67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 19, 2016, 11:37:06 AM
New "hybrid" gearbox ordered and confirmed.  New shell ordered as well.

The Moke transformation begins! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Got the old tires dismounted from the rims today.

It turns out the alloys on it may be genuine MiniLites (they use the shafted nuts and flat washers as per the genuine ones at least).  Unfortunately, the previous owner had his detail guy paint the faces of the rims with a silver/gray paint.

I am weighing whether to have them stripped and refinished or offering them for sale and getting something different as replacements.

I had planned on having one of the new tires mounted on the better of two steel 3.5x10 rims (one painted white that came with the Moke - bad paint job, too - or one still in the factory plain painted steel).

The tire shop had no trouble dismounting the tires from the alloy rims, but the one tech really struggled with the steel rims.  He somehow bent the lip of the better (plain painted steel) rim folding a 5" section almost half way towards the center when trying to mount the new tire!  Fortunately, the new tire was not damaged.  That steel rim is trashed.  reconsidering whether I want to try the other - it now has a bunch of nicks on the backside from where that particular tech was having the machine hold the steel rim wrong.  He was trying to have the machine hold the rim from the inside like they do with the alloys and the rim kept popping off the machine.  A more experienced tech showed him the correct way for steel rims (machine holds them from the outside) and that is when he bent the one rim trying to install the tire.  When the same more experienced tech looked at both steel rims, he found they are the style where the tire gets mounted from the backside as well.

MiniDave

Yeah, you have got to know what you're doing with these new  tire machines or you can do some real damage - as you found out, unfortunately - will they be buying you a new wheel? I have a steel one that needs refinishing that I would be happy to donate to the cause. It already has a tire on it but I'm sure it's a million years old.......

I mounted my 13" tires for the racing green Mini and they were a bit of a challenge........however I did pull the 10" off my steel ZTR wheels and they were no issue - but those are at least 6" wide wheels.

I never mount the wheel to the machine from the inside, steel or alloy, those pins can really make some nicks in the rim.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Sorry to hear about the wheel damage - it's not really rocket science to change a tire.  Although most cars these days have alloys instead of steelies, they should still know how to deal with them when encountered. 

Regarding the potential authentic Minilites:  Only the racing versions of the Minilite are magnesium (and they'd be very conspicuous because of their light weight), but I would think that even genuine road-going Minilites should have some sort of markings on them that should help identify them
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

They refunded the labor costs of dismounting 6 tires (4 alloy wheels and 2 steel wheels).  I still have the other steel 3.5x10 for a spare if I stay with the current alloys.  They did offer to try to locate a replacement, but I declined as I already know getting a basic 3.5"x10" steel Mini wheel is difficult and usually means finding someone with one laying around they are willing to sell.

There do not seem to be any markings on the alloys.  They are the MiniLite style and use the same sleeved nuts as listed for the genuine MiniLites.  The reproduction MiniLites definitely have markings and one model even uses the sleeved nuts (most use tapered nuts), but there has been some debate in the past whether the original ones had markings.  These are extremely light rims - lighter than I remember any of the similar 10" ones I've had in the past.  Other than the front faces having been painted with a silver/gray paint, they appear to be in fantastic shape.

I know I can clean up the 3.5"x10" I still have as well as strip and repaint it.  It is getting the paint off the alloys that concerns me.  I checked a price quote at a reputable wheel refinishing place in town - they want $140 per rim to strip, repair as necessary and powder coat.  If I can use a chemical stripper and get just the paint off and return to the original finish, that would be worth trying myself and I may attempt that if I can't find somewhere more reasonable than $140 per rim.

John Gervais

I don't think you'd want ask someone to powder coat them if they're magnesium.

My first set of MSC MiniLife wheels didn't have any markings, but the second set did.  The first set also had a poorer quality paint job  than the second set.  Additionally, the first set had very small gussets on the backside where the spokes met the round.  Both sets use the C-AHT1969 sleeved nuts with tapered washers.

Maybe posting a picture would point to something?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I don't think I'd chemical strip them, I'd have someone shot blast them with glass beads. It leaves a really smooth surface that is easy to paint or clear coat if you prefer.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'll be out of town starting tomorrow (Friday) and won't be back until later Monday.  I'll take some pictures of the cleanest one early next week and post.

The sleeved nuts on mine use flat washers - no taper on the rims.

The barrel of the rims (normally hidden by the tire) seem to have a coating of some sort.

No clue as to the composition of the alloy - magnesium or aluminum.

They do have a nice ring to them when tapped like a bell.

MPlayle

A small update:

I haven't heard back yet on the possible 998 engine and may instead go back to modifying the 850.  I am considering even holding off doing most of the small stuff until after the Spring Drive.  New wheels are ordered versus trying to refinish the MiniLites.  (The MiniLites are listed for sale in the classifieds on this forum.)  I'll put the new tires on the new rims and have the Moke back on the road "as-is" for the drives.  After that time, I can focus more on taking it apart for the restoration versus keeping it roadworthy for the drives.

Being "caregiver" for my mom is taking a lot more time than we had expected.  She is frail and easily experiences setbacks to her overall recovery.  She is 84 and her overall recovery from her own cancer treatments and then dad's passing may just be more limited than any of us foresaw.

MPlayle

I'll be pushing out most f the work on the Moke until after the Spring Drive.  The new wheels are in transit, so it will be back on the road for the drives.  Planning on just adding the seat belts at this point until the fuller restoration effort.

Life and being caregiver for my mom has been taking most of my time.  She has not been doing very well this winter.  Her cancer is in remission, but the toll of the chemo treatments left her frail, topped off with dad's rapid passing in August and all the stress of getting his military, VA , and Social Security benefits and the various financial stuff dealt with has really weakened her.  This week has not been one of her better ones - I am spending the next few nights over to watch over her.  Also been working out arrangements for a new apartment for me that will accommodate both of us so she won't be in her condo alone - that happens mid February.

I've put in a request to one of my brothers for relief for the March drives.  We'll see how it goes.

BruceK

Michael, sounds like you have a lot of important things going on now.  Please let me know if I can help you with anything for the Spring Drive. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Thanks Bruce, I will keep that in mind.  The segment to check/verify is a set of winding back roads from Center Point, TX (outside Comfort) over to Hwy 46 going to Boerne, TX.  If that checks out, I then need to make copies of the route segments and put together into drive packets for handing out.

Lunch stops will be part of each drive and noted in the drive packets.  Breakfasts are open.  Dinners to be determined.  I can make the recommendation that at least one be at the Cowboy Steakhouse in Kerrville.  The owners are family friends and the food is very good and generous.  (Excellent wine list as well.)

BruceK

It's been at least 8 years since I drove around there, but I fondly remember the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg as well as highway 337 out to Leakey.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Part of 337 is on one of the routes.

77.gif

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on January 06, 2017, 12:55:35 PM
Part of 337 is on one of the routes.

Excellent!   

Have you ever been on the Willow City Loop?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Yes.  It has been a while, but I have been on that road.

bryanp

Michael - check your PM.  I've been so busy that I haven't been on the forum for awhile and I missed your PMs asking about the engine!  Sorry! It's yours if you still want it.

MPlayle

I had a friend assist me today to install some seat belts into the Moke.  It proved to be an interesting experience.

This poor Moke has seen much better days.  I knew it had rust repairs done the "basic flat steel panel" method in the floors.  Today's endeavor revealed a bit more on just how bad the floors were at one time.  I am not sure how to describe how bad it must have been and how "quick & dirty" the past repairs are.

There is a cover panel goes under the fuel tank.  I had to try to remove that for checking clearances for drilling a hole to mount the outside half of what will be the driver's seat belt.  They did not recreate the holes in the outer lip of the pontoon for bolts to the captive nuts in the panel on that edge and tried to tack weld the remnants of the brackets on the floor for the tunnel side of the cover plate to secure to.  Since those were iffy at best, they tack welded each of the inner corners to the replacement floor.  Unfortunately the bracket remnants were "Swiss Cheese" rust and the nuts rusted to the studs.  When attempting to move the nuts in either direction, the bracket remnants just tore loose again.  The edges of the cover plate were ragged as well.  Going to have to order a new one of those.

It also looks like the end of the heal board hidden behind the tank is almost gone.  There appear to be remnants where the subframe mounts, but a significant gap from the mount to the inner wall of the pontoon.

I am very glad I have a new shell ordered.

I did not have my camera with me to get a picture.  I will try to remember when I get back to trying to finish the front seat belts.

The current cover plate won't be going back on - nothing to mount it to.

MPlayle

Overdue a slight update:

Regarding the fuel tank protector plate - we worked out bolting some tabs onto the plate and then bolting those to the floor.  I've tried to add a new protector plate to the body order.

I had the Moke almost ready for the Spring Drives when my mom became even more ill and then passed away during the week of the drives.  It is kind of sitting right now.

The bit of "good news": the replacement "hybrid" gearbox is being shipped.  It should be here late in the week or early next week.

MiniDave

Did you wind up getting the 998 from New Mexico?

After that run, seeing how well Dan's worn out 998 did I think it would be a great way to go, the only place the 998 was weak was on long up hill runs, other than that it was as fast as anything else on the run.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Yes, I got the 998 from Bryan in New Mexico.  It is still crated on a pallet in my garage.

The intent is to put the "hybrid" gearbox under the 998, add the freshly rebuilt head I got from 7Ent along with the new carb and factory cast manifold.

I have not yet fully decided if I am going to do much else to the replacement engine at this point.

Still getting myself reoriented from all the family stuff and loss of my mom.

MiniDave

I think that sounds like a good combo, what do you have for carburetion?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It will be a single HS-4 with K&N cone filter.

MPlayle

The new transmission arrived today.   71.gif

BruceK

Isn't it great when the packages arrive?    When do you expect the new body? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S