Definite - "Spring Drive" in Texas Hill Country

Started by MPlayle, October 16, 2016, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Did you all see Madness Autoworks has opened a new shop in Spicewood, Texas?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll be staying in the Austin area most likely.  Are the roads we're driving on north of Kerrville?

MPlayle

Dan,

Some of the roads are north of Kerrville, some are south, some are east and some are west.

MPlayle

To give folks a chance to scope a bit of the areas where the drives will go:

I have one short, one medium and one long drive planned.  I have a couple variations on the long drive available.

The "Short" drive goes Kerrville to Comfort to Luckenbach to Boerne and back to Kerrville.  (Runs mostly east from Kerrville, some northeast, some southeast.)  Lunch planned at a small burger place on the Boerne town square.  (Could possibly find a reasonable 'taco' place.)

The "Medium" drive goes Kerrville to Fredricksburg to Llano (via Enchanted Rock) back to Fredricksburg (via Willow City Loop) and back to Kerrville.  (Runs mostly north from Kerrville.)  Lunch planned at Cooper's BBQ in Llano.

The "Long" drive (and variations) goes Kerrville to Medina to Leakey and areas beyond and back to Kerrville (via Hunt to stop at the Texas Stonehenge).  (Runs mostly west and south from Kerrville.)  Lunch planned at a burger/bbq place in Leakey.

I have a restaurant contact in Kerrville (family friends) that runs one of the best steak houses in Texas with perhaps the best wine list in Texas.  I had figured one dinner would be there (the Cowboy Steakhouse).  I can probably ask them for recommendations of other types of food in the area for other dinners.

Willie_B

Mileage wise what is short, medium and long?  The CMU drives in the mountains every 18 months average 70-100 each day.  Easy days of fun with several stops to regroup as there are usually 60 cars or so.

Really looking forward to this.

MPlayle

Short = about 125 miles
Medium = about 140 miles
Long = about 260 miles (maximum, depending on variation)

The maximum of the "Long" drive includes a modified version of the "Three Sisters Roads":

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/555/Texas/The-Three-Sisters-(AKA-The-Twisted-Sisters)--Ranch-Roads-335-336337a.html

94touring

I hope there's a gas station on the 260 mile leg!

MiniDave

Yeah, I'll need to bring an extra 5 gal tank!  4.gif

I think my car is getting about 20 mpg these days.......260 miles is a long day behind the wheel, after driving 800 to get there....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

There is at least one gas station in Leakey and one in Camp Wood.  The "Three Sisters Roads" run has the least fueling options.

I have no idea of the fuel "efficiency" of the Moke, so will be fueling often and using GPS for a speedometer.  I will also likely be carrying a couple gallons of spare fuel, possibly more if I get a larger "jerry can" to accessorize the Moke.

The longest possible section of the Long drive is about 95 miles (outbound Kerrville to Leakey).  All of the other drives have shorter segments and lead to places with more fueling options along the way.

I had figured the "Long" drive for the second day.

MiniDave

Sounds like fun to me - I'm in for everything!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Trying to talk Rose into doing what WillieB's wife is ....fly in at the end and spend a couple of days in southwest Texas.

Her one question to me when I suggested it.......Why?   ::) ;D

I can bring a couple of plastic 5 gallon fuel containers with me if we want them along just in case.

If he comes (which right now he is planning to do) we'll have Don's trucklette to carry them in.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have a 2 gallon can I'll probably bring just in case. 

MPlayle

I have 2 standard 1 gallon plastic ones already.  I also ordered a steel 5-gallon jerry can style for mounting on the rear of the Moke.  The steel one should arrive in a few days.

On many of the drives I've led in the past, I have carried the 2 small plastic ones and ended up not needing them.  It is one of those "better safe than sorry" items to be shared as/if necessary.

susan

Hi everyone....finally got the Mini over to Mini Dave and he got my bar and a bunch of other things, however I still need to get the wiring done on the hitch and straighten out carb issues!  It's always something!!! 
But, I just made the hotel reservations, so I'm in and the pressure is on!  Tomorrow I make kennel reservations for the dog here at home.....Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Susan

MPlayle

So Dave,

What does the "head count" for the drive look like now?

It will help if I can give at least the steakhouse a "heads up" on how many we might be.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

Buzz Clubman

As of today ... "Still In"

Mike, glad to see you have the "Twisted / Three Sisters" planned.
I have never had done this in any of my Mini/MINIs, only on two wheels.
Very much looking forward to this!!! 4.gif

MiniDave

With Justin we stand at 9, including you - our host.

Unless someone new pops up or someone unexpectedly drops out I think that's going to be the number. Dooder's engine is still apart, haven't heard from Patton and the Priep's extended their regrets. Of the other sites I posted up the trip on I got zero responses, and the other classic Mini folks in this area aren't able to go for one reason or another. Maybe one of the folks Bruce talked to at C&C might come?

9 to 10 is a good workable sized group tho, much larger and it can become unwieldy and difficult to keep the group together. Going to be fun, I'm really looking forward to the rides.

Mike Playle
Brad Roussele
Dave Craven
John Styers
Susan McKenzie
Don Ipock
Dan Stoughton
Justin DuPont Crouse
Bruce Kennedy

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll have the slow 998 in the rear of the pack.

MiniDave

You won't be slow, based on our last run!

I'm thinking the Moke might be the slowest one of our group?

Before we hit the road we should make sure we all have each other's cell numbers. We could do that Monday night when we get to the hotel I guess.....I think I have everyone's except Mikes.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

And I'll be the even slower 850 leading!   :D

MiniDave beat me to posting!

MiniDave

With 850 cc's of rip roaring power, you can only do so much!  62.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

In a flat faced Moke as well.  (Add an effective 'drag chute' if driving with the top up - has a non-opening rear window.)

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle