Exhaust?

Started by Dmulder, October 22, 2016, 05:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

The exhaust clips on skiddettle finally broke. I have it tied up for right now. However I'm thinking of taking this "opportunity" to put a more aggressive sounding exhaust on the car. On that isn't so hard to hear. Any suggestions?
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

BruceK

I predict MiniDave will jump in here and say PlayMini exhaust!   :)

Here's a PlayMini video I found.  Sounds pretty good!   (although I'd cut off that hanger not being used as shown in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxksr9TZtHI
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Well, what all are you planning to change, from the head to the bumper or just the last box?

2 box systems (with a resonator in the middle) are always going to be quieter than a single like on my car. I do like the Play Mini stainless box on this car. That said, my friend has one on his Mini and it is OMG loud - but only when he's on it hard, the rest of the time it sounds just like mine. The only difference I can think of is that he has the header and a very aggressive cam and head on his - more power = more noise? Dunno...

I think mine is just loud enough to be easily heard, but not obnoxious. I also like the pops and burbles on the overrun  ;D

On the highway it's not loud at all.....no droning etc, but again it could be different with different final drive ratios and such.

I'll be running around in it today and try and get some more video.

My buddy Seth has a Sportex single box center exit system from Mini Sport that sounds really good too, and they're less expensive (not made from SS).

This clip sounds more like my car....

and this one, you can really hear the overrun in this clip, mine doesn't do it as much as this car - again headers and cams can affect that 

Hey, I found a clip of my friends Seths car with the Sportex exhaust!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

The sound of the second video you posted Dave is more what I'm looking for. I don't plan on replacing the header. Probably header drop back if I can afford it. If not just the center and back box. I don't want it to drown out everything on the highway but I would like it to sound throaty at idle and in town and I love the sound of the second video you posted.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

I would be happy with either that or the sportex on Seth's car, it sounds great too.....

the second vid has more talk back on the overrun than mine does.....but the sound is the same.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, I tried to get some video of my car, but all you could hear was wind noise once I went above 2nd gear, maybe I'll get another chance today, it's much cooler out and I can try it with the windows closed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Finally got a decent clip of my exhaust sound, the camera is attached as far back as the cord could reach on the side window, and it's popped open - that's as close as I could get to the exhaust pipe so it's louder than you hear in the car.

Also, a little surprise at the end.....as the car in front of me decided to turn left with no warning just as I was looking right to see if I could change lanes. Old car, old tires, no antilock....ahhh, the good old days!  ::)

I don't know why the color is so washed out outside the car....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

Are you using a gopro? If so, turn on the "spot metering." This should allow the camera to focus more on what's outside the car.

BruceK

It sounds great!  I particularly like the snort sound as you move up through the gears. 

Looks like quite a pucker moment when they Impala slowed to turn left. 

Regarding the 'washed out" effect, I think the camera did as any good camera would do in the circumstances - since most of the image comprised the interior of the car, it adjust itself to show that clearly - outside the car was so much brighter than the interior it just overwhelmed the shot.  Not unlike waking up in the morning and throwing the bedroom curtains open to the day.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

No, Garmin dash cam.

I really don't like the GoPro for car related vids - I had one for a short while and vibrations in the car cause it to put a lot of noise in the audio, I hear it in other people's vids too using the GoPro. I also use my Canon Powershot for vids, it works really well, but if the windows are down I have to put duct tape over the mic.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Quote from: BruceK on October 22, 2016, 06:44:32 AM
I predict MiniDave will jump in here and say PlayMini exhaust!   :)

Here's a PlayMini video I found.  Sounds pretty good!   (although I'd cut off that hanger not being used as shown in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxksr9TZtHI

Funny, that's my car. haha. I love that exhaust. Sounded great on the 998. Should sound even better on my 1380.