Clutch Housing breather questions

Started by stan360, October 16, 2016, 03:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

I have an old breather for the clutch housing.....I am not sure what is inside the canister, as it is  gunked up....maybe a filter of sorts ?

Can I clean this up somehow, or should I just get a new one.  The new type is the  bent angle style for cars with brake servo, but should be fine. 

Also is it best to put a mini air filter ( k&n type ) on this area, or just run a breather hose from it and also one on the  timing cover breather and hook those both to the carb with Y adapter , or just use one on the timing cover breather to carb ?

MiniDave

I would tie them together with a Y and take them to the carb.....you need to relieve the pressure in the crankcase.

If you have a parts washer just stick the hose in one end and let it run to clean it out, the can should have a wire mesh inside to catch liquid and direct it back to the crankcase and the solvent will wash it clean.

You can also pull the mesh out and replace it with a Chore Boy.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Yeah, does look mesh like in there in the gunk .  I will give it a good soak and then run em both to carb once I get to that point. Thanks Dave.