Definite - "Spring Drive" in Texas Hill Country

Started by MPlayle, October 16, 2016, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

If any of you "staying over" in San Antonio into the weekend wish to meet, call me (210-254-7341).

MiniDave

Don, Bruce and I are headed north in the early am, we'll see you the next time!

Thanks for putting this together Michael, we all had a terrific time - thanks to you!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Safe travels for everyone headed home.  Loving the pictures.   71.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

MiniDave

Don, Bruce, Justin and I headed out about 8 am, it was drizzly but at least not raining....

Justin was the first to drop out of our little group, heading for home in East Texas.....the three amigos carried on to Stephenville, where we found yet another BBQ place, and this one turned out to be even better than the one in Llano!

At that Point Bruce headed east leaving Don and me to carry on....however not too far up the road Don's Pup sputtered to a halt, sounding like it was out of fuel. Even tho the gas gauge showed 3/4, it clearly was much lower than that. But after sitting for a few minutes it popped off, so we high-tailed it to the closest gas station - which was a bit iffy looking, so he only added 2 gallons, enough to get us to the next biggish town. We only made it another 12 miles or so before it died again.

After sitting for just a few minutes the Pup roared into life again and we set off yet again.....20 miles later, well you know the drill by now.

We were on I-44 now when we spied a likely exit, where it died at the bottom off the off ramp. We did get it going again, and drove a couple of miles to a Valero station where we topped up and just for good measure I added a bottle of Heet....remembering Brad's experience in Omaha.

We won't know fur sure till we get going tomorrow but I'm encouraged by the fact that it did 80 miles after that without a sputter!

We found lodging at a newly built Hampton Inn on the east side of OKC, tomorrow we'll stop by Dan's shop to pick up the reamer, then onward home....fingers crossed!

One interesting note, this Hampton has a free electric car recharging station!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I've heard hard 8 is good BBQ.  Funny thing is, one of the best rated BBQ places is just north of me in McKinney.  Hutchins BBQ and I still haven't made it there. 

A little ironic the "reliable" Honda powered mini was giving you issues.  Glad to hear sounds like the problem may have been solved.  Safe travels the rest of the way home. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Wasn't the car's fault, he clearly got a slug of bad gas......the bottle of Heet did the trick, it drove the rest of the way home without a single hiccup.

The BlueBonnets were coming out.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Gotta love the poor gas around this country.

MPlayle

Interesting that Don was the only one that got some bad gas.

Was there a stop where he was the only one to fill up?

Willie_B

For anyone that wants to know, the last milepost marker on I-10 leaving Texas is number 880. That is a long way from side to side.

Dinner when I stopped for the night was 2 pounds of crawfish.

94touring

Brad I think I spotted you and the misses at the riverwalk in San Antonio.

Willie_B

BruceK

Sharing some pix...

This first one was taken when some of us arrived a day earlier than originally planned and visited a German restaurant in Fredericksburg.  (Great food!)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Awesome pictures.  4.gif  Looks like a lot of fun.  71.gif

94touring

It was a fun time.  Really enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting a couple new faces.

BruceK

We spotted this old Dodge pickup at one of our early stops.

I'm kinda fond of it.  In fact, I find myself really lichen it.   :)

(I'll see myself out...)

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Hey, I know there were some videos and cool drone photos taken during the Spring Drive. 

When can we see them?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Don will get to his this weekend, and I'm hoping to get mine posted over the weekend too.....the sound is terrible on mine due to the wind noise, I'm going to have to find a way to shield the mic - so just turn the sound down and it's not too bad.

I had a lot of hours of vid to go thru to find the "good" parts, then it's a matter of learning how to edit them into one clip that's not too long and boring.

Right now I'm building Dan's engine.

Because I made the mistake of going to Magnolia Pearl's website to show my wife, I now have their ad popping up on every webpage, FaceTube or anything else I open! Except RM thank god!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Clear your browser cache, history, and cookies and you may likely stop getting all the ads popping up on everything.

I keep my browser (Firefox) set to clear all of those every time I close the browser.

94touring

gr8kornholio

That's a really cool looking truck, project time? 

Excited now for the weekend to see the videos and pictures.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 24, 2017, 03:36:36 PM
That's a really cool looking truck, project time? 

Oh gosh no. That truck is a prop, part of an elaborate set piece boutique designed resemble an old country farmhouse (or a barn) and it was done pretty convincingly.   It's all designed to sell cheap rags from India to wealthy women.   I know that might sound harsh and judgmental, but it is actually pretty accurate.   The farm building was so intriguing and cool looking that we stopped by to check it out – thinking it was a brewpub or possibly a restaurant.   We had no idea it was some type of ultra high-end clothing store located isolated out in a rural area (but near wineries).  They actually take raggedy-looking clothes cheaply made in India and sell them for $400, $500, $600 and more.  Don described the fashion style as "Stevie Nicks meets Little House on the Prairie" which is wonderfully accurate.   The Dodge truck and some other ancient trucks are parked around the place to help provide atmosphere.   I'm sure they're worth more to the store in the current dilapidated condition then they'd ever be as restored vehicles.    Google Magnolia Pearl to see more.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Google Magnolia Pearl to see more.

Only if you want to see their ads on every web page you open from here on!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 24, 2017, 04:54:20 PM
Google Magnolia Pearl to see more.

Only if you want to see their ads on every web page you open from here on!  ::)

Geez, you're getting a double whammy with those Magnolia Pearl fashion popup ads plus your woman's magazine subscriptions. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S