ??

94touring

I use the tape on the oil fitting on the gauge.  I've had a couple leak oil and used it ever since with no problems.  I put some on your brake T fitting banjo bolt plug for extra measure too. 

stan360

OK, sounds good.....have you used the Hylomar sealer before ?

John Gervais

I like to use a very thin film of Hylomar on the waterpump and heater valve paper gaskets.  I heard somewhere that Rolls Royce also uses Hylomar.

When I initially installed a capillary water temperature gauge, I used some teflon tape on the TE5 adapter, and used teflon tape on the  oil pressure switch and capillary oil pressure gauge hose.  Some people wrap the teflon tape the wrong way and it bunches up and can leave shreds inside what your trying to seal.

I recently replaced my water temperature gauge, and didn't bother with the teflon tape; I just tightened the brass bits together.  No leaks, but I really don't like not having the teflon tape there; simply forgot to dig it out and use it. 
- Pave the Bay -

stan360

Sounds great....thanks for that bit of info .

MiniDave

I put the gasket sealer on the part side of the gasket only, then if I have to pull the part off (like to change a thermostat) then it doesn't take hours of scraping to get the head clean again, I use a light coating of grease on the head side of the gasket too......never had a leak doing it this way.

Teflon tape is a good idea, just don't get carried away with it, and like John says, wrap it the right way....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I like the grease tip - use the thin film of Hylomar to as an adhesive to hold the gasket on the part and the light smear of grease will impregnate the gasket and facilitate positioning.   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

BruceK

I used this Permatex Thread Sealant instead of teflon tape when I converted my Mini to an electric fuel pump.   

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/thread-sealants/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant/

They say: 

Automobile
Suggested Applications: Head bolts into through holes, oil PSI sending units and sensors, oil and coolant lines, fuel fittings, rear axle fill plug, brake, and power steering fittings, Differential drain plugs and core plugs. Pipe, water jacket, oil gallery plugs, oil pressure & temperature sensors, air conditioning fittings, hydraulic fittings, vacuum line connectiors, air brake fitting
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara