Definite - "Spring Drive" in Texas Hill Country

Started by MPlayle, October 16, 2016, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

A while back in another thread I tossed out to MiniDave the idea of having one of his style drives down here in the Texas Hill Country outside San Antonio, Texas.  He recently reminded me of that in my Moke thread.

So this posting is to get an idea if people would actually be interested.  I asked MiniDave when his 'spring break' would be for getting a prospective date range.  His response was March 13 - 19.

Since it is likely a bit of a drive for folks to get here, I was thinking of something like: Tues/Wed=travel, Thurs/Fri=drives, Sat/Sun=return travel

This would give a few days at the front of spring break for whatever and permit travel time.  It could also be shifted to allow more travel time or expanded if folks would like three days of drives.

The plan would be to find an inexpensive motel to see about some rooms in one of the smaller towns in the hill country just outside San Antonio as the "base" for the drives.  (Somewhere such as Boerne, Comfort, Bandera, or Kerrville.)

Would folks be interested in actually coming down this far for such a gathering?

MiniDave

I put it out there to my classic Mini group today, it's being considered......the distance is a problem for the KC folks. We'll see what happens......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Keep me posted.  The distance thing was a concern of mine as well, but we'd never know if we didn't put it out there for consideration.

I just found another nice road in the area to work into a drive.

MiniDave

I would think some of the Texas boys would come, BruceK in Dallas plus the guy he met at the last C&C, Justin who bought my old Clubby, maybe the OK boys like Dan and Patton.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MPlayle

Dan,

Let us know if you can put in for the days off.  March 13,2017 through March 19, 2017.

BruceK

Great idea.  I'm in!   From many years of driving and also riding motorcycles out there, I know first hand the great roads and interesting places to visit in the Hill Country.   And there are plenty of them!

Since the distance to the Hill Country has been mentioned as a concern, here's a thought:  Why not consider a base toward Austin instead of San Antonio?  It's a bit closer for people coming South and frankly, Austin has more a 'draw' for people to consider going.   And there are many great roads southwest of Austin into the Hill Country.

The time varies each year depending upon the weather, but we might just hit it lucky and find the state will be covered with Bluebonnet wildflowers at that time of the year.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Southwest is one of the major growth directions for Austin.  Much of that area has been changing a lot.  It now has lots of traffic and may be harder to locate a motel without having to go through lots of traffic to reach the nicer Mini roads.

I can definitely look into it if the preference is for out of Austin versus Boerne or Kerrville.

Willie_B

This is looking like a good drive. Getting there and the event!

MiniDave

So, are you coming then? we'd love to have you along for sure!

Looks like about 13 hours from KC, 14 from Atlanta and 8 from OKC to San Antonio.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Bare in mind that I never know my schedule till a month in advance. 

Willie_B

At least it should be cooler driving weather.

MPlayle

It sounds like enough interest to me: Bruce, Dave, Willie-B, myself, possibly Dan, maybe more. (Anyone run it past Dean aka: Dooder?)

I figured if 4 cars would commit, I would set it up.  I will post more details as I work it out.

Do folks want 2 days driving or 3?

If 2 days: 1 day of a couple short runs and 1 "all day" run?

If 3 days: 2 days of shorter runs and 1 "all day" run?

MiniDave

I put up a thread on Motoring Alliance, and I'll put something up on Classic Minis United too.

It's early to be making firm plans so I'd say lets see how many give a firm commitment to determine how much driving to do but I'm thinking to go that far, three days might be fun.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on October 17, 2016, 07:30:13 AM
Southwest is one of the major growth directions for Austin.  Much of that area has been changing a lot.  It now has lots of traffic and may be harder to locate a motel without having to go through lots of traffic to reach the nicer Mini roads.

I can definitely look into it if the preference is for out of Austin versus Boerne or Kerrville.

Michael, thanks for the update about that area.  I have to remind myself that things haven't necessarily stayed the same there since I moved to DFW. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Bruce,

You would not recognize the IH-10 corridor out to Boerne anymore.  There is development of one sort or another all the way out.

At least staging out of Boerne (or one of the other possibilities in the area) will put the motel right at the start of some nice Mini roads.

For the hill country southwest of Austin, I would have to investigate staging out of Dripping Springs or Wimberly.

New Braunfels or San Marcos might also be options.

MiniDave

I posted a short note on CMU's Facebook Page and on Motoring Alliance, we'll see if any interest comes up from those sources too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I showed Dean this post.  We may see if Patton can trailer down a batch of cars. 

MiniDave

My post on the Classic Minis United Facebook page has been seen by 37 people so far....if anyone contacts me I'll direct them to this thread for details, maybe we'll get a few new members that way too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

I'd be interested but that would be a very long drive for me. I used to live in S.E? Texas in the Golden Triangle as they called it (Port Arthur).  If I did this I would have to trailer down. Maybe I could stop in KC and pick up my brother in law on the way.

Side note - anybody thought about doing Mini on the Mac? It is scheduled for Aug 5 2017. Attempt to break a world record and drive over the mighty Mackinac Bridge from the lower penninsula of Michigan to the Upper Penninsula. Great event great roads great views.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

Yep, pick up the bro and come on down! I plan to tow mine to San Antonio.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Since the interest is growing and Dave mentioned that for the distance, three days of drives would be nice, I will plan around the following schedule:

March 13/14 (Mon/Tues) = Folks traveling to the gathering
March 15/16/17 (Wed/Thurs/Fri) = Drives in the Texas Hill Country
March 18/19 (Sat/Sun) = Folks traveling home

I will get on locating a motel suitable for the gathering (ample parking for folks trailering and reasonable cost).

MiniDave

It's early days yet, but it looks like if everyone can make it we could have about 10 cars - that's a good workable number for a run like this.  4.gif

Bruce K
Dave C
Dan S
Justin D
John S
Susan M
Mike P
WillieB
Dooder
Patton
Don I

so far have all expressed interest in going......that's 11 right there. Invariably there will be some last minute drop outs, but it still should be a good sized group.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Which "Mike" is on your list (me or another "Mike")?

Willie_B

I did not get shot down when I brought it up so it is still the top of my to do list.