Rack and Steering Column Alignment

Started by tmsmini, October 17, 2016, 08:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Got the car back on the ground and was able to start it and get it in the garage before the rains came.

New replacement rack is in and I need to get the car re-aligned. I ran into this before, but don't remember if I just ignored it or what.

The old pinions on the rack had a groove machined all the way around. The early workshop manual and the early Haynes had a procedure on how to align the column so that the turn signal cancelling pin was oriented correctly for LHD and RHD.

The new racks only have the groove machined in one location and the orientation of the pinch clamp does not match any pictures.
Is the groove supposed to be in the right location on a RHD or LHD when you buy them?

I am used to turning them off manually, but we have one car where they cancel, it would be nice if they worked on both.

MiniDave

Just center the rack (count the turns left to right and put it halfway, then center the steering wheel, then put them together, should be right.

Older racks (they may still, I don't know) had a small plug you removed, then you put a pin in - when the pin dropped in a hole the rack was centered, but you can get pretty close by just counting the turns.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

I also put a rack in my car = and the groove for the pinch bolt  is 1 spot location = never matched to the 'Canceler pin orientation on the column

This was also after using a drift  = to "Center" the rack  then install the Colum Rod.

Was disappointing, have not found a work around ( mabye the rack pinion was off a few teeth on assembly? )

Mk1 = 63 

tmsmini

The new replacement rack has the centering alignment hole. The rack is centered plus or minus the small movement allowed in the pinion hole before tightening the rack clamps.

It is the alignment of the column after centering the rack. I have not had it on the road and I will wait to set the steering wheel until after it is aligned. It is off about 100 degrees with the new rack. Makes me think pinion placement is random on assembly.

Just saw the other reply as well. Probably bigger things to worry about anyway.

jedduh01

So its seems very likey that the Pinion is off= and no way i would consider pulling a rack to try to orient...

i guess a good fix would be Locate + drill + tap the canceler pin in the proper spot + rinstall in same fashion... Oh mini suppliers... Dissapointing..