Classic wanted

Started by daffodildeb, September 07, 2016, 03:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffodildeb

I'm looking for a classic mini in good driver condition.  Doesn't have to be a show car, but I don't want a project.  Prefer LHD, any color; condition more important than age.  Legal import, please--no reVINs.

Alternatively, I'm looking for people in Florida who might be able to look at and drive cars I've seen in ads.  I'd rather have someone give their opinion of a car before I commit to a long-distance purchase, and I'm willing to compensate for time spent.  I'm NOT a dealer, and NOT looking to flip.  I just want to give a good home to a car that will be quite happy to run through the Arkansas twisties!

Jims5543

Welcome to Restoration Mini. Guys, I sent daffodideb here from another forum that was killed by Facebook.

I figured there would be a bit more action here and info to help with a purchase. 

I am in Florida but I am far from an expert, I can go take detailed pics shoot video and share here for discussion if needed. If you see anything from West Palm Beach to Palm Bay on the East coast of Florida I may be able to help. Free time for me is hard to come by but I will do my best. No compensation necessary.

jim
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Hi Deb, I responded to your post on another forum, good luck with your search....did you find a good Craigslist search engine? That's how my friends have all found their cars.

Hope you get something soon as I organize classic only Mini fun runs down your way just about every year (last one we based out of Harrison), would love to have you join us on our next one in the spring!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Deb,
You would do well in contacting Malcolm Ward in Orlando 407-432-6337.
He knows minis. Worked for S.U.
Regards
Joe 77.gif

BruceK

So... did Deb find a Mini?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

She did actually, she bought one out of Florida IIRC. She posted about it on NAM.....

Thanks for popping this up again, I'm putting a run together for early Oct and I'll make sure to invite her/hubby.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Albannach

Am bringing a 1992 Rover Mini, Jap Spec, into USA in September this year.  It's Black with Silver Roof, almost new Yoko tyres. AC, and NEW Walnut Dash with 3 Clocks. 1275 engine, Box is smooth as silk. Went to IMM in Westport with it this year and it behaved perfectly. Its almost 500 miles to Southampton, and I've complete confidence this car will make it easily.....towing a 300kgs Trailer. I'll be over in mid November and it will be sold with a Clear Florida Title.   GENUINE 1992 Mini...no Hanky Panky with Vin Numbers.  $10,500.
Send email address and I'll take some photos.
Guido, and Malcolm,(Malsal) seen this car in Eire.

MiniDave

Hey Albannach, so you're not going to keep it?

I saw your thread on TMF about the car, where you were looking for vin verification? Did you get that sorted too?

Is this car an SPi?

Manual or automatic?

A/C?

Most Jap spec cars were auto with A/C......

Post up some pics?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Albannach

It's a crazy situation when you have a GENUINE 1992 car, and you worry CBP might not accept it.
They got the Land Rover fiasco totally wrong, and I don't want any delay in it clearing.

All the usual age related items are there. Things that Mini people know relate to a specific cars age.
It has the External Hood opener, which was abandoned in early 1992. Boot handle stamp, opening rear Windows. The early AC with the Vents UNDER the dash on the passenger side.
I have too many Minis(5 saloons and a Pickup)and Tons of Spares at home, and I'm not getting ay younger.
It's raining like hell here this morning, and I'm just about to leave for the Airport, as Benidorm beckons.....so I'll post some photos when I return home. Jim 

Car is a VERY early Spi, Manual with Minilites.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Albannach

No, that is not my car.  Mine came in a container from Osaka, around summer 2015.

Albannach

Tried to post photos, now I'm back home. However I'm damned if I can work out how to post them on this thread. I have added 4 of the car on my Profile page.
If more needed, then email me with your email address.  Jim

Willie_B

4.gif

Albannach

Thanks Willie_B....posted a few more if you want to update them for me. Jim    4.gif

Willie_B

BruceK

Nice looking Mini!   How is the body?  Any rust issues? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I have seen this car up close it is clean and tidy and in really nice shape. I followed Jim in it in Scotland then Ireland when we were over there for the IMM no smoke totally reliable it ran excellent and better gas mileage than the one i was driving LOL.

MiniDave

What do you suppose they towed with it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Albannach

It's still to make its Towing debut. I've agreed to help out a Forum member by Towing his Small, Camper Trailer to the Docks. He bought it last year and it's been stored on a Driveway at his Sisters, near Birmingham since then. So only 100 miles or so from there to Southampton. Should be ok, so long as I take it nice and steady. Gross Weight of trailer is 300kgs, plus it's empty, so well within the Minis legal Towing capacity.

Jimini2.... Was that the Mini you won Guido's Economy Drive at the IMM in?  Wish I'd known about it as this wee car Sips fuel compared to the Anniversary Cooper you won with. LoL

Jimini II

Yes the 35th Anniversary Cooper with us and the Aussies in it beat Guido fair and square in his late model UK spec Mini after he made his three passengers walk up a steep hill which we drove up. All good fun i got lucky and drafted a cube van for around 10 miles which i am sure helped a lot, passengers were not too impressed with the closeness of the rear bumper lol. We were nowhere near the first place guy who apparently holds some kind of record for this event, he did something like 72 mpg.

MiniDave

Isn't Guido's Mini an automatic?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

He has several. The one he uses a lot here in the States is an automatic but the one he has and drives in the UK and Europe is a 1275 MPI manual.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

As the saying goes: pictures or it didn't happen.

Congrats on a safe and easy entry process.  Some ports are friendlier than others.