I installed a 3rd brake light

Started by John Gervais, October 05, 2016, 02:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I haven't a picture, but I installed a 3rd brake light. 

I bought the Hella (5239) Model 39 from (Daniel Stern Lighting) and must admit it's pretty darned nice.

Because I have a habit of occasionally removing the glass, I ended up making a pair of mounting brackets and fitted the lamp by screwing through the rear parcel shelf rather than sticking it to the rear window.
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Great minds think alike!  I bought the same Hella model (made in Oz) from Daniel Stern, and installed it in my Mini last year.  I really wanted the extra protection and visibility of a CHMSL when driving in modern traffic. 

Back in the 80s when these 3rd brake lights became a legal requirement on the 1986 model cars, there were a lot of aftermarket lights available to retrofit to older cars.  Now, with 30 years of having them on all cars sold in this country, quality aftermarket ones are very scarce.   Thank goodness the Australian market needed these, and Hella came through. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Yep - That's the one, and for the same reason!   4.gif  It's not easy being the small invisible car, so every extra bit of visibility helps.  I didn't have the camera in the garage, but I'll try to get a picture.

Did you stick yours to the glass? 

(edit - that's a big MiniSpares box, more goodies???)
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Yes, mine is stuck to the glass.  First I applied the gray mask to the glass (wish it was black instead), and then I applied the light to the mask.    I have had several other Mini drivers notice how bright and effective it is.  Just what I wanted. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Hyacinth met me at the garage the other day - she hadn't been there since last Spring, nor seen the mini for several months.  She was wildly impressed with the lamp.

I finally brought the camera to the garage, so here's a pic of the legs I made to mount it, which should make changing the rear glass a breeze.
- Pave the Bay -