Lowered mini

Started by towjoe, August 24, 2016, 03:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towjoe

Does anyone know the lowest you can go, without resorting to lowered shocks?  (Measured from the seam just below the door opening.)
I'm about to buy new shocks. Any suggestions there?
I'm going to add camber ,castor rear track brackets.

I run 12"   # 539 Yokos.  On the front I have on car adjustable lower arms, heavy duty tie rod bars.
Engine 1293, lightened flywheel ( 9.4#),RE 13 OT cam, ARP mains,rods and head. Clutch assembly Verto Turbo,clutch and pressure plate.
Head ported and polished ,intakes Rimflo  35.5 mm, std exhaust , 1.5 to 1 forged Mini Spares (Keith Dodd)rocker arm assembly.
Transmission,uprated diff pin, 2.95 diff,std gearing with 3 syncro A type springs.
All rebuilt by me.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Some people shorten the bump stops, or take them out all together.....I think there's all of about 3" of travel total in the front suspension.

I think unless you're wanting to run it slammed std shocks should work fine.

BTW, running it lowered really ruins the ride, not to mention making it impossible to go over the tiniest bumps or pull into some parking lots - probably not a problem in Fla(tland) - but it looks cool.

Have you posted pics of you car, or done a build thread? I know I'd like to see it!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Dave ,
Yes I can post pics , some of the build, and of the car.

Car after paint, from the gutters down.

jedduh01

Nice build.

In my experience = Lowered were required for any  moderately low mini's.   I had the problem in the rear... installed Normal GAZ struts and a with wheel gap of about 3-4 fingers of the rear tire  to the fender flare.  Normal driving was OK = but when you hit a hard DIP or a quick road bump the rear WOULD bottom out = Worse when there was a bit of a load on the rear Passenger or luggage.

I also had 12x5's with same Yoko's = here my car was =right before sold = no rubbing = 'lowish' but with Lowered shocks because i knew i would keep it lower vs more standard height.

My neighborhood has speed humps = and yes= toof ast on those = bottom out and Blam the struts.

If your are running less that 4 fingers = i would suggest lowered.

(same occured to a friend = didnt think he was low - but the standards bottomed out)

MiniDave

Hmmm.......your car doesn't look that low, are you sure it was the shocks bottoming out?

I'm thinking of ordering some coil overs for my car, I was going to just run standards but my car sits about like that one....now I'm not so sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

AGX EVO  shocks look pretty good to me.
Whats your opinion?
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

jedduh01

Ill correct myself with an earlier Height picture.

Earlier on  i got the car =  Installed New Cones= Hi Los' and shocks... ran it low.

And as mentioned= LOW cars ride rough=  so I raised it up = See the above pic,

This pic is a bit older = rougher but definitely LOWER.  After changing from Standard to lowered the Knock on heavy compression went away.

The queen loves green minis!

towjoe

My mini sits at three fingers between tire and flare. (2.5") all the way around.
I'm leaning towards AGX from Mini Spares. I think they are made by KYB.
Comments please.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MtyMous

One issue I considered when buying shocks for my lowered car was the droop issue in the rear under extreme conditions. I purchase short body shocks because their travel was appropriate for my ride height. Went with the GAZ adjustables, and they work great for moderately low and very low cars. When I say consider the droop, I'm talking about a 3 wheel situation where a lowered car can actually unseat the spring from the perch in a droop condition. Of course it's not ideal to use the shock body as a limiting strap, but this would be for extreme situations only. If you're on 3 wheels often, then you should probably look for other means of limiting droop. lol

MiniDave

I'm planning to use coilovers.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Some years ago, I started building a table of damper lengths using Calver's table as a base.  I never got to finish it.

Maybe someone would like to take it on and fill in some of the blanks, like the KYB AGX rear compressed length figure. 
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

and the table I started to do
- Pave the Bay -

towjoe

John...............

Evolution KGX  ( twin-tube gas adjustable)
Front # 743039
Fully open:   324 mm       12.76"
Fully closed: 210mm         8.268"
Operating stroke length:  114mm   4.882"

Rear   # 743040
Fully open:   362mm        14.25"
Fully closed: 235mm         9.252"
Operating stroke length:  127mm    5.0"

Regards
towjoe 77.gif

towjoe

John..............

Spax Mini Spares

Front # C-STR306
Fully open :    12.894"      327.5 mm
Fully closed :   8.996"       228.5 mm
Operating stroke length :   3.898"    99 mm

Rear  # C-STR307
Fully open :     15.167"      385.25 mm
Fully closed :    10.29"       261.25 mm
Operating stroke length :   4.882"     124 mm

VAN / ESTATE WOODY
Rear  #C-STR306
Fully open :      16.152"       410.25 mm
Fully closed :     10.68"        271.25 mm
Operating stroke length :     5.472"    139 mm
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

towjoe

Update.....................
I ordered the AGX EVO's and rear camber,castor,and toe brackets MS73EVO .
Thanks for all your input.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

John Gervais

I've heard good things about the AGX - been on my wish list for years.  Someday...

Thanks for the data -
- Pave the Bay -

Minty

How was the KYB? Would like to know your feedback if it's better than the Bilstein shocks.

MiniDave

Minty, Joe passed away a short while ago, just FYI.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Oh?  That came as a bit of a surprise to me.  Terribly sorry to hear the news, I guess he fought it as best he could.

Our condolences -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

To all of us John, it really moved fast, they said they thought they got it all but it came back with a vengeance.....IIRC he passed away this past summer.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad