67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I already have a set of the correct factory rear reflectors.

The plan for cutting out the slats of the fixed grill and using a removable grill is precisely for access to the distributor and oil changes.

I know I can order the locking springs for the DZUS fasteners from lots of places.  I can also order the dome style fasteners, just have to work out the correct size and how they get held in place (what retaining clip to use and how it gets installed).

MPlayle

Time for a progress report.  No pictures this time.

The disassembly progresses.  It is up on stands, the old engine is out, the drum brake hubs and axles are out, the truck box is out, the seats are out, the tank protector panel is off, the windshield is off, the jerry can mount is off, the bumpers are off, the hand brake is disconnected, part of the fuel plumbing is removed, the main battery cable is removed.

The side covers have all been stripped and given a coat of primer ready to go to paint with the new body when it is ready.  The new grill is fully painted as are the gas cap, bumpers, grab bars and the radiator mounts from the old engine that are going to be reused on the new engine.  the windshield frame has also been stripped and given a coat of primer ready to go to paint with the new body.

MiniDave

When do you think the new one will show up?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I tried to find that out this past week.  Richard at M-Parts said he would check with the shipper, but did not get back to me.

I'll probably call them in the morning to try to find out.  (Edit: I meant Monday morning.)

I am hoping by the end of this month.  I am trying to get the old shell fully disassembled fairly soon so I can get it out of the garage for more room to refurbish the subframes and prep the new shell when it arrives.

Since Dan is likely to pass on taking the old shell and I've not heard back from jedduh01, I am most likely just going to scrap it.  As such, the soon I get it fully disassembled, the better.

MPlayle

Another update:

The ship with the new shell is scheduled to dock in Houston on the 21st of October.  The customs broker said about a week after that for potential delivery.

The disassembly continues.  I've been progressively backing out the old wiring harness, preserving it and labeling connections as I go.  Basically everything is off the shell from the rear to the firewall - including the rear subframe.  The front of the rear subframe was held in by two 1" badly rusted fragments of the original heal board - 1 on each side.  I did not have to try to remove the front trunion bolts.  When I removed the rear ones and tried lowering the subframe, those two remaining tabs just came apart.

Next is finish the wiring removal, take out the pedal box and drop the front subframe.  Then I get to put the old shell on its side and store away - Hugh Cannon is going to buy it and pick it up in early November.

I also get to see if I can get each of the subframes apart for refurbishing.  The front seems in good shape.  It may be more expedient to get a whole new rear subframe and let someone else work at refurbishing this one - it seems reasonably solid, but the front corners are packed with dirt and such along with rusted bolts covered in black undercoating.

Edit:
I've put a bunch of pictures of the disassembly process up in an album in the media gallery of the forum called "Disassembly" for anyone interested. 

MiniDave

Michael, you have to be getting really excited to see your new shell arriving so soon!

Who is Hugh Cannon? Reason I ask is you put his name out like we should know him.....

Still a million things to do, but real progress is being made now. The next big phase will come once the body is painted, are you going to stay with your white/black trim scheme or did you decide to go for some color?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hugh is a mini guy who does shipping.  He picked up vikrams car and been out to my shop a couple times.

MPlayle

Hugh also actually delivered the Moke to me.  He is one of the "Dr Mini" usernames over on Mini Mania.

When he called me about the shell, he mentioned that someone in the KC area had let him know about it and my thread here on this forum.

Today's progress report: the wiring is now completely out along with all the lights, instrument panel, pedal box and front subframe.  The only items still on the old shell to come off are the steering rack and the brake line running from the front to the back.

The front subframe needs the remnants of the toe-board taken off - I had to cut that free as the bolts were just turning and there was no access to them because of the patches.  The front subframe is in good shape and will clean up for reuse. 

The rear subframe is savable, but beyond what I have the tools and capability to do - it is pretty packed up with crud covered in undercoating and rusted mountings for all of the attachments.  I took off the brake proportioning valve and the hand brake cables.  The rest will be offered up for whomever wants it for "make me an offer plus shipping or local pickup".

MiniDave

Wonder if the local guy is Jim Allen, he's the guy I got the 67 Cooper S from......he buys and sells a lot of Minis and Mini stuff.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Hugh got the moke body that I parted out a few years back too. I refused to sell it to him as I did not want any gripes about haw bad it was so I gave it to him.

He is a nice guy to have on your team. Knows his stuff and will do anything to help if he can.

MPlayle

It is finally fully stripped and tucked away until Hugh can come pick it up.  Also got the front subframe stripped down and ready for a good cleaning.  It should clean up nicely for reuse.

The shafts of the upper arms looked good too.  The grease on the shaft was clean and clear.  There were no bearing marks in the shaft either.  Those should clean up well for reuse too.  I just have to get the cones and knuckles separated from the trumpets.  I may opt for hi-los instead.

MiniDave

I'm confused, is your old shell coming to KC? I checked with Jim Allen, he says it's not coming to him.....I also found out he has the reamer  for the rear trailing arms if I need to borrow one again, even tho Dan has been very generous with his it's nice to have one local.

My friend Clancy Schmidt (with the race cars I crewed for this summer at Elkhart Lake) has a very rusty Moke he's getting back on the road, wonder if he's taking it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

No, it is not going to KC (as far as I know).

Hugh lives over in the Knoxville, Tenn area and he is buying it.

Hugh heard about it from someone in the KC area that read about it on this forum.

MPlayle

A little more progress (no pictures):

Yesterday, I got the front subframe scraped down of grime and ready to degrease and pressure wash, scraped the grime off the steering rack and got the old tie-rod ends off for replacing, got the upper arms scraped as well.

Today, I got the pedal box and gauge pod cleaned off (sanding wheel on a die-grinder works wonders removing the old paint) and sprayed with a coat of primer.

MPlayle

Today's small progress:

The ship with the new body shell is supposed to have docked in the Houston port yesterday.  I'll try to get an update Monday.

The pedal box and gauge pod are now painted.

The front subframe and steering rack have been "degreased and washed".  I'll be giving the front subframe a coat of paint this week.

The axles have been separated from the old drum brake hubs and are ready to put into the disk brake hubs.  Also put the lower radiator mount onto the engine and put on the new motor mount for that side as well.

94touring

Do you intend to de rust that subby? 

MPlayle

Still debating taking it somewhere to be blasted before painting it.

94touring

I wouldn't think it would cost much. 

MiniDave

If you have a nearby engine builder, they can dip it in their hot tank, mine charged $20 and it came out like new metal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'm sure in a city the size of San Antonio there is at least one engine builder, but finding a cooperative one may be another matter.

The shop that will be painting the new shell does sandblasting.  I had them do the bumpers for me.  I'll likely drop by there to see if they will do the subframe as well.

BruceK

So....  the new body shell is based upon the old MK I two bolt subframe mounts rather than the later single bolt?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Bruce,

It is supposed to be based on the early style front subframe.  I'll know for sure in the next week or two.  The ship was supposed to reach Houston on Saturday (10/21).

MPlayle

Sandblasted subframe.  Can I paint it now?

MiniDave

Looks great, get some primer sealer on it quick.......what did it cost you to have that done?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The combined total for it, both bumpers and another small piece was $244.

I plan to primer it tomorrow morning.