67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Pictures of the new Moke body being built.

94touring

Sorry to interrupt again but was looking and docx is an acceptable file to upload.  I will have to test large files to see where it may get hung up. This one was about 3mb.

.docx file link
[smg id=2398 type=av]

MPlayle

I tried my 11.4MB file again and I still get a "Connection was reset" timeout error.

So somewhere between 3MB and 11.4MB is a bottleneck.

I'll just try emailing it to anyone interested.

94touring

When I get some time at home I'll test from my computer to figure it out.  File size limits are set pretty high though.

MPlayle

I got an update from M-Parts (the UK supplier for the body shell).  The new shell is back from the painter and the shipping crate is being assembled.

I am supposed to get some pictures of the finished shell and crating in the next day or so.

MiniDave

Cool, more progress.....how are they having you pay for this, in chunks or all at once?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I paid for the shell all at once back in December 2016 when I ordered it.  I asked if I could do so to take advantage of the exchange rate (which has since remained low) and they permitted it.  It was not their usual policy.  They prefer a deposit and final payment upon completion.

I'm waiting for the shipping invoice to pay that as last December was way too early for that component of the purchase.

BruceK

It used to be possible to fill up a Mini being shipped RORO from the UK to the US with all sorts of spare parts and merchandise and effectively get 'free' shipping on those goodies.  That went away with 9-11 and now nothing can be placed in the RORO car. 

But... since your Moke body is technically 'parts', I wonder if you could add other stuff to the crate if you wanted to?  Might be a cheap way to get some bulky items imported without paying separate air freight charges.   Just a thought...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

At one point they mentioned adding other parts to the shipment as well.

I already have a lot of the bits I planned as upgrades and am intending to reuse as much as I can from the current body and mechanicals.

BruceK

You could even import things you don't need but could sell to other Mini owners such as wheel/tire combinations.  They probably fit nicely under that empty engine compartment.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

If not in a container I'd be worried about stuff being "acquired" off the docks.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It is supposed to be coming in a crate.  They were supposed to send pictures this past week, but apparently forgot.  I'll send a reminder request tonight or tomorrow morning.

On another note, took the Moke out for a drive to lunch today.  I had to tap the lid of the float to free it and get the fuel flowing from it sitting a while.  It was running fine most of the way to lunch.  Waiting to right-turn-on-red, I had just put it in first and started to rest on the clutch as a car passed so I could turn.  As I began to accelerate for my turn, the exhaust tone suddenly changed and got louder and deeper.  Turns out I blew the pipe apart under the center of the car.

I went ahead to lunch and picking up some groceries on the way back.

I had intended on changing the rear muffler portion during the "restoration".  Now it looks to be the whole system will get changed.

gr8kornholio

Similar incident recently with my 85 yota pickup.  Started it one morning and thought, dang this thing got kind of throaty.  Separated at the input to the muffler.  Pipe was still in it, but it was coming loose.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

There is normally not a joint in that location where mine broke apart.  The picture came out a bit fuzzy, so it is hard to see the ragged edges where it broke.  I may crawl under tomorrow to check it further and see if it might be worth bothering to fix for a short while before the major work begins and I order something to replace it.

MPlayle

Finally got some pictures of the completed shell.

Still waiting for it to be crated and shipped.  That was supposed to happen two weeks ago and is now supposed to happen next week.

94touring

BruceK

Nice progress.  Do they also supply other unique Moke parts such as the speedo surround, windshield frame, top bows, grab handles, seats, and bumpers?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

They do supply almost all of the other unique Moke parts.  I have seen all of the parts you listed on their website.  Their seats I believe are fiberglass reproductions.

They have parts for UK Mokes, Australian Mokes, Portuguese Mokes and the Cagiva Mokes.

BruceK

nice to have a 1-stop supplier.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

M-Parts has most everything.

Supposedly, there is another outfit in the UK that also has almost everything for Mokes.  I forget the second company's name.

MPlayle

Body has not yet shipped - still sorting paperwork for invoicing.

I decided to go ahead and begin stripping the side panels of the old paint to prepare them for being repainted along with the shell after it arrives.  I decided to try using one of the chemical strippers as they are easier to clean up from when living in an apartment.  Below are some pictures from doing one side of two of the side panels.

I also got in one of the later removable grills.  I plan on modifying the front panel by removing the slats and using the removable grill instead - in order to have easier maintenance access to the oil filter and distributor.

Getting ready:

One panel after first treatment - left on only a few minutes.

Same panel after second treatment (third treatment in progress):

First panel after a third treatment, second panel after one longer treatment:

Both panels after another couple of longer treatments with a brief cleaning using water and a "brillo" pad.  I'll do at least one more treatment on that side of each panel to try getting the rest of the original red primer off.  Then I'll do the back sides.  This is after about 1.5 hours of effort.

The new grill - unfinished.  It will get painted black to provide a bit of contrast to the bright white.

BruceK

Good progress.  The removable grille came later, an improvement made for the Oz Mokes.  So not usually on an English version.    But I'm sure it's invaluable for gaining access to the points, oil filter, etc.     I still remember struggling with those fun jobs on my '66 Moke that had a fixed grille. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Progress report time:

The new shell is now in the shipping process.  It was crated last week and picked up for transport to the UK docks the beginning of this week.

A bit more progress on stripping the side panels.  I finished the first two and gave them a coat of primer (although I gummed up a spot on one that I will need to sand down and touch up once fully dried).  I got the top side of two more stripped.  I have the backside of those two to do and then the last side panel to strip.  The side panels will be painted white along with the new body shell.

I put a coat of primer on the back side of the new removable grill.

I also got loose all of the passenger grab handles.  I had to use my sawzall to go under the rear two to cut the bolts.  The handles got only a little damage under the bolt tabs, but are good to reuse.  They will also get paint stripped and refinished.  I am considering doing them in black to provide accenting to the white body.

MPlayle

A bit more progress on the side panel covers.  I have all of them in primer now.  I just have to smooth the front of the last one.  I also have to replace two of the DZUS fasteners on the small oval cover that goes above the battery.  Both the original ones were partly broken.

I stripped, primered and painted the spare tire holder and gas cap.  They came out satisfactory.  I also got the grab handles stripped and coated in primer.  They will get painted black as well.

I got the grill fully primered and painted black.  The back turned out satisfactory, but I need to sand and respray the front - it got some irregularities in the surface as the first coat of black dried.

I also removed the rear bumper.  I am going to pull the front bumper and then sand and paint both bumpers to matching black with the grab handles and gas cap.  Going with a white with black accents theme.

jedduh01

Nice progress! Can really tell you're itching to really get moving on it! Now it only hast to float to you!

FYI for your rear lamps= Factory 'reflectors' are from the Healey Parts bin.  -100 Healey Rear reflectors

https://mossmotors.com/reflector-assembly

My personal opinion = no need to cut out the original grille = The entire assembly is still very serviceable with the grille in place. Oil changes + Distributor + starter work may be the only 'low ' grille items that cause a headache.

M-Parts also sells Factory Phillips bolts for your grab handles + and Dzus Fastener kits plust  have the locking spring that goes in the body for the side panels dzus fastener

http://www.m-parts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177&search=grab+handle

http://www.m-parts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_43&product_id=342

http://www.m-parts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_43&product_id=554