67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Bruce,

The new top is the UK Moke style.  The frame appears to be the original style as well.

The top came with two webbing straps that seem to be intended to be attached to the frame bows to hold them in place.  The ends of the straps are punched for going over a set of the studs at each end.  There is a slide buckle on one end of each strap as well for tightening the webbing once in place.  The top has reinforcements where the screws holding the straps to the bows should be.

There are three frame bows.  The front two are joined in a 'Y' and have no locking mechanism.  The rear-most bow has a hinge (with lock ring) in the middle of each upright.

The first challenge is getting the bows in position for marking the webbing straps for where they need attached to the frame bows and attaching them.  With the webbing straps attached to the frame, the raising method you described makes good sense.

MPlayle

Some photos "as promised".

MiniDave

Wow! That looks great! You are going to have so much fun with that......

You mentioned a while back about a drive in the hill country, I'd love to do that at some point...I hear the roads are perfect sports car (read:Mini) roads.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The Texas Hill Country roads are indeed fun Mini roads.

I used to do a "Spring Drive" for MOT (Mini Owners of Texas) in different areas of the hill country.  (Bruce knows MOT - he helped found it!)  I still have all of my drive notes and route sheets from each drive.

Do you have an idea of when your spring break might be for considering?

BruceK

Looks like you got yourself a great Moke there, Michael!    Nice to see it has stayed pretty much stock over the past 50 years. 

Quote from: MPlayle on October 14, 2016, 08:54:14 PM
Bruce,

The new top is the UK Moke style.  The frame appears to be the original style as well.

The top came with two webbing straps that seem to be intended to be attached to the frame bows to hold them in place.  The ends of the straps are punched for going over a set of the studs at each end.  There is a slide buckle on one end of each strap as well for tightening the webbing once in place.  The top has reinforcements where the screws holding the straps to the bows should be.

There are three frame bows.  The front two are joined in a 'Y' and have no locking mechanism.  The rear-most bow has a hinge (with lock ring) in the middle of each upright.

The first challenge is getting the bows in position for marking the webbing straps for where they need attached to the frame bows and attaching them.  With the webbing straps attached to the frame, the raising method you described makes good sense.

Yeah, I forgot about the straps and such - it's been 20 years since I had my Moke, so some of the details are fuzzy in my memory.    But I haven't forgotten how much fun they are to own. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

It is mostly stock.  It still has the original 850 engine and "magic wand" shifter.

It has had panel replacement over the years - replacements were done with flat steel rather than the correct panels, but still decent enough as a "daily driver" level.  It does not compare with the Mokes folks on the forum here have recently restored.

It has character and I like it so far.

I will be adding a windshield mounted rear view mirror and replacing the tiny side mirrors soon.

MiniDave

Spring break is March 13-19, is that the rainy season there or is it dry and cool? This year you had rain 13 days out of the month, mostly right in the middle.....is that the norm?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Nice I like it,

If it helps you decide anything when I restored my 60 I wanted to keep mostly like the factory made it. So I kept the 850 and did a mild cam as said above they don't have cam bearings so aggressive lifts are probably not a good idea. It has stock air intake, carb, and exhaust. It pulls fine and goes over most hills in 4th gear at 60 mph. I also live at about 4,800 elevation so I figure it's running great.
It has the early low 3.76 I think gears so about 60mph is as fast as you really want to go its happier at 55. I feel like the engine could pull a taller gear like 3.2 just fine I'm sure you'd have to down shift for the hills but it would cruise better. And with intake, carb, and exhaust to better take advantage of the cam it might really surprise me for an 850 I'll never do that to this car but after going through an 850 they run pretty well. I think most of them are probably about shot that are in cars. I have no idea if its worth it to fix a 850 up unless you want numbers matching all original like me.

On the brakes I replaced everything new with the exception of rebuilding the early bean can. they are single leading and work really well, tried some repeated stops from 60mph and you can still lock them up. I don't think they'd be any good on a race track but for driving they work fine they, do require staying on top of maintenance and regular adjusting.
So your twin leading a step above mine should be great for a DD moke probably just need some attenition.

That's the last of the early transmission so should be what's called B gear internals and is not hard to find parts for and rebuild if needed.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Jeff

MPlayle

Dave,

This year was a bit abnormal as it was a wetter than usual spring.  March can vary quite a bit here.  Some are wet, some are dry.

I'll "pm" you later about some ideas and information on the approach you've used for your drives versus the ones I've done.  Most of the ones I've done were just a single day of driving (arrive Friday, drive Saturday, return home Sunday sort of thing).

Jeff,

Mine is nowhere near a "restored" Moke, more a "survivor-and-driver".  The pictures don't show some of the flaws in the replacement panel work.  For the near term, I plan on keeping it about "as-is".  I have ordered parts to go ahead with the brake upgrade to 7.5" disks.  Also ordered some new tires and a few maintenance things.  I am not considering a "numbers matching" restoration.

I have gathered a bit more information on what may still be possible for modifying the 850 versus replacing with a bigger engine.

Summary of that so far:
A) 850 mods:
Small valve 998 head (with standard rockers) would work as a "stage-2" item; mild cam such as 266 (as you mention) if rebuilding the engine; remainder of "stage-2" for 998 (HS-4 carb on free flow intake & exhaust); would not be able to pull a 3.1 final drive - too tall; might be able to go with a 3.44.
B) Engine swap:
Recommended going to mild street 1275 with 3.44 final in a 4-synchro box modified to use the "magic wand" shifter.

MPlayle

I haven't done much on the Moke yet.  I did get some larger side mirrors and a center rear view mirror.  I have the mirrors installed.

I also ordered a small "truck box" to make a rear cargo box.  I have a small modification to make to add a lock to it (came with a padlock hasp that would not be usable).  Then It will get mounted behind the back seats (tomorrow's project).

I will be taking it on its first outing Saturday to an "All British" show in Boerne.  Since I have not yet done the support straps for the top, I will be going to the show "topless".

MPlayle

An overdue update:

The Moke took 2nd place in class (although there were only 3 classic Minis present).

I now have the top in place.  Not the best fitting, but not too bad.  See pictures below.

I have also begun collecting parts for some of the intended upgrades: assembled front disk brake set, spacers & studs for the rear, various bushings, seat belts, new tires, different muffler, 998 head and HS4 carb, adjustable suspension bits for the front and rear.  I've also been investigating a replacement body to solve the "flat steel" panel replacement issues.  (See photos in my "Moke body issues" album in the forum's 'Media' section.)

Still waiting on the NY paperwork to get cleared up, then the "fun" begins.

MiniDave

Hmmm....I see what you mean about the body issues, still it looks so good from the outside, are they structural issues or just that they bother you when you think about them?

I've had to work hard not to try and make this Racing Green car "perfect", limiting myself to mechanical issues and upgrades and ignoring the body blemishes (of which there are plenty - but I can't see any of them when I'm driving!)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It is a little of both - aesthetics and structure.  In general, the flat panel look is no big deal to me.  However, the long-term structure is more important - I kind of want to keep this one a bit longer.

Some of the patches are over the top of the rusted out old panels (especially the inside of the right side cubbies).  Some of the flat steel floor patches are also starting to show the beginning of more rust issues.  The flat patches blanked off some factory mounting points - one of the steering rack u-bolts is partially covered over (driver's side lower one), the rear tails of the subframe are not bolted to anything - their mounting points were lost to flat steel panels, the factory seatbelt locations are gone.

The consideration of a replacement shell from M-Parts in the UK is to set a lot of those issues right.  A whole fresh shell would be much easier (and probably cheaper) than replacing just the various panels.

The current shell is reasonably solid.  I would keep it intact as the platform for the other mechanical upgrades until late spring next year (lead time for a new shell).  That will let me have the mechanical upgrades sorted for the Spring Drive before undertaking a swap of body shells.

John Gervais

Wow, I would have never guessed by looking at it as it sits right now.  Still think it looks pretty sharp, if not possibly too clean...
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on November 11, 2016, 05:41:22 PM
Wow, I would have never guessed by looking at it as it sits right now.  Still think it looks pretty sharp, if not possibly too clean...

Yeah, my thoughts too.   I was getting all nostalgic about my old Moke just looking at it.  A new body seems like a drastic step.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Don't get me wrong, it is quite solid as it is and does look nice.  I could easily just enjoy it as it is for quite some time.  The new body shell approach is thinking for the long term.

MiniDave

To shell, or not to shell.......that is the question!   ;D

Would you get your investment back if you re-shelled it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

With the way most Moke prices have been going lately, I would come pretty close to getting my investment back if not over.

MiniDave

But your labor is "free"?

Would that include all the paintwork and new parts, since you won't want to put tired old parts like suspension back on a bright shiny new shell....wiring etc?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Yes, my labor would be "free".

A rough estimate of new shell and the other refurb costs (many parts already purchased and the remaining estimated) puts the new-shell-refurb at about $28K to $30K (including original purchase).

Comparing the current prices of nicely finished Mokes (especially UK ones - going for $26K+) puts it still under question.

There will come a time when the current body patches are going to have to be redone.  Replacing individual panels (floors, panniers/pontoons, etc.) will be more involved.  I figure it as planning ahead and attempting to take advantage of a decent exchange rate.

94touring

If you need it painted send it my way! 

MPlayle

Dan,

That thought had also crossed my mind.

77.gif

MPlayle

The paperwork for my Moke is finally in San Antonio.  I missed the delivery today and have to pick it up at the post office tomorrow.  Hopefully, it is correct and I can get the title and registration done and move forward with plans for the Moke.

MPlayle

Paperwork submitted through the tax office today.  They said everything looks okay, gave me the temporary tag while the "Classic" plates are printed (should arrive in about a week) and said the title should arrive in about 2 weeks.

Now I can move forward with plans for the Moke.

Time to decide whether to just "liven up" the existing 850 or work out an engine upgrade of some sort (998 or 1275).  The trick is going to be keeping the "magic wand" shifter.

I will also be ordering a new body shell to solve the issues from past flat-steel body repairs that are aging poorly.

I'll post the current ideas and see what folks have to say here in the next day or two.  Then it will be the challenge to stick with a plan and not get distracted.

MiniDave

Then it will be the challenge to stick with a plan and not get distracted.

77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad