67 MK-II Moke

Started by MPlayle, October 02, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Best way to do that, put a couple of 2X4's on the floor, heat the bearing area from the back with a propane torch as hot as it will go, pick up the housing and bang it on the wood, the bearing should pop right out. Be sure to cool the housing before you pick it up again! 
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Interesting.  The manuals I have explicitly say to not use direct flame on the alloy.

The get the outer race for the input shaft bearing out, I heated the housing in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 350*, then did "bang it" on the floor of the garage.  It slipped far enough out for getting the puller I have (from Autozone) under the edges and then used the puller to finish the job.  I figured on trying the same for the idler bearing.

MPlayle

The idler gear support bearing in the flywheel housing is been a B**ch to remove.  I've tried the heat&bang method several times (heat in the oven as well as using a 1500W heat gun) and it does not budge.

I even bought one of these at Harbor Freight and it won't budge:

I'm going to try chilling it with letting an ice pack sit over the bearing for a while before heating it in the oven and trying the slide hammer again.

MiniDave

The problem with heating it in the oven is that all the parts expand together.....if you take a cold part, and heat it only around the bearing area from the other side it will release.....but you need to heat it with propane, a hair dryer won't do it - it heats too gradually.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: MPlayle on June 05, 2017, 01:03:25 PM

I even bought one of these at Harbor Freight and it won't budge:

I'm going to try chilling it with letting an ice pack sit over the bearing for a while before heating it in the oven and trying the slide hammer again.

YES tool is the ONLY way i have been able to remove 2 or 3 so far .. never any luck with heat..

I put down a pad on the ground = Stand on the housing and slam the hammer up.. Its not pretty but is what has been required.

Goodluck

MiniDave

I couldn't get it out with my slide hammer, I went to the auto parts store and borrowed theirs, it had a much heavier hammer than mine and that got it out.

I used my Workmate to hold the housing, and used the slide hammer sideways rather than up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Success!!!

The combination of using ice to chill it slightly before baking and the slide hammer (standing on the housing as per jedduh01 - no workmate) got it out.

The baking in the oven is supposed to work "reasonably" well as the dis-similar metals expand at different rates - the alloy case supposedly faster than the steel bearing/race.  The method worked well enough on the race for the input shaft bearing, but would not do anything for the idler gear bearing.

With them both out, I can finish preparing the flywheel housing for the new bearings to go with the new transmission.  I just have to wait on the parts from Mini Spares.

MiniDave

Excellent! Glad you got it out OK. Add another tool to the toolbox!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Got an update on the expected completion date for the new shell - it now looks to be near the end of June for completion.   :(    11.gif

At least I should be into the next apartment by then. 

BruceK

That will be an exciting day when that large package arrives! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Wonder how they will unload it and get it up to the garage?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Probably much like the pallet with the 998 engine: hand operated forklift.  I'll have some small 1000 pound capacity furniture dollies to put the crate on for shoving around to start.

I may make a frame to attach to the dollies and make them all one unit.  Since I'm going to be dismantling from one shell and assembling onto the other, I may actually need to make two.   8.gif

BruceK

I probably missed it if you said so, but will it arrive painted?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

It will arrive in primer.

I have a few minor "mods" to some mounting points to make before it gets painted: moving the rear seats forward to make room for the truck box requires a fresh set of holes for the rearmost set of bolts, bolt holes for mounting the truck box itself, mounting holes in the rear panel for the 5 gal "jerry can" accessory.

94touring

I'm curious if the primer is good or the stuff that tends to peel easily.

MPlayle

I have no idea.  How would I be able to tell once it gets here?

94touring

Hit it with a pressure washer or try putting tape on it and pulling the tape off.

MPlayle

I don't have a pressure washer, but I do have the blue "painter's" masking tape.  I'll try that when it finally arrives.

jedduh01

For Shell  = movement and work == I highly recommend a Large Oversize Pallet  + 3' castered wheels.
Pallet = cheap - free

Wheels= easy

Strong + durable to stand on . work on= flip on everything.

Cant wait to see.

My pallet build has now moved along to Mr Howell for his current Vtec Mini Rebuild as seen on here!

Cant wait to see!

MPlayle

Something like your pallet idea was what I had in mind using the small furniture dollies at each corner.  Something I could readily dismantle when done.

I already have 4 of the small dollies from previously when I had the green Mini Van in the same garage as a Miata.

94touring

For bare shells a pallet with 4 casters with brakes is the way to go.

jedduh01

If i remember correctly = I took the casters OFF of a cheap HF Dolley...  and they were what went on my big ole pallet= No Problems....no locking= but 2 swiveled = in place   the assembly stayed in place just fine.

12$ HF Dolley s complete are even cheaper than single wheels sold per wheel .  part it out!

MPlayle

I have one of the currently $12 larger ones with some extra slats added as an "engine dolly" and 4 of the slightly smaller (currently $11) ones that I used as "wheel dollies" for the green Mini Van.

MPlayle

Still waiting on the parts from Mini Spares.  Supposedly coming DHL "courier express", but no tracking number was given with the invoice confirmation email.  Not at my PO Box as of 1:30 this afternoon.

I really want to button up the engine before I move apartments.

I need to post some of the "core" parts for sale as well.

MiniDave

I get constant updates from DHL, and they usually deliver a day before their initial projected delivery date.......don't know if that's just due to the local office's policy and your office works differently or what, but I get incredibly good service from MS on DHL.

My customer ordered some parts I needed for his car and was flabbergasted how quickly they were delivered to me. Of course, I AM on a first name basis with my DHL driver, due to the frequency of his visits!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad