67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Progress!

I now have the flywheel housing and flywheel back on.  Pictures below.

I also got up at 3:00 am to call and find out the status on the new body shell.  They are scheduled to resume work on it next week and anticipate another 2 to 3 weeks to complete (barring any more interruptions).  So the sad news is I am likely to not get it before the middle of August.

MPlayle

A bit more progress again today:

- new throw out bearing and plunger installed
- new clutch arm and clevis pin installed
- new motor mount installed
- 'wok' cover back on the flywheel housing

I left the arm stop adjusted in quite a bit to leave the arm loose for now.   Next will be to do a final head torque, final valve adjustment and adjust the clutch arm.  Then put the starter back on, the thermostat in place and the valve cover on.

94touring

Looking good  4.gif

MPlayle

No picture, but a little more progress:

Got the clutch arm stop and plunger stop nuts adjusted, the head torqued one more time and the valves adjusted.  Also mounted the starter and clutch slave cylinder.  I still need to attach the new hydraulic line (going with one of the one-piece braided lines from the master direct to the slave).

I also decided to convert to an alternator in the overall effort, so ordered one from Mini Spares with some other bits.

Does anyone have an old, used and unwanted (can be non-working) voltage regulator box?

I want to cannibalize it for the connections to make a jumper block for the conversion.  My new wiring harness is for the generator setup and will need a jumper block made.  I've made one from an old regulator before as that makes a nice clean arrangement.

MiniDave

I'll bet Dan has one on the 66 Cooper S
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I may have one that has already had the internal modification. I am not sure what shape it is in, as i just put it in a bin when removing the old harness.
I will pull it out today.
Terry

MPlayle

Thanks Terry.  Let me know what you find.

The last time I did such a modification, I cut off the connector block from the rest of a non-working regulator box and soldered heavy jumpers between the appropriate terminals and then epoxied the back to seal it and prevent accidental shorts.  Then I could connect the harness wires in their original order on the block.

I am looking to do much the same again.

tmsmini

It is in pretty bad shape with multiple cracks.

MPlayle

Terry,

If the jumper wires installed to the back are correct and secure, then it will work fine as I intend to "chop" it down to just that portion and fabricate a cover.

PM me with what you would like for it and an address for sending payment.  I'll provide an address for sending it to.

Cheers,
Michael Playle

MPlayle

A bit more done on the 998 engine to make it a bit more complete.

MiniDave

I know you weren't planning to, but I really think you should pop this into your current Moke  and put some miles on it to get it sorted, before you start the marathon job of building up the new body - plus the new shell will be in paint for at least a couple of months, in the meantime you can be enjoying your current one....whadya think?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It has been tempting, but the more I got under the Moke in its current body, the less confident I have become in its structural integrity.

The tail mounts of the front subframe are "secured" with only one of the two bolts (per tail) and those are into remnants of the original floors that do have current floor patches welded to them.

The one front mount of the rear subframe behind the fuel tank (left side) is bolted to a free-hanging remnant of the heel board.  Much of the piece it is supposed to bolt to has rotted away on that side and not been patched to anything.

I have not deeply checked the right side front mount of the rear subframe.

I have been told by a friend following me as I drove it between apartments that it appears to have significant "crabbing" as it goes down the road.  To me it has the feel of body flex as it is driven.

If I did put the 998 into the current body, I would also want to put in the replacement wiring harness - only to have to take it all back out to put in the new body.

Since work has supposedly resumed on the new shell, I have been considering going ahead and beginning to disassemble the current one to refresh/refurbish the subframes.  However, I have been keeping the current shell drivable in order to be able to take it to a couple local paint places for quotes once I know the new shell is on its way to me.

MPlayle

Here are some annotated pictures of the tails of the front subframe.  I don't have a picture of the heel board from when I had the fuel tank bottom protector plate removed.

I know I should have gotten onto Big-Al about this a while back when I first discovered how bad it really is, but I didn't.  I resolved to make it a project to make it right which led to ordering the new shell.  As many such projects, the scope has grown quite a bit.

MiniDave

Ok, I had forgotten how bad it was......good idea tho to have it available to drive to paint shops for a quote - if you feel safe driving it! Maybe get some welding practice in putting some patches in so things can be bolted up, even if only temporarily. I'll be curious to hear what they say for cost to do the whole shell.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I feel safe enough for occasional short drives and hitting up a couple places for quotes.  Just not trusting enough for significant driving.

Those gaps highlighted in the pictures are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  If I could get the bolts out of the subframe, I could probably fab up a spacer block to bolt through for the issues on the tails of the front subframe.  Not sure about the rear subframe mount issues.

MPlayle

No real progress on my end, but an update from the folks at M-Parts in the UK.  They say the new body shell is about 95% completed.  It is "supposed" to go to their paint shop for the undercoating and primer next week.

They are still waiting responses on the shipping quotes.

BruceK

Are they sending you photos of the build?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

They have sent some.  I haven't uploaded and posted them to the forum.

I have begun compiling together and writing a "Restoration" document to tell the story.  I have the pictures included in that "work in progress".

MiniDave

Oooooh, I'd like to read that!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

I've tried to upload it to this reply several times, but the connection times out.  With all of the pictures in the document, it is 11.4MB in size already and that is likely too big to upload as an attachment.

Edit:
I tried uploading it to a new album in the media gallery and it won't upload there either.

I can try emailing the draft to anyone interested in proof-reading it.  It is a "work in progress" document meant for eventual printing into a notebook for display at shows.

MiniDave

I find I have to resize pics if I post more than a couple - I use 600X800.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The pictures are embedded into the MS-Word document (.docx format).

94touring

Pic settings should automatically resize for you.

1.7mb 3200x1700 test upload.

MiniDave

It does resize automatically, but if I try to upload more than a few pics at a time it times out, just like Michael said.

When I resize them it uploads instantly.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Unfortunately, it probably can't resize the ones inside the MS-Word document I was trying to attach.

The site also reported a "Flash" error when I tried to upload the document into a fresh album in the media gallery.

Most of the pictures in the document are already in this thread.  I'll upload the pictures I received of the body build and post into this thread.

This thread is more the journal/blog of the whole effort and includes all of the side commentary provided by you guys.  The document is more a "story book" approach with lots of pictures for setting out at shows.