Pretty excited to finally get an old watch restored...

Started by Jims5543, September 10, 2016, 06:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Yea, I love those watches, been dropping hints to the misses. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I don't see the attraction in these.....they're just a plain wind up watch, why not buy a Timex or Seiko for $25 if you just want a plain looking watch instead of paying $200-400 for one of these?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Because it is a custom made quality watch?

Why drive a Mini when a Toyota Yaris will do for much less and require much less maintenance?

Why buy a 60K Audi when you could have gotten a used Jeep Wrangler?

Because a Times and a Seiko are boring like a Wranger and a Yaris.

MiniDave

The difference in your example is not in the quality or manufacture, it's in the use - an Audi drives differently than a Yaris - but a watch just does one thing, so unless you're after looks, the Timex or Seiko does exactly the same thing as these do - you can't really see or feel the quality of manufacture in a watch, you can only see it in it's performance or it's looks.

To me these are very plain looking watches - and I'm not talking about gold fittings or diamond incrustations when I talk about plain vs not plain, but more the face and bezel design.

Obviously everyone has their own style preference, but I'm having a hard time seeing the value in these.

I do like the location of the winder, I assume it won't poke you in the wrist like the ones in the middle do when you bend your wrist back hard.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I get it, you are not a watch guy.

Trying to explain this to you is like trying to explain to a non car guy why an Audi is a nicer car than a Toyota. Both have wheels both drive on the same roads at the same speed and go from point A to point B just the same. The smart person would buy the Toyota and drive it for 20 years and never piss a dime away on cars beyond the appliance use of them.

I have a nice little collection of watches. My cheap watch is this Maratac I wear it like a Timex. I used to wear my Rolex like a Timex too but learned that is too expensive to do when maintenance time comes along. It now resides in the safe and worn on rare occasions.

I will hand this collection down to my sons, sum total of the lot of them exceeds the cost of a classic Mini.  My kids can decide to keep or sell them, pretty much every one of these watches will go up in value over time. They will always be worth more than I paid for them.

I am small potatoes though, go see some of the watches cats have on Bimmerforums.  I remember really liking one guys watch and looking to buy one. It was a 25K watch!!  A little too much for my blood.  I never questioned WHY would he buy a 25K watch, I was impressed he could buy a 25K watch.  My collection all put together might approach that price, I have been adding to it over 30 years.  Some of the watches started their life out being pretty low in price but have become collectible. In a couple of cases I was able to grab good deals on watches I know are going to fetch a premium price in years to come.

Willie_B

I have added to my older/vintage Seiko collection over the last several years. It suprises me what the value of a couple of them are now. More than I would want to pay. But I bought them to wear them and I do. Only bought 2 new watches, both from small independent companies.

Jims5543

BTW - the watch this thread was started over was a $100 watch back in the early 70's when my grandfather bought it for me. Today that $100 is more like spending $600.

That $100 watch is worth from $3,000 to $6,000 now depending on condition.

A early 70's Timex may be worth $100-$150 today.

I think the Maratac with be worth a decent amount 30 years from now. They are not a hugely mass produced watch.

Do you see the difference now?

MiniDave

I understand way more than you give me credit for.....I own two Rolexs......but I never wear either of them anymore now that I'm retired except for special evenings out.

My point on this particular watch is that it's very plain looking and uninspiring - to me....that is why I don't see the value.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on April 05, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
I understand way more than you give me credit for.....I own two Rolexs......but I never wear either of them anymore now that I'm retired except for special evenings out.

My point on this particular watch is that it's very plain looking and uninspiring - to me....that is why I don't see the value.

Different strokes for different folks.

I like the simplicity of it and at $200 I think it is a good deal.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 05, 2017, 12:59:32 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

I like the simplicity of it and at $200 I think it is a good deal.

Absolutely......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 05, 2017, 11:59:05 AM
I get it, you are not a watch guy.

I am small potatoes though, go see some of the watches cats have on Bimmerforums.  I remember really liking one guys watch and looking to buy one. It was a 25K watch!!  A little too much for my blood.  I never questioned WHY would he buy a 25K watch, I was impressed he could buy a 25K watch.  My collection all put together might approach that price, I have been adding to it over 30 years.  Some of the watches started their life out being pretty low in price but have become collectible. In a couple of cases I was able to grab good deals on watches I know are going to fetch a premium price in years to come.

You should try the pocket watch forums someday, if you really want to see some insane collections.  I'm expecting delivery of 2 new ones - a pretty much brand 'new' 1946 Hamilton 992B 16s 21j, 'Boxcar' dial in a model A case, and an Elgin B.W. Raymond 571 from 1953 - 23j and adjusted for 9 positions.  True, I can't afford them, but might soon add a 23j Waltham Vanguard.  I just missed out on a really mint Illinois 'Bunn Special' - bummer ...
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

No I missed the point of your initial post and get it now that I am sitting here relaxed having my morning coffee.

I own that watch, a couple of people said they liked that watch. I saw it went on sale and shared.  I do not think it is a $400 watch, I do think it is a great $200 watch.

I initially thought you posted an exclamation about how you did not understand why anyone would buy a watch more expensive than a Timex. I was at work I read it fast, because I need to get back to work and concentrate on important shit. Shit that helps me pay for nice watches.

I was wrong your post was intended to just shit on that watch. So what I did was waste time defending my hobby when that was not the issue here at all, you just could not help yourself and wanted to shit on the watch I own.

I missed that yesterday I understand now.  I am sorry you feel that way.

Quote from: John Gervais on April 05, 2017, 01:54:45 PM
You should try the pocket watch forums someday, if you really want to see some insane collections.  I'm expecting delivery of 2 new ones - a pretty much brand 'new' 1946 Hamilton 992B 16s 21j, 'Boxcar' dial in a model A case, and an Elgin B.W. Raymond 571 from 1953 - 23j and adjusted for 9 positions.  True, I can't afford them, but might soon add a 23j Waltham Vanguard.  I just missed out on a really mint Illinois 'Bunn Special' - bummer ...

I have looked at pocket watches in the past, I have seen some really stunning examples. A good friend of mine just inherited a 1920's pocket watch from his dad and it is really nice. I think I will stay a few steps back from that slope, it looks really slippery. ;D

Oh and when you get those beauties, please share some pics of them.

This is the watch my friend inherited. It is a 1922 Illinois.

94touring

I'm not in the know when it comes to watches but here's what I wear.  I've had it a solid 4 years now.  Initially saw wood watches in a magazine while flying around and thought wow that's cool as hell, plus when I go through security I won't need to take it off!  It has turned into a pretty big conversation piece when I wear it, which is always cause I feel naked without a watch.  Before wearing it I had no idea people were as into watches as they are.  I'd like to have a few different styles but haven't gotten around to it yet.

94touring

MiniDave

Jim, I did not shit on your watch - what I did was express an opinion.....I didn't say it was a bad watch or that you were somehow bad for buying one. What I said clearly was that it didn't do anything for me.....that's all. I mentioned my Rollies only to show that I understand the appeal of fine things, but not everything appeals to everyone. Some people think a Rolex is an overpriced piece of junk that won't even keep time.......I don't share that opinion.

I do not understand why when someone expresses an opinion contrary to you, you take it personally and become offended, but at no time was I attacking your choice.....I simply said I did not get the appeal of that style of watch.

However, I will continue to express my opinion on various and sundry matters, so you'll have to find a way to deal with it and realize that not everyone will share your passions - and that it's OK. We can have contrary opinions and still remain friends, after all variety is what makes life interesting, isn't it?

I also don't understand why you drink so much, but I stay completely out of those discussions as my opinion doesn't count there and clearly it's none of my bidness.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Actually Jim goes dry often!  I know real drinkers, Jim isn't one.  Jen and I frequent micro brews and a local bar with 300+ beers because we love the craft.  Of course we have our "cheers" we go to as well, but that's a social thing. Back to watches...

MiniDave

And again, I'm offering no opinion as to his or anyone else's drinking. Saying I don't understand something doesn't mean I disapprove.......it just means I don't get it.

But I agree....enough of this.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on April 06, 2017, 08:10:19 AM
Jim, I did not shit on your watch - what I did was express an opinion.....I didn't say it was a bad watch or that you were somehow bad for buying one. What I said clearly was that it didn't do anything for me.....that's all. I mentioned my Rollies only to show that I understand the appeal of fine things, but not everything appeals to everyone. Some people think a Rolex is an overpriced piece of junk that won't even keep time.......I don't share that opinion.

I do not understand why when someone expresses an opinion contrary to you, you take it personally and become offended, but at no time was I attacking your choice.....I simply said I did not get the appeal of that style of watch.

However, I will continue to express my opinion on various and sundry matters, so you'll have to find a way to deal with it and realize that not everyone will share your passions - and that it's OK. We can have contrary opinions and still remain friends, after all variety is what makes life interesting, isn't it?

I also don't understand why you drink so much, but I stay completely out of those discussions as my opinion doesn't count there and clearly it's none of my bidness.

... and yet you cannot control yourself and need to imply I have a drinking problem by pondering something that is none of your fucking business. I do not drink as much it may appear I do, you are talking out your ass now and it is a dick move to imply otherwise.

You did not get the appeal of that watch, I get it, yet you HAD to make sure you posted and told me that.  You posted a watch I would not be caught dead wearing, I put a polite response regarding it.  I do not get the appeal, except, in my mind I understand different people like different things and never questioned it nor did I feel a need to tell you that.

See the difference?  Probably not.

If you want to be a dick go right ahead. I though you were being rude and if you are proud of that and think that is your style then knock yourself out.

MiniDave

The only one being a dick n this conversation is you.

At no time have I implied anything - I state it - the watch I posted was a joke pic, just like the two above it.

I made a comment about your drinking because you post in the drunk thread about all the stuff you buy and drink.

I'm trying to ease out of this conversation but you keep amping it up - I'm done with this thread, you can post all the watches you like and I will have nothing further to say about them. Your opinions are clearly the only ones that matter.

We bow to your obvious better taste in such matters.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That Illinois looks exactly like the one that I really wanted but couldn't quite get.  Really nice watch.   77.gif

Here are a couple o'pics of the pocket watches I bought from a popular online auction website - I don't expect the watches to arrive for another couple o'weeks.

I had to buy some chains as well, so yeah, I'm stopping here.

My wristwatches are here as well:

First, the daily driver Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red.

Second, the Omega Seamaster Chronograph Chronometer.

Third, the 1953 Elgin B. W. Raymond (photo from the web).

Forth, the 1946 Hamilton (photo from the web).

- Pave the Bay -