Pretty excited to finally get an old watch restored...

Started by Jims5543, September 10, 2016, 06:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

If anyone wants a watch here is a 15% discount code:

https://www.watches.com/watches/?redeem=5892950f54ee0900181e123d

47KP-0LRJ-75FT
EXPIRES: SUN MAR 19 2017 02:10:49 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Just enter this coupon code at checkout. Only one coupon can be applied per order.

I only got 10% off so this is a good deal Wish I had it for my purchase.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Willie_B

You act like it's a bad thing. That is a cool looking watch.
Watches are the only jewelry most men wear so you need several to chose from.

Jims5543

I did not need another watch, stupid me, I follow a couple of cool watch websites on Instagram, this one spoke to me.

I agree men do not wear jewelry or buy purses or fancy shoes or really outfits. Watches, guns, cars and booze that is what we buy.

MiniDave

This one's been whispering in my ear a bit......$30

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 02, 2017, 03:09:01 PM

Whoa.   

I really shouldn't ask you any details about that.  Nope.  I shouldn't. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on February 02, 2017, 03:09:01 PM

It does have quite a unique face.  Since Bruce won't ask, I will.  What make/model is that watch and where did you find it?

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

That speedo watch showed up in my Instagram feed last week.  Looks interesting.

I received my CT Scuderia last week and love it more in person. Already had a few compliments on it out and about. The oversize leather Nato band is nice but a tad too long for my wrist. I ordered a cheap regular leather band off Amazon but this watch needs to be on a Nato band.  I ordered a CT Scuderia cloth band that was only $40 and I will not feel bad if I have to trim it down to fit me better. I could not bear to tear up the leather one, it was too nice, I put it in the box the watch came in for prosperity if I ever want to sell it off one day.

Being of Italian decent and loving motor sports, I am loving this watch, it might be my favorite to wear right now, which means the vintage Heuer is getting a break for a while.

John Gervais

As an alternative to Amazon, I've ordered several Nato straps from this company - http://natostrapco.com/.

The quality is tops, with frequent special deals and quick turn-a-round. 
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Quote from: John Gervais on February 15, 2017, 03:59:28 PM
As an alternative to Amazon, I've ordered several Nato straps from this company - http://natostrapco.com/.

The quality is tops, with frequent special deals and quick turn-a-round.

Bookmarked!! Thank you! That is an awesome site.

I got the new band in this week, much more comfortable than the thick leather band. I am in the office tomorrow, looking forward to wearing it all day.

John Gervais

I used to wear leather straps, but didn't know any better.  Every summer, they'd start to smell bad and I'd replace them.  Now, with a few nylon Nato straps at my disposal, it's a simple matter of washing one while wearing another.  I've been eyeballing the Gulf Racing straps for a while now...

My preference is the thicker Nato XII straps - you'll find the FAQ page helpful. 

Here's a picture of possibly the best bargain watch I've ever owned; the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red on a Nato Strap Co. strap.

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

I am loving this cloth band. being as how you can change out a Nato band so fast I did order 2 from the website you linked.  both leather for when I want to wear out in the evening or weekends.

Going to revisit them for another watch I have. BTW - that Steinhart is a nice watch. Here is a cool wind up that is reasonable too if you are interested. It is called a Maratac watch.

Prices spiked upwards slightly they used to be $300 watches.

I was able to grab a couple of red accented watches, a good customer ordered 50 of them, minimum run was 100 so they sold off the other 50. So I have a 1 in 100 watch, I gifted the other one.

I want to grab a couple of nice Nato bands for this one too. I tend to wear this one a lot outside so some nice cloth bands would be nice.

Jims5543

John you inspired me to put my Cloth Nato band back on, I am wearing the Maartac to work Monday.

Supposed to be going out this evening, looking like that is a bust, Mrs5543 totally knackered from a hectic week, and I am on board with being lazy this evening.  I was going to wear the TS Scuderia but it looks like ham sandwich and beers for dinner at home now.

Time to take a shower and crash. I have a ton of drafting to work on, plus I am taking the 13 y/o out to work with me tomorrow, I have to get a head start on next week. So I can take off.

John Gervais

The Maratac looks pretty 'clean' in its design styling - very nice indeed!   77.gif 

Limited edition is always cool... 
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Crap I thought I linked the website.

Here is where you can get them although through a google search I saw Amazon may carry them too going to investigate.

This website is bad news it is very manly and has a lot off cool stuff on it.

https://countycomm.com/collections/mechanical-watches

Jims5543

Dangit!! Started looking around on there, had not been on there in ages. I see trouble...

Found a simpler version of my watch for much cheaper.

https://countycomm.com/collections/whats-new/products/red-crown-mid-swiss-quartz-pilot-watch-central-second-by-maratac

BruceK

Nice watches.  I'm fond of the NATO strap in the black and gray -  007 style.  I've got one of those too.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on February 25, 2017, 12:57:07 PM
Nice watches.  I'm fond of the NATO strap in the black and gray -  007 style.  I've got one of those too.

Both really nice watches that would catch my eye if I saw them out in the wild.

I like that nato band, good taste.

I received my leather nato bands for my CT Scuderia I trimmed them and tried them, I like. It will be on my wrist tomorrow when I leave for Utah.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on March 28, 2017, 10:58:32 AM
https://www.watches.com/rec-mark-i-m1-brown-silver-watch/

"...with dials made directly from salvaged chassis parts of the iconic [Mini]".   Huh?   I'd like to learn more about that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Those Mini watches almost put them out of Business.  Typical Mini owner says that is too much money for a watch.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=670.0

I have a Minimalist from them and love it.  Loved how it came with a title and story about the donor car.

I was so impressed when they released a Kickstarted campaign for the P51 (Classic Mustang) watch I ordered one as a gift for my Dad who is a Mustang fanatic. They struck gold with the P51 line, no longer was it, that is too much money it was TAKE MY MONEY!!

Now they are releasing another kickstarter deal for a Porsche 911 watch.  I am curious to see how that does, I may buy 2 on kickstarter and sell one off for a profit after the watch releases at full price.

BruceK

Jim, thanks very much for the explanation and the link to the previous thread on this subject.  Very cool how they used a real Mini !!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S