Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Moving forward on this:

Where: Basing out of Kerrville, Texas.
Dates:
- Arrive and check-in March 13, 2017 (Monday)
- Check out and depart March 17, 2017 (Friday)
Lodging: At Econo Lodge in Kerrville
- 2105 Sidney Baker St., Kerrville, Texas 78028
- (830) 896-1711

I have 10 rooms being held under my name (Michael Playle) with a confirmation number (492572452).  The rate will be $49 per night plus tax.

To convert a room to in your name: Call the direct number (above) and let them know you are wanting one of the rooms held in my name with the confirmation number.  They will get your name and credit card information and put the room into your name.

I know it is early, but due to Spring Break, March tends to be busy for them and I wanted to get the minimum number of rooms as soon as possible.  We can possibly add more rooms if necessary and they are available.  Unused rooms will be released about February 1, 2017.

I will convert one of the rooms for myself in the next day or two.

BruceK

I just booked my room. 

And I took a look of the motel on Google street view.

Noticing the 3 white boxes labeled with "Mini's" in front of the motel, this must mean that Michael has arranged for suitable-sized portable garages for the first 3 to register!  :)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Thanks for moving this forward Michael.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to "Definite Spring Drive" ? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Main title changed.

I've been working on prospective drive routes.  I'll be previewing each one in the near future.

MiniDave

Add my buddy Don with the Vtec Pup to the list, he's got it on his calendar. The only thing that would stop him is that he's self employed, if work comes in he has to favor it over play time, but he's penciled in.

I booked my room as well, but I won't arrive Kerrville till the 14th

My plan is to drive to Dallas on Monday, overnight there, then on to Kerrville the next day. Don will probably drive with me, and if others want to meet up in Dallas to overnight (Willie B, Susan, John S, Don?) then we could caravan down together on Tuesday.

I also posted this on the KC Mini Club forum....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Wouldn't arriving Tuesday would cut down one day of driving for you?

To make sure we didn't get hit with a "weekend" rate increase, the dates got shifted forward one day (at least I thought/planned such):

Travel in: Sun/Mon (March 12 & 13)
Drives: Tues/Wed/Thurs (March 14,15,16)
Travel home: Fri/Sat (March 17 & 18)

I hope I didn't screw up.

MiniDave

Sorry, I must have missed the update, the days don't matter to me so I can call and change it back, no problem.......thanks for the heads up on that!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

It is as much my error as anything.  I did not get the information out clearly. :(  :-[

For all:

The current details are as follows.

The agenda:
Travel in: Sun/Mon (March 12 & 13)
Drives: Tues/Wed/Thurs (March 14,15,16)
Travel home: Fri/Sat (March 17 & 18)

The details:
Where:
- Basing out of Kerrville, Texas.
When:
- Arrive and check-in March 13, 2017 (Monday)
- Check out and depart March 17, 2017 (Friday)
Lodging:
- At Econo Lodge in Kerrville
- 2105 Sidney Baker St., Kerrville, Texas 78028
- (830) 896-1711

I have 10 rooms being held under my name (Michael Playle) with a confirmation number (492572452).  The rate will be $49 per night plus tax.

To convert a room to in your name: Call the direct number (above) and let them know you are wanting one of the rooms held in my name with the confirmation number.  They will get your name and credit card information and put the room into your name.

MPlayle

Still refining some portions of the routes.  Nothing like the maps showing a very nice squiggly road to find it turns into a private, gated ranch road.

A couple more segments to preview/verify.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Electronic controlled access gate and fencing blocked the way.

::)

Willie_B

Just made the hotel reservation for the drive.

Now for the route plan and reservations.

Looks like my wife is going to fly out at the end. We will have a couple of days to hang out in San Antonio then 2 days drive home.

MiniDave

That sounds like "fun"   ;D

She's really up for a two day drive in the Mini, or are you going to tow down and back?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Going to flat tow it.

She is good for a ride in the mini once a year out to get ice cream.

MiniDave

Yeah, mine has about the same amount of enthusiasm for my Minis......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Add mine to the list of 'enthusiasts' -  11.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

My ex wife daily drove one of my minis for years.  Then she bought a bini during the divorce. 

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Dmulder

Isn't the Houston Rodeo also in March. I lived in Port Arthur Texas for 4 1/2 yrs. spent lots of time in Houston and took several trips out west towards San Antonio, New Braunsfell, and Kerville. Never had a mini then. I'd love to come on the trip. especially if the blue bonnets are in bloom and we can stop at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory. Maybe I can convince my wife to do it if I tie the Rodeo into it somehow. She grew up going to the rodeo every year.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MPlayle

I don't know when the Houston Rodeo is.  The Blue Bell Ice Cream factory is between Houston and San Antonio (closer to Houston) and the drives are out of Kerrville (the opposite side of San Antonio from Houston).

The wild flower season down here varies widely.  If we have a mild winter, early spring, they may be abundant.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on January 05, 2017, 07:12:46 AM
Getting closer.  I'm getting excited!

Got Emma ready to go?

I was just making a list today of things I need to do to the Racing Green Mini......drill out the front mount holes for my tow bar, put it back on the alignment machine and reset the suspension one more time - it drives OK, just looking for some marginal improvements, and the springs have settled  little bit.

Oil and filter change.

Still haven't rebuilt the front calipers, will probably redo the rears while I'm at it since I found a slight leak in one of the rear wheel cylinders.

I'm thinking about using a stock air cleaner - these K&Ns are noisy! - I have one but I'd need to do some adapting to make it work as it's off a later car.

Still can't decide whether to pull the engine and change the final drive or leave it alone....it runs well as it is and as I'm not driving it to Texas but towing it I don't have to worry about driving 14 hours at 4K RPM.......

Happy with the dash and instruments at last, but I have a nasty rattle in the heater now.

I'm sure there's more.......there is always more to do on a Mini  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 05, 2017, 10:01:54 AM
Quote from: BruceK on January 05, 2017, 07:12:46 AM
Getting closer.  I'm getting excited!

Got Emma ready to go?

No.  It's too cold in my garage to work on her.   I bought a space heater at Lowe's over the weekend, but it doesn't seem to be up to the task.   I'm going to return it and look for something a little better.

I don't really need to do anything to the car in order to take it on the Spring Drive, but I'd like to install new front subframe mounts since the current rubber mounts are shot (that would make it much easier to attach the towbar too), and I should change out the front wheel bearings too.  And while I've got that apart, I should install new brake discs too.   And might was well install new rear drums and shoes.

Also, I'd like to change out my current Group 2 wheelarches to the W&P style (already have them) which would allow me to lower the car a bit (I think it currently sits too high), but again, not really needed to be done by Spring Drive time.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S