CV Joint Grease

Started by tmsmini, October 17, 2016, 08:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

I have never trusted the packets that come with the replacement boots. Sometime it is already separating in the packet.

What are people using that is reasonable?

MiniDave

You mean the oil has leached out? That's not uncommon if it has sat for a while, all I do is knead the grease in the package before I use it, never had any problems that way.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

So you use the non-branded stuff that come with the replacement boots? It just seems inconsistent from packet to packet, different packaging etc.

There seems to be some discussion on other forums about whether the same grease is suitable for both wheel bearings and CVs.
This one says it is:
http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/synthetic-blend-grease
Mobil says their Mobil One synthetic is not for CVs

Redline has CV-2:
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82

MiniDave

Use whatever you feel is appropriate, but there are two different types that come with the kits, one with moly (the black stuff) for the outer CV's and a different, lighter grease for the pot joints.

I've not had any trouble using either in the appropriate joint.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've never had any issues with the grease either, other than I tend to use a little more than supplied.

tmsmini

Maybe I was comparing the two different types. I did not realize the POTs used something different from the outers.

MiniDave

Yes the pot joint grease is thinner, and doesn't have molybdenum (the stuff that makes it black)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Oh, I also didn't know that the inner joints use a lighter grease either.  Wish you'd mentioned this earlier... 

I guess then that the pot joints should have high-temp wheel bearing grease (for example, (Link) Castrol LMX)?

So, outer joints get the molybdenum grease - what's the harm (or danger) in using it in the inner pot joints as well?  My pot joints currently have (Link) Castrol MS3 moly grease.

I can use the same moly-grease in my ball joints, is this correct?

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Grease is the word.......

You don't need the high temp grease in the pot joints, they don't run at the hard angles the outer joints do, but it will work just fine. You can use the same stuff in your ball joints, upper control arms, and rear control arms....however the high temp stuff is stiffer and doesn't flow as well.

You really only need two types of grease, chassis grease for everything else, and the moly stuff for the outer CV's......chassis grease works fine for wheel bearings too unless you're going to do track days or endless hours on the motorway on 100* days with the car fully laden going down mountain roads. IOW, it's fine for everything but racing and running in the desert....

Remember these cars are lightly used and lightly loaded.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Ok, this is really good to know, though I wonder if I shouldn't change my wheel bearing grease to something 'lighter' (Castrol LM) next time I service them.

Learning something every day...
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Nah, just leave them alone till the next time they're due for a repack, in about 100K miles!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad