67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

The current efforts:

Laying out the new bits for rebuilding the front suspension.

Sorting the new wiring harness in comparison to the old harness.

Edit:
Not shown are the rear sub-harness for the fuel pump and tail lights and the work on the sub-harness for the new electronic speedometer.

MPlayle

Got the main harness and speedometer harness all done today.  Even put them into the gauge pod.  I just have the wiper switch and its sub-harness to sort and the new oil pressure and water temperature gauges to install for finishing that as a "sub-assembly" ready for the new body when it is ready.

MPlayle

A bit more "electrical" progress today.  I got the gauge pod basically finished up - wiper switch wired and installed, extra gauges added and their lights wired in, and a power port attached (for phone charger and GPS).

Also did test fitting and filing of the electronic speed sensor for fitting it to the transmission (no picture) and installed one front suspension upper arm.

MPlayle

Some more progress today.

Got the steering rack refurbished - removed the old boots, greased the knuckles, installed new boots and clamps, cleaned the threads of both ends, and installed new steering knuckle ends (pivot pins).

Also worked on the front suspension - got the other side upper arm installed and the full hub assembly for the first side installed.

BruceK

Great progress.  I'm sure it's going to be a real pleasure to put all these clean shiney pieces on a freshly painted body shell.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I sure hope so.

One thing that will be a challenge is putting the engine and front subframe into the car as a single assembly from the bottom up (factory style).  The tail of the magic wand shifter was a pain in the ass to get out pulling just the engine from the top.  I'm hoping going bottom up as a complete assembly will be a bit easier.

94touring

You need to borrow my gantry crane for that!  Or get 4 strong guys to grab each corner.

MPlayle

It will probably turn out to be a combination of two guys and an engine hoist with several ratchet straps.  A real "circus" in the making.

jedduh01

Dropping the body on is a great way to go!   ends up surprisingly Easy!

MPlayle

Jedduh01,

Thank you VERY much for the visual of the process!  I had not thought to mount the front bumper and use it as the lift point for the hoist.

MPlayle

Not much progress to report.  The body has been in the shop for the "roll bar"/top support, new top and painting since late November.  They did not get it into the work schedule until this month.

The top support has been made (similar to the one for the Portuguese Mokes) and is off to be powder coated as of Monday.  The top and paint got delayed for different reasons: upholstery guy has been out with the flu, their good paint guy left to become a ski-lift operator back at the end of November, the replacement guy was not working out and got let go last week (before the Moke came due for painting) and they have not yet got another replacement painter.

I did try cleaning up the awful "gold" paint from the brake master cylinder only to discover a pin-hole leak in the bottom of the reservoir.  I went ahead and ordered new master cylinders for both the brakes and clutch.  I went with the plastic reservoir ones for cost savings.  I'll do another thread for reference on bleeding those.

94touring

Time and money on a project always seems to take longer and cost more than expected.

MPlayle

Dan,

I went into this one fully prepared for the "time & money" aspect.  I had built up and set aside a significant fund for this project and I have not yet used it up.  The "out of my control" delays can be frustrating, but I have also expected to run into plenty of them and am not on a specific time schedule.

It is all the finding little things as I try to refurbish original parts for reuse. 

Until I cleaned up the master cylinders, the pin-hole leaks were clogged with gunk/paint/debris and went unnoticed.

Since I am making a number of "upgrades" from original, I saw no reason to spend nearly double for the replacement metal can masters over the plastic reservoir ones.

94touring

Good! I will say anything hydraulic related I don't bother trying to refurb. New masters, wheel cylinders, and all rubber gets replaced.  Because if it's not a pin hole leak now it will be one 3 months from now or seals that won't hold pressure.  Then you're right back upside down trying to fit the pins on the pedals. 

MPlayle

The brake system is now going to be entirely new from the pedal clevis pin onward (clevis pin, master cylinder, lines, connectors, new disk assemblies in front, to new everything in the rear).

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on January 24, 2018, 06:15:28 PM
The brake system is now going to be entirely new from the pedal clevis pin onward (clevis pin, master cylinder, lines, connectors, new disk assemblies in front, to new everything in the rear).

Sounds perfect for a car with brand new almost everything else.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tennmoke

This was my procedure to lower my shell onto the front subframe assembly.  Worked well.  Used eye bolts in the rear shock towers and front master cylinder holes.  Hopes this helps.  Mark

MPlayle

TennMoke,

That is the approach I had been trying to figure out, but had not yet gotten sorted.

MPlayle

Update on the shop's work on the Moke: it is looking like I may get it back the end of this coming week.  They were working on the top this past Thursday and Friday.

MiniDave

You have to be getting excited to get it back and start the assembly process!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My daughter reports that it's 80° today in San Antonio.  (!).  So if that keeps up you'll have some pretty nice weather for the build.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

It is finally all done at the shop.  I am scheduled to pick it up and bring home on Monday.  Then the "fun" of re-assembly begins.

94touring

MPlayle

Pictures of the painted shell and "roll bar" after bringing it home.  The "roll bar" acts as the support for the new top similar to the Portuguese and Cagiva Mokes.

Willie_B

Nice rollbar setup. Custom or available somewhere? I just started looking to see what's out there for one.