Car runs GREAT!!.... won't go into gear

Started by Funpig, October 06, 2016, 05:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

FWIW, I lost my clutch on an event, bled the snot out of it and it still wouldn't release - new slave fixed it. I could not understand how a slave that wasn't leaking a drop could fail like that, but it did.....new slave is like $16, might be worth investigating.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

You may need to shim the clutch master where it mounts to the bulkhead.  I had to do that on the brake master for the Tahiti Blue Mini.  If the master is too close to the pedal, the pushrod of the master remains partially pressed and has less (or insufficient) travel.

Just the thickness of this gasket was enough.

If the brake master also needs shimming at the same time, try this gasket.

Funpig

Thanks for the input everyone.    77.gif
I will look into shimming things first.  I guess I forgot to mention that EVERYTHING from the Master to the rear main seal is new.   From what I have been reading the clutch pedal for a RHD is a little different than the LHD.  My setup is a RHD that I moved over to LHD.  I can't tell from photos if a LHD will give me the little bit of additional throw that I would need.   Regardless..... I will do some shimming and see if that helps.  Its just going to have to wait until this weekend as I am beyond swamped at the Monkey Farm!!

BruceK

Regarding differences in the pedals as a potential cause, I found this link showing the differences in brake pedal travel through the years.  I don't know if clutch pedals were the same, but it is interesting.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/270440-difference-between-3-types-of-mini-brake-pedal/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

Neat- i wonder if they were compensating for more soundproofing and carpeting as the years went by? I know my 94' had a High brake pedal compared to the 63.